Tire / Wheel Qx

I have a 3500 AT4 DMax.  First - I did search and try to decipher, but am a bit lost - I am looking to upgrade tires and possibly wheels.  I know there are lots of threads on this, however I find the info a bit tough to digest as most are interested in leveling, big tires, etc.  I want a modest upgrade.

I have seen folks put 35x12.5R20s on stock rims with no rubbing/issues - is this fact or fiction?  Not interested in leveling or cranking torsions.

I am liking some Fuel wheel options - can someone explain the offset and backspacing?  I see 1, 18 and 20 options.   Definitely not interested in the the sider than fender look - what would be a direct replacement for stock wheels (if 35x12.5s will work)?

I appreciate your help and guidance 

35x12.5 on stock wheels should have no rubbing, that's true.  Many here have done that without issue.

I had 295/65/20s installed with Fuel Blitz wheels 20x9, with +20 offset.  I didn't concern myself too much with backspacing.

Here is a side view.  My truck is fully stock on the suspension.  I had very, very slight rubbing on the front fender liners, but I was able to resolve that by pinning back the bottom edge of the liner using a zip tie on each side looped around the lower valance/bumper support.

ZEB2aNi.jpg

rJGklx4.jpg

FaCvt9f.jpg

Edited by cdh7917
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, cdh7917 said:

35x12.5 on stock wheels should have no rubbing, that's true.  Many here have done that without issue.

I had 295/85/20s installed with Fuel Blitz wheels 20x9, with +20 offset.  I didn't concern myself too much with backspacing.

295/65 R20

Thank you, cdh7917!

Definitely bad ass as I am looking at same wheels.  My AT4 is Black.  If your wheels offset was 0, would you still think they would rub?  How do you like the Ridge Grapplers after living with them for a while?  I had KO2s on my 15 DMax and liked them, but your setup looks great.

here's thew bottom line, since i've spent literally days looking at wheels.

a few fact..

The factory wheel i think is a 20" with a +34 offset with 8.5 wide rims

backspacing is the distance from the inner face of the hub to the inside rim.

tires rub with wheels that have a high NEGATIVE offset because the front wheel essentially swings a wider circle and will hit the back of the bumper or the splash guard.

the factory backspacing is 6.25" and when i shop wheels and because i am looking to keep them close to the truck like stock so they don't rub and don't stick out. i don't bother looking at offset rather i look at backspacing.

i can save you a lot of time and tell you if your going for this look stick with FUEL wheels. they are the only brand that offers high positive offsets and high backspacing.I

I want 22's because 20's are way to common and i am looking for an ON ROAD not off road look for my truck.

I also want exposed lugs not crappy plastic wheel caps. and the bolt pattern is 8x180mm so that limits me to about 4 choices.

currently for me i have settled on the newly announced FUEL rebel 8 because it has exposed lugs, comes in 22 and +13mm offset on a 10" wide wheel comes out to about 6.02" backspace it's 10 inches wide so it should only stick out just over 1.5" from stock.

also if your looking for 22" tires i am getting NITTO terra grappler g2 in 285/55/22 as they are the exact same diameter as stock (maybe within 1/8th of an inch) which will keep the speedo accurate and least chance of rubbing on stock suspension.

in this size and load range E (pay close attention to this if you TOW) there are only 3 tires on the market in this fitment.

keep in mind there are about 22.5 mm in an inch so if you get a 0 offset wheel from the +13 i picked that's about half an inch FARTHER from the truck.

you'll see from their website at this link they do not have 22x10x+13 listed yet as they are pre-ordered still for a few more months. But of the sizes listed pay special attention to the BACKSPACING several of these wheels list a 4.75" backspace. with the factory being 6.25" this means even if you had an 8.5" wide wheel it will stick out 1.5 inches farther than stock, if you go with a 10" wide wheel now your a full 3 inches poke out from the factory outer edge of the wheel than stock.

you put a larger tire on that combo and you have a recipe for rubbing and you definitely need a lift and or heavy modification to clearance from rubbing.

