2014 Vacuum Pump Warranty

Hey Guys,

I have a 2014 Silverado Z71 4x4 single cab with the 6'6" box. I absolutely love the truck and plan on keeping it until it just can't drive any further. That said........

Has anyone had any luck with the vacuum pump warranty at all? Last year, I started getting a hard brake pedal and read up on the vacuum pump issue. I took it to the dealer and it was diagnosed as a failed vacuum pump and they quoted replacement. I asked if it was covered under the drivetrain warranty that I still had at the time and coverage was denied. So I went on RockAuto and bought another OEM AC Delco vacuum pump and replaced it myself.

Come Thanksgiving I got a letter in the mail saying that the warranty on the vacuum pumps had been extended, and to provide receipts to your dealer if you have already had work done for reimbursement. Awesome! I've been sitting on the letter for a while, but I finally got around to getting all of the receipts together and going to my dealer. $120 for the diagnostic, ~$130 for parts. The dealer informed me that there is no reimbursement if the work wasn't performed by a dealer or licensed mechanic. Is that normal? I think I did like anyone who is capable of working on their own vehicle would do by doing the work myself. It strikes me as shady that the dealer would punish me for it.

Has anybody else run into this type of situation before?

16 minutes ago, BootsyCollins said:

Hey Guys,

I have a 2014 Silverado Z71 4x4 single cab with the 6'6" box. I absolutely love the truck and plan on keeping it until it just can't drive any further. That said........

Has anyone had any luck with the vacuum pump warranty at all? Last year, I started getting a hard brake pedal and read up on the vacuum pump issue. I took it to the dealer and it was diagnosed as a failed vacuum pump and they quoted replacement. I asked if it was covered under the drivetrain warranty that I still had at the time and coverage was denied. So I went on RockAuto and bought another OEM AC Delco vacuum pump and replaced it myself.

Come Thanksgiving I got a letter in the mail saying that the warranty on the vacuum pumps had been extended, and to provide receipts to your dealer if you have already had work done for reimbursement. Awesome! I've been sitting on the letter for a while, but I finally got around to getting all of the receipts together and going to my dealer. $120 for the diagnostic, ~$130 for parts. The dealer informed me that there is no reimbursement if the work wasn't performed by a dealer or licensed mechanic. Is that normal? I think I did like anyone who is capable of working on their own vehicle would do by doing the work myself. It strikes me as shady that the dealer would punish me for it.

Welcome to the site.

In this case, I would have to side with the dealership, just because you can not legally warrant your work, and if they are involved in a failure (not saying that there will be) because of an improper installation, they would also become liable for damages. 

Is there any fine print on the paperwork stating that is has to be done by certain entities? 

1 hour ago, BootsyCollins said:

Hey Guys,

You can try submitting direct yourself to GM per the coverage letter however, unless you have a shop's receipt for the labor and the part, you might get shot down.  You are not a licensed repair shop.  You might get the part money back at the most if anything.  

Reimbursement:  If you have already paid for repairs for the condition described in this letter, please complete the enclosed reimbursement form and present it to your dealer with all required documents. Working with your dealer will expedite your request, however, if this is not convenient, you may mail the completed reimbursement form and all required documents to Reimbursement Department, PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170. The completed form and required documents must be presented to your dealer or received by the Reimbursement Department by November 30, 2020, unless state law specifies a longer reimbursement period.

Edited by newdude

On 5/1/2020 at 1:56 PM, JimCost2014 said:

Welcome to the site.

In this case, I would have to side with the dealership, just because you can not legally warrant your work, and if they are involved in a failure (not saying that there will be) because of an improper installation, they would also become liable for damages. 

Is there any fine print on the paperwork stating that is has to be done by certain entities? 

That's a good point. I hadn't really been looking at it from that perspective. 

Here's a link to the notice:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10167479-9999.pdf

It doesn't appear to say anything about where the work must be done. It does say to mail the form in if going to the dealer isn't convenient. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

On 5/1/2020 at 3:09 PM, newdude said:

You can try submitting direct yourself to GM per the coverage letter however, unless you have a shop's receipt for the labor and the part, you might get shot down.  You are not a licensed repair shop.  You might get the part money back at the most if anything.  

I'm well aware that I'm not a licensed repair shop or anything resembling ASE certified. I'm just looking for parts and the diagnostic cost here. I hadn't seen the option to mail the form to GM myself. I'll send it in and see what happens.

7 hours ago, BootsyCollins said:

That's a good point. I hadn't really been looking at it from that perspective. 

Here's a link to the notice:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2019/MC-10167479-9999.pdf

It doesn't appear to say anything about where the work must be done. It does say to mail the form in if going to the dealer isn't convenient. Maybe I'll give that a shot.

Give it a shot, any money recovered at this point would be a good thing. 

Who knows, with everything going on, they may be nice and try to keep a customer.

• 4 months later...

I believe that warranty is to 150,000 miles, correct? Still running my stock one at 130,000 miles. If it doesn't croak in then next 20 K................. 

I expect that the majority of vacuum pump failure and AFM failures are oil maintenance related. I know that is going to draw some fire from guys whose personal experience has been failure with the factory intervals, filters and oil guidelines. I don't doubt it that this is true. So....I'm saying the factory fluids, filters and primarily the oil is insufficient and GM missed their guess. Why would I think this? 

1.) GM themselves have crawfished on the OCI indicating the OLM average 7.5 K is too long.

2.) Using 5 K intervals, WIX filters and QSUD, all approved by GM, we have, in my stable of 5, had cam phasers screens, VLOM screens plug and light tension piston rings varnish to the point of collapse.

3.) OEMS recently upped the specs for cleanliness, timing chain wear and LSPI creating a new API spec SP replacing SN an SN-PLUS.

4.) These motors run to hot for SN oils. IMHO of course. 

I agree with the OEMS. They missed the boat. So, I don't run a 207 F thermostat in the motor or a 192 F stat in the transmission. I don't use the OLM or even UOA's. I don't use Dexos Mineral Group III synthetics and I don't skimp on filters. And I no longer fight screens and ring issues nor have I had any AFM issues or vacuum pump issues.  ? 

Do with that as you please.