In 20 seconds you can become part of the worlds largest and oldest community discussing General Motors, Chevrolet and GMC branded pickups, crossovers, and SUVs. From buying research to owner support, join 1.5 MILLION GM Truck Enthusiasts every month who use GM-Trucks.com as a daily part of their ownership experience. 

Garage Flooring Ideas? Easy sand/dirt Cleanup?

Hey all.   I live on a dirt road.   Despite having a paved driveway of about 100ft, it is no where near long enough for the tires to rid themselves of the dirt. 

Anyone have ideas on garage flooring? Right now I vacuum the garage floor with a shop vac about twice per year (spring and fall)  and I have to blow out the filter multiple times because the sand/dirt clogs it up rather quickly.  

Sweeping isn't really an option as it gets super dirty no matter how careful i try to be = shelves and all items on them covered in dust. 

I do see that they make these huge mats you can lay down that have a lip to contain water.   These look nice but I'm not really interested in spending hundreds on that. 

My next idea is maybe some outdoor type carpeting? Maybe cut up two pieces to follow the path of the tires.   Cleanup would be fairly easy,  I think.   Could power wash or simply shake it off outside. Not sure what would happen after driving in the rain and parking on it.

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with this?  Also would need to do on the wife's side as well.  

Edited by SkiDooNick700

• 5 months later...

I have the epoxy flooring.  Several layers of it.  The Rust-o-leum kit stinks BTW.  It needed to be re-done every year it seemed and would pull up if the tires were warm/damp then sat overnight.  I ended up going with the premade Behr stuff at Home Depot and haven't touched it in 10 years.  It could be re-done just to freshen it up, but it's not due to damage.  it's held up fine.

Second, I have a carpet runner down for the path of the tires.  Get one of those sharks for the garage and you're set.  Unless you're tracking in chunks when it's wet.

Real only picture I have of it;

NfrHKOh.jpg

• Like 1

I'm looking at epoxy as well but then I saw this VCT tile floor and the cost is less than epoxy. 

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2873&page=8

VCT floor.jpg

Edited by Black02Silverado