If your looking for a 20" there are a LOT more choices such as the BLITZ as pictured above from the other poster. looking at his fitment he has probably a + offset wheel in 20" and there are tons of tires in that size. i like the blitz wheel but dislike the chunky tires, poor MPG, reduced performance, inaccurate speedometer readings and unless you chose offset carefully potential rubbing issues.

I have a daily driver, this truck sits in the garage unless i am towing my trailer to go camping, dirt-biking, 4 wheelering, boating or need a snow vehicle in which case the factory wheels go back on for winter duty.

i also think i am going to get similar wheels for my trailer to match the truck!

heres a pic

spacer.png

3 hours ago, H1ghlndr said:

Thank you, cdh7917!

Definitely bad ass as I am looking at same wheels.  My AT4 is Black.  If your wheels offset was 0, would you still think they would rub?  How do you like the Ridge Grapplers after living with them for a while?  I had KO2s on my 15 DMax and liked them, but your setup looks great.

Thanks!

If you go with a +0, I think your outer edge/shoulder will rub on the valance when the front wheels are turned inward. And if you don’t rub there, you’re going to for sure have worse rubbing on the liner at full lock.  IMHO, +20 is the perfect balance. I had +20 on my 18 2500HD, and +0 on a 2014 1500. 

+20 is my choice all day.

As for tires, I do like the Ridge Grapplers a lot. A nice aggressive looking tire with excellent road manners still. They’re quiet, ride smooth, and track well. Snow performance has been great too. I’ve always run Terra Grappler G2s before, but I’m really happy I decided to switch. I don’t think you’d be disappointed with them. Only drawback is the price at ~$370ish per tire in a 295/65/20. 

Funny the timing...  one of my wheels arrived with the very slightest of damage on the lip. You had to spend time looking for the spot because it was damn near covered with the tire mounted. I asked for it to be replaced with a new one, and I’m finally having it swapped today. 

Anyway, the shop ended up selling me back the damaged wheel for $65. Eventually I’ll pick up another matching tire and just rotate 5. And since I changed size from factory, it’ll be nice to have a spare that matches the new size. The factory spare is a 33.x” (275/70/18) on an 18”. 

• Like 1

here's thew bottom line, since i've spent literally days looking at wheels.

a few fact..
The factory wheel i think is a 20" with a +34 offset with 8.5 wide rims
backspacing is the distance from the inner face of the hub to the inside rim.

tires rub with wheels that have a high NEGATIVE offset because the front wheel essentially swings a wider circle and will hit the back of the bumper or the splash guard.

the factory backspacing is 6.25" and when i shop wheels and because i am looking to keep them close to the truck like stock so they don't rub and don't stick out. i don't bother looking at offset rather i look at backspacing.
i can save you a lot of time and tell you if your going for this look stick with FUEL wheels. they are the only brand that offers high positive offsets and high backspacing.I
I want 22's because 20's are way to common and i am looking for an ON ROAD not off road look for my truck.
I also want exposed lugs not crappy plastic wheel caps. and the bolt pattern is 8x180mm so that limits me to about 4 choices.
currently for me i have settled on the newly announced FUEL rebel 8 because it has exposed lugs, comes in 22 and +13mm offset on a 10" wide wheel comes out to about 6.02" backspace it's 10 inches wide so it should only stick out just over 1.5" from stock.
also if your looking for 22" tires i am getting NITTO terra grappler g2 in 285/55/22 as they are the exact same diameter as stock (maybe within 1/8th of an inch) which will keep the speedo accurate and least chance of rubbing on stock suspension.
in this size and load range E (pay close attention to this if you TOW) there are only 3 tires on the market in this fitment.
keep in mind there are about 22.5 mm in an inch so if you get a 0 offset wheel from the +13 i picked that's about half an inch FARTHER from the truck.
you'll see from their website at this link they do not have 22x10x+13 listed yet as they are pre-ordered still for a few more months. But of the sizes listed pay special attention to the BACKSPACING several of these wheels list a 4.75" backspace. with the factory being 6.25" this means even if you had an 8.5" wide wheel it will stick out 1.5 inches farther than stock, if you go with a 10" wide wheel now your a full 3 inches poke out from the factory outer edge of the wheel than stock.
you put a larger tire on that combo and you have a recipe for rubbing and you definitely need a lift and or heavy modification to clearance from rubbing.
If your looking for a 20" there are a LOT more choices such as the BLITZ as pictured above from the other poster. looking at his fitment he has probably a + offset wheel in 20" and there are tons of tires in that size. i like the blitz wheel but dislike the chunky tires, poor MPG, reduced performance, inaccurate speedometer readings and unless you chose offset carefully potential rubbing issues.
I have a daily driver, this truck sits in the garage unless i am towing my trailer to go camping, dirt-biking, 4 wheelering, boating or need a snow vehicle in which case the factory wheels go back on for winter duty.
i also think i am going to get similar wheels for my trailer to match the truck!
heres a pic
REBEL-8LUG-20x10-ET-18-MATTE-ANTHRACITE-W-BLK-RING-A1_1000_2862.png

