Silverado Dash Speakers

Does anyone know if it's possible to squeeze a 4" speaker in the dash in place of the current 2 3/4"?  There aren't that many options for 2 3/4" that I've been able to find and would really like to purchase a 3-way component kit from Focal that has a 4" in it.  

Has anyone done this or does anyone know of good quality 2 3/4" speakers?  I appreciate any input.

8 hours ago, Scott Killman said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to squeeze a 4" speaker in the dash in place of the current 2 3/4"?  There aren't that many options for 2 3/4" that I've been able to find and would really like to purchase a 3-way component kit from Focal that has a 4" in it.  

Has anyone done this or does anyone know of good quality 2 3/4" speakers?  I appreciate any input.

How about these?

• 2 weeks later...

I did 2 sets of the 3 way focals in the truck. You do have to make a plate to mount them.  Sorry I dont have a pic. I went lazy and just installed the tweeter in the pod they came with on top of the grill against the windshield.  The rears I made a plate for the woofer and mid in the stock location. And then again, the tweeter in the focal pod and mounted that in the door panel pocket. I paired them up with a jl audio vxi 800/8. The fronts are running active, using 6 channels, and the rears are running passive so I'm using the crossover using the 2 remaining channels. The sub is the jl shallow mount 12tw3 under the rear seat powered by a jl vxi 600/1.  It's getting the signal from a NAV-TV module and uses a single optical cable to the back of the truck to the jl vxi hub. Then optical cables to each amp.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/18/2020 at 3:46 PM, Scott Killman said:

I've seen posts on other forums of people putting in 3" speakers by modifying the housing. I don't know how tight it would be for a 4" speaker though.

As for good 2.75" speakers; the Memphis PRX27 below are very, very nice but also very hard to find right now. I have been looking for a week with no luck until I ended up pulling the trigger on a pair of Sundown Audio SA-2.75FR's. They're comparable, I believe slightly more expensive albeit only maybe $20. You can buy them on WoofersETC for $79.99 or Down4SoundShop for I think $54.99. Should be a great set. I don't have them installed yet, still waiting for delivery. The SA's are going in along with a set of SA 6.5" coaxials for all 4 doors. ?

On 4/19/2020 at 12:06 AM, JimCost2014 said:

How about these?

Good speakers but htey have been hard to find right now for me. I ended up going with SundownAudio SA-2.75FR's.

Edited by xSHIFTxNASTYx

I put in the 3" Focal mid ranges (3KRX3 - Focal  3" 50W RMS). It was a tight fit, so not sure 4" will work without significant mods. To fit the 3", I just ground out the hole to just past where the indent lip is, and drilled new mounting holes. Held up for over a year now, and sounds awesome. So much better kick drums and mids. 

20180728_132426 (2).jpg

20190123_154433.jpg

20180728_123946 (2).jpg

Cool. im thinking of seeing if I can put them next to the mids inside the dash. Just not sure if there is any more room in there. Do you have yours running passive or active?  I have my fronts active and rears passive. Uses all 8 channels on my jl vxi 800/8.

Edited by RACERX7775

On 5/25/2020 at 9:48 PM, jake241983 said:

These are the ones I have in my truck and I think they sound great.

They're hard to find as they're so popular right now. I ended up not being able to snatch up a set for a while so I went with the Sundown Audio 2.75's. I'll post pictures once they're in this weekend.

I'm considering just putting my tweeters in place of the 2 3/4" dash speakers.  I bought a door speaker mounting kit that had the tweeter bracket that you just cut out the hole that should fit in the dash.  I just don't know how they will sound up there.  I've also thought about trying to put them into the sail panel or A piller and try my hand at fiberglass like caraudiofabrication did on youtube.

On 6/3/2020 at 8:27 PM, Scott Killman said:

I'm considering just putting my tweeters in place of the 2 3/4" dash speakers.  I bought a door speaker mounting kit that had the tweeter bracket that you just cut out the hole that should fit in the dash.  I just don't know how they will sound up there.  I've also thought about trying to put them into the sail panel or A piller and try my hand at fiberglass like caraudiofabrication did on youtube.

I used to have an old Lincoln and had the tweeters mounted on the A Pillar. I want to say it had 3.5" speakers in the dash. I think the crossovers were mounted in the A Pillar as well. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/25/2020 at 9:48 PM, jake241983 said:

These are the ones I have in my truck and I think they sound great.

I agree.  I have the same speakers in my Silverado and they sound great.  For $60 you can't go wrong.