'20 Silverado 1500 LT Duramax Build Thread

This is my attempt to begin a build thread for my 2020 Silverado Duramax LT.  

The current pandemic created an opportunity to trade up my 2016 Canyon SLT Duramax.  Ideally, I would have opted for a Sierra Denali but couldn't make the numbers work and really like the front end of the new Silverado.  My trade-in was the sticking point but I finally came to an agreeable deal on a 2020 Silverado LT.  I also looked at the RST (Duramax) but it lacked in some of the features that were not feasible to add after the sale.  ...time to take what I have and make it into what I want.  

The first modification was the addition of leather.  I had the opportunity to purchase a 2019 Silverado LT for my dad last year and we found that leather was an easy upgrade when paying cash after the sale. That and it was about half the cost of the leather package from the factory.  I ended up going with Katzkin based on recommendations from the local automotive upholstery shops. $1,580 and a week later, and it was a done deal - kind of.  When they finished the install and pulled my truck around, both the manager and I said "hello stitching".  The stitching was supposed to be a factory match but was an insanely bright silver that almost blinded us in the sunlight.  After a few days of cat and mouse with Katzkin (due to employee telework), they realized that the 2019 factory match silver no longer matched the 2020s.  In good business fashion, they agreed to make a new set of seat covers with a dark gray stitching and have them installed at no additional cost.  I still haven't had the new ones installed yet but they will have won a customer for life if they actually pull it off. 

The second modification was ceramic tint on the front windows.  I will eventually get the entire truck tinted at the legal limit but need to save more cash first.  Some guys go much darker than my 30% fronts (20% light transmission) but I have to toe to line on legalities so the lesser tint is something I'll have to deal with. 

Future modifications include: 

1. Antena 

2. Lift

3. Wheels and tires

4. Sound system

5. Front Bumper Paint (tame the chrome a bit)

6. De-badge 

7. Fog Lights

These build threads can be fun and informative so I look forward to learning a bit from you all as I make this truck into my own. 

P1010086 (3).JPG

P1010088 (3).JPG

Yes, it's the Z71 package. Looks funny with such aggressive tires and no lift or level. 
The z71 is a different package than diesel off road package. Diesel off road comes with tonneau cover, side steps, duratracs, and 3.73 gears

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

My 2020 Silverado LT 3.0L Z71 did not come with a Tonneau cover or side steps, but I did add a hard Tonneau cover and GM side steps after the sale. The audio speakers leave alot to be desired I went with JL Audio front to back and sound deadening in all the doors, thought I might need a sub but with the JL's not sure I will need one.

My truck does have the Z71 Rancho suspension, 6 inch side steps, 275 Duratracks, tri-fold  tonneau cover, and I believe it has the 3.73 rear end as well.

I agree with Bob in that the factory stereo does leave a bit to be desired. Fortunately, I have a couple of 10" subwoofers from a previous build and will continue to build out the rest of the system over the next month or two. 

Thanks to all of the reviews on this forum, I also have the factory GM 2" Trail Boss lift and just waiting on the install.  Should look much better to get it off the ground a bit. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, bobbobtar said:

My 2020 Silverado LT 3.0L Z71 did not come with a Tonneau cover or side steps, but I did add a hard Tonneau cover and GM side steps after the sale. The audio speakers leave alot to be desired I went with JL Audio front to back and sound deadening in all the doors, thought I might need a sub but with the JL's not sure I will need one.

How much did the sound deadening improve the interior sound?  Is it something you recommend on these trucks?

I would recommend it for any vehicle that updates their audio systems not much additional work since you will have the door panels off already. Sound quality is greatly improved over the stock speakers. Don't forget the speakers up on the dash.

Edited by bobbobtar

I would recommend it for any vehicle that updates their audio systems not much additional work since you will have the door panels off already. Sound quality is greatly improved over the stock speakers. Don't forget the speakers up on the dash.
Do you have the bose system? Ive always heard bose use funky independence specs and normal 4 ohm dont work well

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, bobbobtar said:

Which model of JL did you install?  Did you add a amp?