Don’t get those wheels.

Haha jk, I love those, I have the Bronze ones on order and should be here any day now, a week max, they’ve been on backorder for about a month.

Also just wanted to add on to the whole backspacing and offset info. Keep in mind wheel width plays a big role in those numbers as well.

Offset - the “offset” in mm from the center of the wheel

Backspacing - the distance in inches from the inside of the rim to the flat part of the wheel that mounts against your hub.

So a 0 offset on a 9” wide wheel would mean the wheel is 4.5” on either side if the mounting point. A 0 offset on a 10” wide wheel would be 5” on either side.

A -25 offset on a 10” wide wheel would be 4” on the inside and 6” on the outside of the mounting point.

So when people talk about offset only and talk about rubbing or clearance issues, keep in mind that unless your wheel is the same width, you may have different results.

Don’t get those wheels.

Haha jk, I love those, I have the Bronze ones on order and should be here any day now, a week max, they’ve been on backorder for about a month.

Also just wanted to add on to the whole backspacing and offset info. Keep in mind wheel width plays a big role in those numbers as well.

Offset - the “offset” in mm from the center of the wheel

Backspacing - the distance in inches from the inside of the rim to the flat part of the wheel that mounts against your hub.

So a 0 offset on a 9” wide wheel would mean the wheel is 4.5” on either side if the mounting point. A 0 offset on a 10” wide wheel would be 5” on either side.

A -25 offset on a 10” wide wheel would be 4” on the inside and 6” on the outside of the mounting point.

So when people talk about offset only and talk about rubbing or clearance issues, keep in mind that unless your wheel is the same width, you may have different results.

What offset and size did you get?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What offset and size did you get?

A little different than most.

22x10, -18

I don’t have tires yet but doing 35’s, F load rating. I’ll also be waiting to install them until after I do some sort of leveling kit due to the low offset. Will wait until I can do some test figments before determining which leveling kit but leaning towards 3+1.

I love that offset on a 10” wide wheel, for me it’s perfect and what I’ve had on my past trucks including my old 2019 Silverado 1500.

But yeah with those dimensions you can’t just slap them on and go.

A little different than most.

22x10, -18

I don’t have tires yet but doing 35’s, F load rating. I’ll also be waiting to install them until after I do some sort of leveling kit due to the low offset. Will wait until I can do some test figments before determining which leveling kit but leaning towards 3+1.

I love that offset on a 10” wide wheel, for me it’s perfect and what I’ve had on my past trucks including my old 2019 Silverado 1500.

But yeah with those dimensions you can’t just slap them on and go.

Yea those are available now the +13 are a few months out. Definitely post pics when you get them on

• Like 1