So I installed a Banks iDash yesterday and to my 2020 Chevy 1500 Duramax out for a drive today.  I saw pretty consistent 280-285 oil temps with normal unloaded driving.   I’m concerned this is rather high for an oil temp, ECT (engine coolant temps) were in the 200-217 range. 

Are theses EOT (engine oil temps) high, should I be concerned?  

Edited by Kkajvr6

I just got the 3.0L duramax.  I wouldnt bat an eye at oil temps.  

Diesels are nasty suckers on oil. Fresh oil turns grey in minutes.  I presume the turbo is oil cooled, so there's a major hotspot.

Just use good synthetic oil.

I'm pretty sure this engine is designed to run hot, especially when NOT under load.  It helps with the emissions.  When you are towing, you should see temps come down (sounds odd I know).  Check out Chad Ivan on YouTube he shows this across a couple different videos.

13 hours ago, Kkajvr6 said:

56 views and no comments?  Well today the temp got up to 291, I’ll be calling the dealer tomorrow. 

Got to remember this is a brand new Engine. 1 day and 56 views with no comments is pretty normal. Not a whole lot of people with it and not a whole lot of information out there on it.

It appears the duramax also has "Active Thermal Management" which is a valve that distributes hot coolant to parts of the engine that need to warm up. I Wonder if this is some kind of disconnect between your iDash and what the truck really thinks the temperature is. Youre not showing anything on the dash? Does the display show anything about engine temps or oil temps?

Edited by Jetiemann

The truck probably has it's own engine oil temp display.  2020 Acadia gasser has one.

Maybe some of the other 3.0L owners will pipe in with what temps they are seeing.  

Oil temp is one of the things they use to determine if the auto start/stop will function.  Engine computer program will be programmed to give a warning if temp is too high.  

This engine has TWO engine oil temp sensors --- according to the 'information' bulletin from last fall .

(and about 7 engine coolant temperature sensors)

Cooling System
Overview
The Duramax® 3.0L utilizes GM’s advanced cooling
system strategy known as Active Thermal Management
(ATM). ATM distributes coolant through the engine in a
targeted manner, sending heat where it’s needed to
warm up the engine, thereby reducing friction. It
promotes quicker heating of the passenger
compartment as needed and engine cooling when
needed during high power operation. The system uses
a conventional engine-driven coolant pump. The ECM
controls the complete ATM system using feedback from
various sensors.
The engine has numerous engine coolant temperature
(ECT) sensors placed at specific locations throughout
the cooling system as follows:
– Engine Block Coolant Temperature Sensor
– Engine Cylinder Head Coolant Temperature Sensor
– Engine Inlet Coolant Temperature Sensor
– Engine Outlet Coolant Temperature Sensor
– Radiator Outlet Coolant Temperature Sensor
– Heater Core Inlet Coolant Temperature Sensor
– Heater Core Outlet Coolant Temperature Sensor
Additional sensors used by the ECM to control the ATM
system are:
– Engine Oil Temperature Sensor 1 and Sensor 2
– Transmission Oil Temperature Sensor
– Control Valve Sensors

Edited by redwngr

I've watched Chad Ivan's YouTube videos where he records his gauges while driving. His oil temps were around 225-233F and coolant around 215F.

Are you able to view engine oil temp through the DIC? I know I can't on my 14 Sierra but can through my ScanGauge. My engine oil temps are usually pretty close to coolant temps (196-206F depending on outside temps). Seems the 3.0 Duramax wants to run a little warmer but 280F seems pretty high (especially for 0W-20 oil).

So I went back and watched some of Chad Ivan’s videos they show oil temps around 225, truck is headed to the dealer tomorrow.  I have the iDash and the TorqPro app like Chad is using, 280-290 oil temps is way too high.  Should only see a 10-20 degree variation between coolant and oil temps. 

Edited by Kkajvr6

Banks called me today, they are seeing similar readings on their test mule. They are analyzing the data and working on a firmware update to correct the value. 

Update, didn’t take the truck in today.  I chatted with Chad Ivan on YouTube yesterday he recommend using the generic PID vs the GM PID in TorquePro app.  Well from a cold start the generic value read 74 the GM value was 177, coolant and trans temp were 73-77 range.  Do definitely a bad scaling of the value coming off the ECU in the GM PID.  Shared this data with Banks as well.  My truck is fine, drove it around this event temps were within 10 of the coolant temp.  

On 4/6/2020 at 4:41 AM, SkiDooNick700 said:

I'm pretty sure this engine is designed to run hot, especially when NOT under load.  It helps with the emissions.  When you are towing, you should see temps come down (sounds odd I know).  Check out Chad Ivan on YouTube he shows this across a couple different videos.

It has very interesting heating/cooling properties or thermal management of engine and accessories.  The High temps are indeed for efficiency purposes.  Most of us are just BROW BEAT...COOL,COOL keep it cool.  we have learned much more about the temp/efficiency in last few years.  GM ROCKED THIS 3.0L  I am jealous! 

• Like 1

• 3 years later...