Power Tailgate Removal

I just removed my power tailgate in prep to install a slide-in truck camper.  There are two harness that had to be disconnected under the bed.  The back-up camera harness was small, simple and easy to protect with some electrical tape.  The power tailgate and power lock harness is much larger and it is unrealistic that trying to wrap the unused harness under the bed would work.  I tried call my local Chevy parts department to see if the sell a cover for the harness but he didn't even take the time to look it up.  He said Chevy doesn't sell anything like that.  I am sure I am not the only owner running a truck without a tailgate.  Anyone have a good solution to weather protecting the unused harness?

2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab, 8' Bed, 6.6 Diesel High Country

IMG_0664.jpeg

1 hour ago, Patrick Cook said:

I just removed my power tailgate in prep to install a slide-in truck camper.  There are two harness that had to be disconnected under the bed.  The back-up camera harness was small, simple and easy to protect with some electrical tape.  The power tailgate and power lock harness is much larger and it is unrealistic that trying to wrap the unused harness under the bed would work.  I tried call my local Chevy parts department to see if the sell a cover for the harness but he didn't even take the time to look it up.  He said Chevy doesn't sell anything like that.  I am sure I am not the only owner running a truck without a tailgate.  Anyone have a good solution to weather protecting the unused harness?

2020 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Crew Cab, 8' Bed, 6.6 Diesel High Country

Unfortunately, your dealer is right.  GM doesn't make a dummy plug for that connector, and if they did like some other plugs on their vehicles, they don't sell them.    

You'd have to buy and alter the harness like Makito posted.  

The other issues you may run into is a tailgate ajar message always on, and backup camera faults.  Not sure if it will take down the other camera circuits either.

Edited by newdude

Once I get the truck camper installed I plan to install a new camera that will replace the tailgate camera.  I found a plug-n-play replacement that will work.

https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit/2019-gm-1500-w-360-view-relocation-kit-with-camera-included.html

Thanks NewDude for the feedback on the availability of Chevy dummy plug.

Thanks Makito for the info on the harness.  I think that is what I will do also.

Edited by Patrick Cook

You could also get a piece of heat shrink tubing big enough to fit over said plug and apply some heat to it so that it shrinks around the plug. Weatherproof and protected done.

• 11 months later...

Just removed the tailgate from my 2020 Chevy Silverado LTZ 2500HD.   Bought the truck with the intention of putting my slide in camper so I can drive across the country. The dealer said it would not affect the other cameras  WRONG  no cameras  !  Saw the post to get new camera to connect to the 360 surround  camera system.  will this give me all the other cameras or just the new camera?

in the same boat i have a high country 2020 removed tailgate with the relocation kit installed and i have nothing still...... the 30 pin connector is still unused and im thinking that is whats not making the camera work?  

2020-2021 GM 2500,3500 Relocation Kit With Camera Included-Non Surround View

SKU: CS-GMTRSK-20HDRNC

178817487_750979695565402_610674433059036201_n.jpg

178495114_501909730947119_4227736070930318212_n.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

I'm brand new here, so please bear with me, especially if I've missed something that has already been answered.  I recently received my 2021 3500 High Country DRW diesel and will be carrying my Northern Lite 9-6.  (Although I've loved my 2002 2500HD diesel for 19 years now, the cargo capacity wasn't up to carrying the 3000 pound Northern Lite.). Before purchasing Patrick Cook's recommended camera to replace the tailgate camera (https://camera-source.com/automotive-cams/gm-oe-fit/2019-gm-1500-w-360-view-relocation-kit-with-camera-included.html) which is a pretty pricey $390, and Makito's recommended harness for the tailgate power/locking (https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-f-harness-84679989), I'm just wondering if anyone has confirmed that these two items solve the issues of 360 cameras and tailgate ajar faults & backup camera faults?  I'm hoping for the camera mounted on the back of the camper to display in my rear view mirror and all other systems working as if the tailgate were still attached.  Thanks very much to Patrick & Makito and anyone else who's able to offer advice!

• 1 month later...

I bought and installed the camera from https://camerasource.com/2019-...camera-included.html

It works great and integrated right into the truck’s dash display. The only differences I would like is a lower price of course and a way to make the connection to the camera without crawling underneath the truck. I’m getting too old and broken to do that very often.

I bought the oem replacement camera for $89, and a FAKRA camera cable from Pasternack for $40, and made a camera enclosure out of a plumbing fitting and mounted it on the back of my camper in the same position as the tailgate camera.   Works perfect. 

I had no problem wrapping the large tailgate connector with two layers of plastic bag and taping it up.  You just have to get under the truck and use two hands to work the bag into place. 

E36470E7-C126-41B4-B0AA-06764A4E96EF.jpeg

• 3 months later...
On 6/11/2020 at 3:12 PM, Makito said:

Just dealt with this myself I ordered this https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/oem-parts/gm-f-harness-84679989 which is a replacement harness. Just cut all the wires (making sure no wires are touching each other) and problem solved

IMG_6337.jpg

Do you know if the plugs fit all the multipro tailgates? Dealer gave me 2 part numbers to check (neither matches yours). Said it could be either one but didn't know which, or what the difference was. Told me to look for tag on mine but it's missing. I'm thinking it's probably a matter what options the gate has and I just want to use as dummy plug while gate off.