On Board Air system mounting

Hello.  Wondering if anyone has installed one of these systems on the silverado and if so where did they mount the tank.  The compressor is small enough , the the tank that came with the Viar kit 2.5 gallon is just too long to fit anywhere safely.  It does almost fit under the passenger door, but it will hang down too low for my liking.  The only option i see is to purchase two 1 gallon tanks that I can stick up under the bed sides out of the way, but I will reduce the capacity and have more plumbing floating around under there.  Just wondering if any one has done it and how they did it.  

Thank you 

13 hours ago, voyager1500 said:

Hello.  Wondering if anyone has installed one of these systems on the silverado and if so where did they mount the tank.  The compressor is small enough , the the tank that came with the Viar kit 2.5 gallon is just too long to fit anywhere safely.  It does almost fit under the passenger door, but it will hang down too low for my liking.  The only option i see is to purchase two 1 gallon tanks that I can stick up under the bed sides out of the way, but I will reduce the capacity and have more plumbing floating around under there.  Just wondering if any one has done it and how they did it.  

Thank you 

Sounds like I have the same Viair set up but I too have not installed it on my truck yet.  I'm running into the same issues as you.  I'm hoping someone can shed some light on the best locations for this set up!

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2020 at 12:20 PM, lonestardiver said:

Mount a tool box in the bed of the truck and put it in there.

Since it's a standard 6'6" box I was looking to mount somewhere else, dont want to loose the space in bed, between the tank and compressor, it will take up some valuable real estate in there.  I really wanted to do underneath the truck, but not finding a  happy place that the tank will fit.  The only option I have been able to come up with would require purchasing two smaller 1 gallon tanks that I could tuck up under the bed and then just join the two together via an air line.  There is not enough space above the spare tire due to the module and wiring that is jammed under there unless the tank was smaller.  at that point might as well not bother stuffing one 1 gallon tank up there since those will fit other spots easier.  

Another idea I was thinking which is not ideal, but what about mounting all the components into a box, like a plano sportsmans trunk or the like, and just mount up on roof rack, will look un clean, but it will essentially just be a box on the rack, but then I can run wire to battery or some sort of quick connect when I need to use it ?  This might also make it so that I can take in other vehicles when needed, so might actually be a workable idea ?  

So here is a mock up of the plano box idea.  it just makes it length wise.  Will need to make a platform to attach everything too and mounts for the gauge and connectors.  Need 90 degree elbows for the ends of the tank for the air lines and regulator.  Then create a wire harness or plug system so that I can connect either directly to battery, or via a 12v power port in bed or under hood, or both.  I dont know ?  what do you think ?  this would make it portable from vehicle to vehicle rather than permanently mounted on one.  

20200708_201429.jpg

I would say it is highly unlikely, once you have it installed somewhere under the truck, you will want to remove it and install it on another truck more than once.  You'll do it, and find it's a huge hassle, and then you'll leave it on one truck, and perhaps remove it again when it's no longer needed on that truck...