Icon tubular UCA

I ran billet Icons on my Tacoma with the uniball before and never had issues. But recently my friend had an issue with Icon tubulars with Delta joints on his GMC. Literally snapped right off while he was driving on the road and damaged a lot of stuff. You can see right there how his tire is just laying flat in the ground in a parking lot! Not sure if I would recommend them anymore.
48034b20c4cf4c5cfaed1977bce68ab5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was told on the phone that those uca's with the uniball are only good for 15k miles max. They have a different style that has a clearance ball joint they prefer for the daily driver the rep said.  

So that's why I didnt buy em and just bought a different brand ball joint style for 3 inch and up lifts.  I have 400.00 rough countrys but I dont hammer it offroad , its basically a 3 inch lifted daily driver.

I would recommend Total Chaos. The only thing is the maintenance on them. If you don’t lube them up often they squeak but they last a long time and great quality.

5ccf92d1c76457d33f059fe0f99cfca6.jpg

7 hours ago, RadoPhan said:

I ran billet Icons on my Tacoma with the uniball before and never had issues. But recently my friend had an issue with Icon tubulars with Delta joints on his GMC. Literally snapped right off while he was driving on the road and damaged a lot of stuff. You can see right there how his tire is just laying flat in the ground in a parking lot! Not sure if I would recommend them anymore.
48034b20c4cf4c5cfaed1977bce68ab5.jpg

Yikes!!! This is the exact setup I've started leaning towards from my Chevy - King 2.5's with ICON tubular UCA.  What in the actual f

As an aside do you have any other pictures of his truck pre-Fup?

For what its worth the folks over at filthy motorsports look like they recommend the camburgs with king set up per their website.

Speaking with Accutune, they recommended the ICONs with Delta Joint due to it being sealed and cutting down on a lot of squeeking.

I ended up going with the BajaKits UCA with Uniball with Delrin Bushings instead of the polyurethane bushings. Which are supposed to be harder and squeak and have less movement. 

Havent got them in yet but their staff was very good to work with over email.

Yikes!!! This is the exact setup I've started leaning towards from my Chevy - King 2.5's with ICON tubular UCA.  What in the actual f

As an aside do you have any other pictures of his truck pre-Fup?

For what its worth the folks over at filthy motorsports look like they recommend the camburgs with king set up per their website.

No he actually sent me a video of the aftermath and that was a snapshot from it. Literally on pavement driving less then 5mph and a loud noise and scooted up and the tire fell off. Had to replace the axle and many other parts. The joint snapped right off. Yeah I would recommend Camburg or Total Chaos.

I’ll be going with mazzulla or kibbetech UCAs

Totally forgot to mention those as well. All solid options. I do like that these are billet UCAs vs tubulars.

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/29/2020 at 6:21 PM, RadoPhan said:

No he actually sent me a video of the aftermath and that was a snapshot from it. Literally on pavement driving less then 5mph and a loud noise and scooted up and the tire fell off. Had to replace the axle and many other parts. The joint snapped right off. Yeah I would recommend Camburg or Total Chaos.

Did your friend find out any more information about how and what happened? I assume he would have reached out to ICON about this problem. Do you know if he'd been putting his truck through stress or is it a daily/street driver?  THX

Did your friend find out any more information about how and what happened? I assume he would have reached out to ICON about this problem. Do you know if he'd been putting his truck through stress or is it a daily/street driver?  THX

It was their newer delta joint. Their delta joint is like a ball joint. It’s a steel ball with an integrated threaded bolt that bolts to the spindle. The ball portion was poorly hardened steel and wore out, eventually allowing the ball to completely come out of the upper a arm cup. Everything was installed correctly, just wore down which is the crazy part.

42 minutes ago, RadoPhan said:

It was their newer delta joint. Their delta joint is like a ball joint. It’s a steel ball with an integrated threaded bolt that bolts to the spindle. The ball portion was poorly hardened steel and wore out, eventually allowing the ball to completely come out of the upper a arm cup. Everything was installed correctly, just wore down which is the crazy part.

Eesh. That’s what I was afraid of. Thanks for the quick response! 

• Like 1