2016 Tahoe fuel injector

I had a check engine light come on my 2016 Tahoe 5.3 . Dealer stated injector #5 was failing, $1016 to replace it. The vehicle has 55000 miles and still is under drive train warranty. Dealer also stated injectors are not under drive train warranty account they are not part of the drive train even though you have to take intake manifold off to get inside the engine to replace them.  4.6 hours labor to replace one,at $100 an hour.That makes the part nearly $500  ?????   I told him to push it out the door if they couldn't get it to run and I would have a wrecker pick it up.  Then they charged me $116 for plugging computer up and fullfilling 2 GM recalls.???Then they tried to sell me an extended warranty for $3300. WOW !!!  I need a telephone number for customer service at GM in Charlotte, N.C. 

It would appear that fuel injectors are a relatively common failure point on the direct injection GM V8's starting in 2014-ish and can cause misfire issues (and therefore a CEL). It would also appear that fuel injectors, for whatever reason, are not covered under the GM factory warranty.

I learned this after owning one of these trucks for one day. 

Edited by Prospect62

• 2 years later...
On 1/31/2020 at 6:44 PM, Gary Michael said:

I had a check engine light come on my 2016 Tahoe 5.3 . Dealer stated injector #5 was failing, $1016 to replace it. The vehicle has 55000 miles and still is under drive train warranty. Dealer also stated injectors are not under drive train warranty account they are not part of the drive train even though you have to take intake manifold off to get inside the engine to replace them.  4.6 hours labor to replace one,at $100 an hour.That makes the part nearly $500  ?????   I told him to push it out the door if they couldn't get it to run and I would have a wrecker pick it up.  Then they charged me $116 for plugging computer up and fullfilling 2 GM recalls.???Then they tried to sell me an extended warranty for $3300. WOW !!!  I need a telephone number for customer service at GM in Charlotte, N.C. 

Hey Gary, we have 2016 Chevy Tahoe, 33,000 miles, just had injectors replaced, no charge. The injectors have150,000 miles or 10 year, special extended warranty, from GM. They also have to replace hard lines feeding fuel to fuel rail, considered one time use part, all covered, including intake seal/gaskets.