L83 Cam/Header Upgrade Decision Help

So my L83 had the DOD lifter fail at 43k miles and I am currently in the process of replacing the top end and was hoping someone could chime in to help me possibly save some money.

I have been looking at GWI (Gwatney Performance) for there stage 1 or stage 2 cam kit with DOD delete since they offer a complete kit with all the gaskets and extras.

Exhaust side I was looking at going with Kooks 1 7/8" header and Y-Pipe.

Question 1: Is a stage 2 cam worth it for these trucks? GWI says 10-15HP Increase over a stage 1 but then I need a ~$600 stall for it.

Question 2: What gains are being made with headers? Kooks setup is about $1800 so trying to justify the cost per HP.

Question 3: What have you paid for a head port & polish? GWI is ~$1000. I was considering just having them done locally.

I suppose I am comparing the cost per HP for all these parts to the $6000 Procharger setup. It seems little gains are to be had all around for the price. Obviously I have to redo the cam/lifters with my failure, but I am trying to determine if doing this other stuff while its out is worth it when comparing the price to FI route.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks

If saving money is part of the game not sure why you are going with Kook Headers. There are many options out there that do the same thing for way less money.

The cam and headers is going to shift the powerband up, should be able to take it all the way to 6,300-6,500 with the right valvetrain compared to being limited to around 6,000rpm on the stock stuff. How much power it will really make depends on many things like where you live, what kind of fuel you plan to run, how good your tuner is at tuning these very complex torque based computers.

If an aftermarket stall converter isn't something you want to do, just stick with the smaller camshaft. Both would make more power than a factory one.

• Like 1