Power Steering Noise- started at 100 miles!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
On 3/13/2020 at 2:19 PM, Limelight said:

Update...

The second dealer also stated the noise is NOT normal. We compared to another 2500 LTZ and no noise. 

Called customer service again (they acted like they knew nothing about it at first...) and setup another appointment with the original dealer- now I’m dealing with the Service Director only. 

The service director ordered and replaced the Booster Inlet Hose # SPO 084150115 (2 days at the dealer).   When I picked the truck up there was no noise. Once it warmed up- the Groaning noise is still there and now there are also noises that sound like possible air in the lines. 

I take it back in Monday which will make 5 dealer visits for this issue.

If it’s not fixed this time around is this a lemon law case?  Hate to do it, but 2200 miles....

Can you give us an update having same issue with mine  not having any luck on a fix saying is normal bs if you ask me just spend 60+ to have a humming noise 

• 8 months later...

Any updates on this? I have a 2020 Denali HD Duramax and am having the same issues. Had the truck in the dealership 6 times now. They’ve replaced the intermediate shaft, power steering pump and still making the same noise. Very frustrating as I absolutely love this truck, but getting a bit ridiculous 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/2/2021 at 7:51 PM, JoeAbb said:

Any updates on this? I have a 2020 Denali HD Duramax and am having the same issues. Had the truck in the dealership 6 times now. They’ve replaced the intermediate shaft, power steering pump and still making the same noise. Very frustrating as I absolutely love this truck, but getting a bit ridiculous 

I sat in 3 different gas 2500 at the dealer that made the same noise.  2 others didn’t make the noise. GM seems either clueless on how to fix or just unwilling to repair something that’s apparently just an annoyance. 

so.  ...

I bought a tiny Flowmaster muffler and now I barely hear it.  Seriously, that’s what I did. I’m tired of wasting time on it, I really like the truck otherwise. 

• 1 year later...

I have a 2022 2500hd LTZ gasser and had the same dreaded low speed (under 35mph) power steering whine since brand new.  Sounded like the noisy 1990s Ford power steering units.  First, took it back to the dealer with still under 1000 miles on it and they replaced the power steering pump. They claimed it helped but did not entirely fix the problem.  Picked it up and did not notice any improvement with the issue.  Took it back again and they worked with GM tech support and agreed to replace all the hoses.  They claimed the issue is poor and over crimped hoses causing restriction. Fixed the problem and 100% better.  

• 2 months later...
On 2/4/2020 at 2:34 PM, Limelight said:

Well..

I just traded in my 2019 1500T1 Z71 LTZ Friday for a 2020 2500 Z71 LTZ Gas.  Basically a bigger brother with a few more options.

On the way home from the dealer I started to hear a groaning sound from the power steering.  It has Digital Variable steering assist.   Sounds like a bad power steering pump from the ones I have heard in the past.  Sound changes with engine RPM, gets louder once warmed up and louder the farther you turn the wheel each way.  Truck has 297 miles...  :(

I haven't seen any complaints about this for the new model unless I missed the thread.  Anybody else?

My dealer has been great, providing me with a brand new Malibu loaner car, but damn I want my truck, lol!  

UPDATE

As I type this they just called me.  "Known issue, no  fix yet per GM" .  They are submitting a report or something like that.  They also admitted it shouldn't make that noise.  The Tech seemed genuinely concerned to fix it but no resolution.  I'm headed to pick it up now. It drives perfectly, just annoying to hear that all the time.

Hope this doesn't turn into one of "those" threads...dammit.

Well, it 2023 and my brand new Silverado gasser is doing the same as all you guys are talking about. Very disappointed with this noise in a $64k truck with 1100mi! Glad I found this thread. At least I know I’m not alone. Made my 1st appointment with the dealer. The mechanic said he’d try another pump. Here’s hoping!

On 1/22/2023 at 2:10 PM, TP5554 said:

I have a 2022 2500hd LTZ gasser and had the same dreaded low speed (under 35mph) power steering whine since brand new.  Sounded like the noisy 1990s Ford power steering units.  First, took it back to the dealer with still under 1000 miles on it and they replaced the power steering pump. They claimed it helped but did not entirely fix the problem.  Picked it up and did not notice any improvement with the issue.  Took it back again and they worked with GM tech support and agreed to replace all the hoses.  They claimed the issue is poor and over crimped hoses causing restriction. Fixed the problem and 100% better.  

Going to ask about this fix when I bring mine in! Thank you!

• 1 month later...

I've had 3 2500s and all of em are noisy, my 1500s not a peep....

Trucks drove and steered fine just noisey especially at full lock....read somewhere it's normal for HD trucks.....slow speed turning the wheel they groan a bit....assuming this isn't what OP is talking about though

• 9 months later...

What Fisker said..is what my 2022 3500 gasser is doing.  Been doing this since it was new. I have 25,000 on it now and still makes the noise and didnt get any worse. I'm going to leave it alone so not to cause a "real" problem from human hands.

I like the thought of crimped or restricked hoses though, When/if mine ever leak and i replace, maybe the noise will go away lol

No idea if this will work for you, but I posted on this back in December:

FWIW

The whine was driving me nuts too and it started at about 5000 miles.

Dipstick read right in the middle of range. So I sucked all the oil out which was VERY DARK (while rotating the wheel all the way left and right). Then I flushed it with new oil (siphoning and refilling). Since my mechanic friend said I should add a leak additive, I added: 

Bar’s Leaks - Power Steering Repair

And finished with it filled to the top line of the dipstick. 

Happened to be taking a 300mi drive the next day. When I arrived the sound was much quieter.

Sounds like it did from the factory.