My son just bought a 2009 GMC 2500HD.   It has remote start.  So of course he tried it out when he came to show me yesterday.  It worked as it should.  Today when he was about ready to leave his work he did the remote start.  It started for a bit then quit.  Now it won’t start at all, even with the key.  It just turns over and that’s it.  Any suggestions?

If there was a trouble code set, and the Check Engine Light was on, the factory remote start will not even attempt to crank the engine. The lights may flash, but as soon as it "reads" the code, the computer will shut down the process. If it will not start with the key, but still cranks, there is another issue that will have to be diagnosed. 

Check all of the fuses. Check the battery connections. You should be able to hear the fuel pump turn on and run for a second or two when the key is turned to the "run" position before you try to start the engine. These are just the first couple of things I would check. 

Edited by citydriver

• 10 months later...

Howdy Everyone, I’m BigChris12 and new to the Forum.  I have a 2002 2500HD 6.0L 2WD.  Just recently had my truck stolen and recovered it with the Cats, battery, tailgate, ignition cylinder and all my tools removed.  I was able to start the truck long enough to back it in the garage after a flatbed tow.  New battery installed and new ignition cylinder.  The fuel pump primes and engine fires up then dies time after time.  Check fuel pressure and put 6 gal of fresh fuel in the tank.  If I spray starting fluid into the MAS she’ll run as long as I’m spraying but shuts down as soon as I stop.  I am perplexed and want to diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it.  Any experience with this anyone?

Howdy Everyone, I’m BigChris12 and new to the Forum.  I have a 2002 2500HD 6.0L 2WD.  Just recently had my truck stolen and recovered it with the Cats, battery, tailgate, ignition cylinder and all my tools removed.  I was able to start the truck long enough to back it in the garage after a flatbed tow.  New battery installed and new ignition cylinder.  The fuel pump primes and engine fires up then dies time after time.  Check fuel pressure and put 6 gal of fresh fuel in the tank.  If I spray starting fluid into the MAS she’ll run as long as I’m spraying but shuts down as soon as I stop.  I am perplexed and want to diagnose the problem before throwing parts at it.  Any experience with this anyone?