2500HD Tow Capability Question

So i took my 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali Crew Cab SB to a CAT scale and weighed it with a full tank, Pull Rite Super Slide 5th Wheel hitch and i had me and the wife in the cab.  I then went back to the scale when taking a short trip with the 5th wheeler (loaded).  Here's my numbers.  Looks like I am close to maxing out the truck.  Just looking for some opinions...do you think this is too close to maxed out?

Weights.jpg

So i took my 2020 GMC Sierra 2500 Denali Crew Cab SB to a CAT scale and weighed it with a full tank, Pull Rite Super Slide 5th Wheel hitch and i had me and the wife in the cab.  I then went back to the scale when taking a short trip with the 5th wheeler (loaded).  Here's my numbers.  Looks like I am close to maxing out the truck.  Just looking for some opinions...do you think this is too close to maxed out?

Weights.jpg.97c6915fdd5de1c0dfec765885a1fe01.jpg
There are numerous safety factors incorporated into the manufacturers maximum weight values that they distribute. If you are at the max or under I would have zero concerns about it, drive on and enjoy yourself!

Sent from my SM-G988U1 using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

First thing -- Good on ya for doing the weighing each axle then doing the calculations.  

Question often posted is '"Is this too much over'" rather than is this enough under....and it always creates a lot of debate.

If I'm understanding chart correctly - 

actual gcw = 19,500

actual curb (loaded, no trailer) = 8560  

Implies that trailer is 19500 - 8560 = 11040  

pin weight = 11040 - 8560 = 2480  (similar to the 2500 shown) 

2480/11040 = 0.2225, so 22% pin weight. GM recommends 15% to 25% for 5th wheel (10-15% for bumper). If you wanted to, you could take some weight off truck by re-arranging load. 

Your within the gawr's , the gvwr and the gcwr.

Your trailer weight is a long way from the published max. 

How was the test pull?

Redwngr, I took my rear axle weight with the trailer (6000 lbs) and subtracted my rear axle weight without the trailer (3500 lbs) to get a pin weight of 2500 lbs. I like the fact that it's between the 15% and 25% recommended by GM, I appreciate you pointing that out.   The test pull was a little over 100 miles from Winter Springs, FL to St. Augustine Florida (I-4 East and I-95 North).  I should mention I have Firestone Ride Rite airbags on the truck, and had about 50 psi in them.  The truck sits like it was unloaded with the trailer on it, and pulls like a honey badger.  The haul east on I-4, I set cruise control at 65 and was getting on average 12 mpg.  on I-95 i bumped it up to 70 and was getting between 9.5 and 10.5 mpg.  Easing it back to 68 mph put the mileage back up to between 11 - 12 mpg.   Honestly, it was a nice drive.  The truck handled the weight great.  I'm glad i went with the airbags, i think it made the ride smoother and more stable, but i haven't pulled without them.   

Your numbers are fine.  Without the air springs, you would probably bang the rear bounce bumper every once in a while.  I would recommend keeping air springs at the minimum pressure you can tolerate.  Adding air springs to a suspension that wasn't design for is good for ride but is negative for evasive handling.  Fifth wheels/GN are really stable so you will be fine if you don't get carried away with pressure.  

#iworkforGM