2018 LTZ 20" Wheel Swap

Hello all. Got ny 2018 Silverado LTZ and it has the 20" chrome wheels on it. Rides pretty rough and can feel every bump on the road. Use to my 2006 with 17" on it. 

So the question for discussion is if I placed 18" or 17" on the LTZ will the wheels/tires be too small looking and not fill in the wheel well? 

Also, will the LTZ ride smoother?

Anyone done this type of swap out yet?

So what you all say as I new to this truck.  Thanks in advance for input.

If the 18's have the correct size tires they will be pretty close in size to the 20's. You can look at pictures or just other trucks on the road to see what it looks like.

More sidewall with good tires should ride better than 20's with less sidewall.

GM trucks come with tires of roughly the same diameter/circumference. 17's have a lot of sidewall, 22's not much at all. As said, more sidewall equals softer ride.

I have factory 20's on my LTZ and the ride is great. I run 18's in the winter with the appropriate sized tire and the ride is also great (more sidewall) so if you drop down to a 17 (or 18) with the right tire you will be good.

What size and brand tire do you have on your wheels now? If they are lower quality or a small size that will affect the quality of the ride.

My 2018 slt premium plus came with those horrible “Chrome clad” 20” wheels that are actually an aluminum wheel with a PLASTIC chrome cover glued on. Premium my azz.

I’ve since sold those and went to 17” BFG 285/70/17 for winter. They are load range E and honestly ride is about the same.

I have 18” AT4 wheels 265/65/18 Goodyear wrangler fortitude HT for summer and they are a little softer than BFG and stock 20” but not much. I run 44 psi for better wear and mpg. Lowering air pressure to stock 32 / 35 psi hardly makes a ride difference for me.

I’m running Bilstein 5100 shocks as well so that stiffens everything up.

My truck is max tow so rear springs are stiffer and possibly front as well vs a standard half ton.