Footwell Lights Door Wire

I purchased an Opt7 Footwell Light kit that I'm going to install in the 2019 Silverado. I have been following a few threads on how to install the lights, and have gotten the basic install down for me to be able to control them remotely, however, I cannot figure out the door light feature. Does anyone know where I can find the hot wire that activates when the door is open, or conversely when the dome light some on? I need to tap into one of those two wires to get the light kit to operate when I open the door, but I absolutely cannot figure out which wire is the correct one. Anyone done footwell lights yet, or know where I might be able to figure out where to find that wire? How would I even go about manually testing for the door/dome activated wire..? Thanks for the help.

Opt-7 Footwell Light Kit
GM-Trucks 2019 Silverado Footwell Light Post

If one image on another forum is correct it should be the 3rd wire in on the white plug under the driver side dash (the plug closest to the driver seat). However, I want to confirm before I tap, as I hate tapping these wires and there are multiple grey wires in that plug...

db5ed6c7b3ce2e6474a7fd6cbdf54c10.jpg

2 minutes ago, Smoothbassman said:

It's the 3rd gray wire on the white BCM connector.

See the photo where the green wire is going into. e3cc59e296806fd70345971444793a4a.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Awesome, thank you sir! That's what I thought, just wanted to confirm with someone who's already done it.

Another question, where the hell did you mount your LED strips under the dash? I just realized there's not a nice flat place to mount them like there was on my 2012 Tahoe. Just a very crooked metal bar. Interested to see where you put them

Alex, 

I am also curious to where to mount the strips?
Guys

Here's how I mounted mine.

Zip ties on drivers side and rear seats. You won't be able to see any of this from the outside as it's under the dash.

7a5803d8574bd06f13bdd0c98f552f00.jpg

And on the passenger side theres a nice spot where you can stick the adhesive to

55b5abeee1e21e9112cab18c5ce8d3ff.jpg

Just get creative and mess around until you get something you like.

You may know about these but when doing these type of projects I use these to tap wire

https://www.posi-products.com/posiplug.html
These are awesome. I used to use these all the time but found over time it's just cheaper to strip and solder up the connections I need.

• 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello, I guess the 2021 GMC Sierra changed up things a bit.  I do not have the grey wire coming out of the white plug., Have anyone put the foot well lights on the 2021 truck, if so what wire did you use and the location.  Strange thing is when I disconnect the plug the lights goes out on the dome, but I cannot find the individual wire that controls the light. Help!

9F6C3A99-7F68-47DA-9A7D-B78785BF11D7.jpeg

48DBC59C-2794-46C9-9A50-9095AD94AF84.jpeg

10 hours ago, Roadhog56 said:

Hello, I guess the 2021 GMC Sierra changed up things a bit.  I do not have the grey wire coming out of the white plug., Have anyone put the foot well lights on the 2021 truck, if so what wire did you use and the location.  Strange thing is when I disconnect the plug the lights goes out on the dome, but I cannot find the individual wire that controls the light. Help!

9F6C3A99-7F68-47DA-9A7D-B78785BF11D7.jpeg

48DBC59C-2794-46C9-9A50-9095AD94AF84.jpeg

The bottom picture is showing brown, pink and gray. You need to use the white connector to the left or towards the seat.

• 2 years later...

I've read through all the threads I could find on this and it seems most folks are using this method to power them. However I have the opposite question that doesn't seem to be stated on any of them. Do they power down when the dome lights turn off? Plan on doing this in the next few months when it warms up and trying to plan out this mod and others.