Your good/bad experience with vehicle WiFi?

Hello,

I'm thinking of adding my vehicle to my ATT cellphone account. My specific application in question would be for camping in remote locations where cellphone signal is spotty at best. Is the shark fin antennae much better than a handheld iphone X? What's the best range you've got outside the vehicle barring obstructions?

Trying to justify the expense vs the inconvenience of hiking up a hill and stuffing a coat hanger up my butt just to get a solid enough signal to do small data transfers.

Thanks for the help.

Edited by Captain Insaino
redundancy

I bought the prepaid package for a year at 200 bucks. Speeds are dismal. I live in an urban area and generally get 5 to 6MB down and about 2MB up. It can get slower at times. It’s prepaid. I did not add on since I don’t have att for service. I have cricket prepaid ( owned by att) and my cell phone service is a lot faster at 80MB down and 20MB up mostly. I did notice that the car gets a better signal than my phone. So yes in rural areas you will have service. I did hotspot my phone to truck before purchase the data plan but it’s a pain everyone I get in the truck to establish a connection. Have to manually go into my iPhone and connect. I mostly use it for iHeartRadio radio and the kids use it for watching movies when we go on trips. Hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

I was at a state park yesterday with very low signal. I was trying to order subway to pickup on the way home. My phone would keep cutting out. Fired up the truck and ran the trucks wifi on the phone and completed the order. I like it

Ryan B.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply. I do get it that it’s not going to be fast. I think I read somewhere that the truck is capable of 4G. In the areas where I will be, the iPhone won’t even get 3G unless I hike to a hilltop. I’m thinking this might help me out. Please keep the comments coming.

Edited by Captain Insaino
grammar