HVAC Fan Noise

• 7 months later...
On 4/6/2020 at 9:09 AM, DirtyAndy said:

At a certain fan rpm(one notch just below half) my fan will create a slight whistle. It’s by no means awful, but is noticeable. Just curious if anyone else has had something similar? Doesn’t seem to matter if it’s on defrost, front, etc.

I have a 2020 3.0 Duramax diesel.  Similar sound at same "certain rpm" fan speed, mainly slower.   Whistling noise started at 15,000.  I checked to make sure all vents are open.  Troubleshooted through all vent settings (defrost seemed to make it louder). Only setting that makes it go away is the recirculating mode.  Hate to keep it on recirc mode because it takes it off Auto mode.  

On 3/13/2021 at 11:56 AM, Jonnynorway777 said:

There’s a 30$ Insulated pad you can buy from GM that will fix the fan noise issue

Part number is: 84487175

Description: lower insulator for passenger side (hush panel) 

You’re welcome

On 3/14/2021 at 4:03 PM, gemarsh said:

Came with my Denali. 

20210314_150157.jpg

Thank you for pointing this out! Our '21 Silverado LT did not come with that panel so I just ordered one. I hope it comes with the mounting hardware, but it looks like they used three generic plastic "Christmas tree" push fasteners that I can probably get at the hardware store. We get some random squeak noises from the passenger side dash so I hope this helps.

• 2 months later...
On 11/2/2021 at 9:58 AM, voided3 said:

Thank you for pointing this out! Our '21 Silverado LT did not come with that panel so I just ordered one. I hope it comes with the mounting hardware, but it looks like they used three generic plastic "Christmas tree" push fasteners that I can probably get at the hardware store. We get some random squeak noises from the passenger side dash so I hope this helps.

Did adding this fix the issue?

2 minutes ago, Cboc21 said:

Did adding this fix the issue?

In our case, I believe our squeak was a heater hose that wasn't clipped back into place after we had the lifters replaced on our truck. Whether clipping it back into place or installing the panel had an effect, I can't confirm. For me, I like having the panel there knowing that it's extra sound deadening and it protects the wiring harnesses under the dash from accidentally getting kicked.

1 minute ago, voided3 said:

In our case, I believe our squeak was a heater hose that wasn't clipped back into place after we had the lifters replaced on our truck. Whether clipping it back into place or installing the panel had an effect, I can't confirm. For me, I like having the panel there knowing that it's extra sound deadening and it protects the wiring harnesses under the dash from accidentally getting kicked.

Ok I will probably order one then…thank you! 

• 1 year later...
On 4/6/2020 at 3:50 PM, Hydro4acid said:

I have this same issue. But it only happens sometimes. Sometimes my HVAC doesnt perform fully, as in doesnt flow as much air as it can. Happens about 1/15 times. When it doesnt peform to its fullest (for i dont know reasons), the whistle sound happens.

its frustrating but prob hard to diagnose since its impossible to replicate.

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? My 2022 AT4 just did this for the first time today. I turned the heat on high, and after about 10 seconds the fan speed lowered down to what seemed like medium, and there was a noticeable whistle coming from below the glove box. The setting was still on high, but it was not moving as much air, and it had the noise. The next time I turned the truck off, I started it and everything was normal.

• 10 months later...
On 2/22/2023 at 11:05 PM, Jmichalson said:

Did you ever figure out what the issue was? My 2022 AT4 just did this for the first time today. I turned the heat on high, and after about 10 seconds the fan speed lowered down to what seemed like medium, and there was a noticeable whistle coming from below the glove box. The setting was still on high, but it was not moving as much air, and it had the noise. The next time I turned the truck off, I started it and everything was normal.

My 21 elevation just started doing this, Sounds like a fan under the dash is screaming at max rpm, i select top dash vents and it still screams with little air pressure coming from top vents.