Hello, I've been looking around for some exhaust tips because frankly I hate the rectangular fake exhaust tips on the z71. I've been seeing pictures of dual oval tips and I do like them, but I'd rather have bug singles, like a 3" or 3.5" .

I've really been trying to find some pictures to see if it would fill the rectangular bumper cut outs, wondering if anyone here has done it.

IMG_3169.thumb.JPG.bb324ac1cd9f118ba51d986cab9be01c.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I been looking around for something similar. no luck yet lol. iirc the exit is about 8 3/4 width, was thinking dual 4” tips would fill the slot nice but haven’t got around to it yet. post up if you find a solution! also is the tip section of the stock exhaust pipe 2.5”??

Edited by f0urtw3nty
forgot something

This is kinda funny to me because I LOVE the rectangular tips integrated into the rear bumper.  They remind me of the exhaust tips that came on the older Gen II LT1 (C4) Corvettes.  When they came out on those cars I thought they were the coolest looking tips ever and I got so excited when I saw them come out on the newer Silverado platform.  However, with that being said, I loved the quad tips on the same generation Trans Am (93-97) even more so I definitely see where y'all are coming from.  Quad tips just look sportier, plain and simple. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 5/1/2020 at 9:34 AM, f0urtw3nty said:

I been looking around for something similar. no luck yet lol. iirc the exit is about 8 3/4 width, was thinking dual 4” tips would fill the slot nice but haven’t got around to it yet. post up if you find a solution! also is the tip section of the stock exhaust pipe 2.5”??

The stock exhaust pipe is 2.75", I have a 3.5" tip that fit on my old cat eye Silverado, I might give it a test fit when I get the chance

On 5/3/2020 at 4:56 AM, Yotaak said:

The stock exhaust pipe is 2.75", I have a 3.5" tip that fit on my old cat eye Silverado, I might give it a test fit when I get the chance

muffler pipe size def 2.75” but the tip section after the Y pipe looks smaller? 2.5”? can anyone confirm? the end that goes into the exhaust valance is ovaled also

17 hours ago, f0urtw3nty said:

muffler pipe size def 2.75” but the tip section after the Y pipe looks smaller? 2.5”? can anyone confirm? the end that goes into the exhaust valance is ovaled also

I just went out to measure it, pipe is 2.75 all the way to the fake tips. One thing your definitely right on is that the tips are ovaled, so that sucks. I'll take a better look to see how far you would need to cut them back to get them to be round. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
7 hours ago, f0urtw3nty said:

@Yotaak you ever get around to finishing your tips?

Not yet no, I haven't really had the time. Plus I've been searching for more tips that are actually made for the Silverados. I'd rather install something that fits and doesnt leak then put a tip in a vise to ovalize it and hopefully make it fit. Maybe I'll try some more this weekend once I get home from this long haul.

11 hours ago, Yotaak said:

Not yet no, I haven't really had the time. Plus I've been searching for more tips that are actually made for the Silverados. I'd rather install something that fits and doesnt leak then put a tip in a vise to ovalize it and hopefully make it fit. Maybe I'll try some more this weekend once I get home from this long haul.

any luck with the search? all ive found are the flowmaster tips 3" inlet dual 4" outet and stainlessworks makes custom tips but $$$ for tips IMO. i was thinking just cut the pipe before the oval part and weld a new piece in with the tips.. idk. i havent gotten around to doing anything about it either, was hoping you beat me to it LOL

1 hour ago, f0urtw3nty said:

any luck with the search? all ive found are the flowmaster tips 3" inlet dual 4" outet and stainlessworks makes custom tips but $$$ for tips IMO. i was thinking just cut the pipe before the oval part and weld a new piece in with the tips.. idk. i havent gotten around to doing anything about it either, was hoping you beat me to it LOL

I've found pretty much nothing at all, looks like no one is making tips for the new gen trucks, only full exhaust systems with integrated tips. I did send a email to MBRP to see if they had any tips for the new gen Silverados and they said no, and were not developing any as of now. I'll definitely measure and see how far you would need to cut back to get rid of the oval and make it round. Should be really easy to tell with a caliper. The only thing I would be worried about if the piping is angled down or up by a little bit the tips would also be angled. 

I'll tear into it this weekend and remove the fake disgusting chrome tips and get some actual measurements / mockup pictures. Like I said before I do have a 2.75 inlet to a 4" (or maybe 5") single. Even if it wouldn't fit I'll take some pictures just to see how a round tip looks in a rectangular hole. 

On 4/22/2020 at 11:52 PM, Yotaak said:

Hello, I've been looking around for some exhaust tips because frankly I hate the rectangular fake exhaust tips on the z71. I've been seeing pictures of dual oval tips and I do like them, but I'd rather have bug singles, like a 3" or 3.5" .

I've really been trying to find some pictures to see if it would fill the rectangular bumper cut outs, wondering if anyone here has done it.

IMG_3169.thumb.JPG.bb324ac1cd9f118ba51d986cab9be01c.jpeg

So what is "fake" about the stock tips? All tips are aesthetic  IMO.  

5 hours ago, Pappy58 said:

So what is "fake" about the stock tips? All tips are aesthetic  IMO.  

The factory tips dont touch any part of the exhaust and are as you said aesthetic. In my case I'm choosing to change the tips because I dont like the looks of the factory tips  as well as reducing the drone by getting the exhaust futher away from the cab (instead of just dumping below the box like the factory tips do). Not only that but a "real" tip would change the tone of the exhaust.

@f0urtw3nty

Unfortunately I got rained out Friday/Saturday and got called into work  Sunday so I didn't make any progress. So we're going to have to wait for another weekend but atleast I'm motivated to do it now.

The factory tips dont touch any part of the exhaust and are as you said aesthetic. In my case I'm choosing to change the tips because I dont like the looks of the factory tips  as well as reducing the drone by getting the exhaust futher away from the cab (instead of just dumping below the box like the factory tips do). Not only that but a "real" tip would change the tone of the exhaust.

@f0urtw3nty
Unfortunately I got rained out Friday/Saturday and got called into work  Sunday so I didn't make any progress. So we're going to have to wait for another weekend but atleast I'm motivated to do it now.
Are you saying the actual exhaust pipe doesn't connect to the tip? That it dumps out just prior to the exhaust tip? That's crazy. Actually, I do think I read something about the new Explorer doing that, to keep the tips clean. Do you have a pic? I'm really intrigued ..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

On 7/15/2020 at 1:54 PM, Badbird2000 said:

Are you saying the actual exhaust pipe doesn't connect to the tip? That it dumps out just prior to the exhaust tip? That's crazy. Actually, I do think I read something about the new Explorer doing that, to keep the tips clean. Do you have a pic? I'm really intrigued ..

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

yes, it does NOT connect to the tip. ill take a pic later if i remember

@Yotaak ill be checking back to see what you come up with. my exhaust plans pushed back, trying to figure out wheel/tires first lol got some coil goodies sitting collecting dust that i wanna put on soon

• Like 1