In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

I have experienced an issue while backing out of the driveway.  Once backed out I go from reverse to drive and there is a delay and then the truck violently slams forward.  My truck has 3300 miles and it has happened twice.  Today was the second time and it was bad.  This has been the only issue I have experienced other than very minor jerks and stuff which isn’t a big deal.  I usually always let the truck warm up a minute or so before I drive because of the weird things that happen with the trans.   

I came from a 2015 sierra Denali where my 8spd had to be replaced at 30,000 miles for similar issues but happened all the time.  

many help would be appreciated!

thanks 

I have a similar issue. When i start up my truck for the first time of the day, I put it in drive and it jerks forward a little.

I really thought things were going great with this truck minus the 4 recalls I need to get taken care of.  Now I’m just regretting not waiting until 2020 to get the 10 speed.  I drive a 2010 piece of junk ford explorer for work with 183,000 miles on it and the transmission is smooth and works great.  Wish my new truck could do the same.  

• Like 1

The A8 transmission can really be miserable. The jerk is from the fluid bleeding out of the torque converter. What was your build date? They have a double fluid flush TSB that many say helps using a different trans fluid. Call your dealer.

Build date is 7-15-19 which I believe means I have the new fluid.  I had a new transmission put in my 2015 sierra and new fluid in it and it still had issues.  The fluid may fix a few things but the main problem is still there in all the 8 speeds I think.  

I have a related issue. Mine is only on the first shift of the day. It seems there is a delay from 1st to second after I back it out of the garage for the first time. It’s fine after that. Of course, dealer cannot duplicate. It happens 90% of the time. Mine is a Jan 2019 build. It started around 8000 miles. I also had a gm buyback from a 2016 with a bad 8 speed so also a little gun shy. 

8 hours ago, bmoney5813 said:

I have a related issue. Mine is only on the first shift of the day. It seems there is a delay from 1st to second after I back it out of the garage for the first time. It’s fine after that. Of course, dealer cannot duplicate. It happens 90% of the time. Mine is a Jan 2019 build. It started around 8000 miles. I also had a gm buyback from a 2016 with a bad 8 speed so also a little gun shy. 

Mine does the same, its become habit that I baby that first 1-2 shift when taking off.

Mine also does the same as OP once in a while. I found that letting the rpms drop before leaving has helped, also counting to 2 after stopping in reverse before putting the truck in drive.

It's dumb to have to do these things but now I do it without thinking. I have a 2007 silverado at work and the old girl shifts worlds better without anyone being nice to her, so does my 2011 Honda Accord beater with 125k miles.

When I first start my truck in the AM, I let the instrument cluster do it's "full sweep" before I put it in gear. 

Don't have any problems.

I have noticed that if I don't wait these few seconds, that the transmission has a tendency to slam into 1st.

My 2014 with the 6spd did this also.

Every vehicle I own I baby the 1-2 shift. It’s a habit from owning performance vehicles. Most every vehicle has enough HP to trigger traction control. When I say baby I let off a bit before the 1-2 shift. Sometimes I shift manually.  

1 hour ago, batman900 said:

Mine does the same, its become habit that I baby that first 1-2 shift when taking off.

Mine also does the same as OP once in a while. I found that letting the rpms drop before leaving has helped, also counting to 2 after stopping in reverse before putting the truck in drive.

It's dumb to have to do these things but now I do it without thinking. I have a 2007 silverado at work and the old girl shifts worlds better without anyone being nice to her, so does my 2011 Honda Accord beater with 125k miles.

I have 80000kms on my 19 trail boss now. This used to happen but I learned once I go from

reverse to drive you have to “pause” before

shifting into drive and be in complete stop for a couple seconds. If you rush it , it will delay and clunk in a forward motion. Hasn’t happened since I started pausing between shifts 

15 hours ago, Ranger522vx said:

Build date is 7-15-19 which I believe means I have the new fluid.  I had a new transmission put in my 2015 sierra and new fluid in it and it still had issues.  The fluid may fix a few things but the main problem is still there in all the 8 speeds I think.  

Yea you should have the new fluid. I believe they started using it in January of 19.

4 hours ago, Vicarod said:

When I first start my truck in the AM, I let the instrument cluster do it's "full sweep" before I put it in gear. 

Don't have any problems.

I have noticed that if I don't wait these few seconds, that the transmission has a tendency to slam into 1st.

My 2014 with the 6spd did this also.

This is a very common issue with the A8 transmission. Usually it’s only the first shift of the day. Once the transmission warms a bit it’s usually fine. Honestly I can’t believe they are still producing this turd.

I wish there was some way they could rip this pos transmission out of my truck and put in the 10 speed.  They should have put the 10 speed in the LT trail boss to begin with.  

22 minutes ago, ILSilverado said:

This is a very common issue with the A8 transmission. Usually it’s only the first shift of the day. Once the transmission warms a bit it’s usually fine. Honestly I can’t believe they are still producing this turd.

I'll tell you, I have no gripe with this transmission.  I like how it shifts and it is smooth.  I find it better than the 6spd I had previous.

Hopefully the 10spd is even better...when I upgrade to a new interior 😀

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vicarod said:

I'll tell you, I have no gripe with this transmission.  I like how it shifts and it is smooth.  I find it better than the 6spd I had previous.

Hopefully the 10spd is even better...when I upgrade to a new interior 😀

Nice to hear someone got a well behaved A8. The 10 speed is very good it’s what I have now.