2018 Sierra - what to do first!

Pulled the trigger on an 18 Sierra. Price was right. Miles were good. I really like the truck. 

What should I do first?

Buying tray for console and under wireless charger console. 

May remove running boards. They're not too comfortable to use. Need to get used to them. 

Previous owner messed up driver Sill. Need to get sprayed or covered. Open to suggestions. 

Hear mixed views on the drop in kn air filter and cold air intake so I'm going to leave it stock for now. 

Going to buy the vent slip ons for under the seat to get the air up. 

Was thinking under seat storage not sure which one to go with. 

Trying to figure out if HIDs need to be upgraded. Going to take it out tonight and see how bright the stock lights are. 

I may install a GM chrome front bug deflector. They say other brand products don't match the chrome of the stock grill. 

Maybe spray the under carriage with something to prevent rust from penetrating the steel. There's surface rust but nothing major. 

Not really sure what else. Can Anyone who's had the truck for a while let me in on what has been successful and what hasn't?

Really appreciate it! Moe

20200625_221848.jpg

I did the cold air intake from spectre , it has a polished aluminum tube where the k&n is plastic,muffler and flapper delete, range technology module to do away with the pesky AFM, tinted the windows and added a bedcover

7 minutes ago, 2016 Sierra SLT said:

I did the cold air intake from spectre , it has a polished aluminum tube where the k&n is plastic,muffler and flapper delete, range technology module to do away with the pesky AFM, tinted the windows and added a bedcover

Any change in performance or gas mileage? 

I make a lot of calls from the car when driving. As much as I want it to sound good I don't want it to become annoying.  Does CAI, flapper delete, and range technology module mean my customers will have a hard time hearing me?

19 minutes ago, goeb34 said:

Tint, level, tires, cai, leds where there arent any

I hear mixed things about leveling. Rough ride due to geometry. 

Do you have any experience with an 18 Z71? I do a lot of highway driving so comfort and handling are number 1. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, moebravo said:

Any change in performance or gas mileage? 

I make a lot of calls from the car when driving. As much as I want it to sound good I don't want it to become annoying.  Does CAI, flapper delete, and range technology module mean my customers will have a hard time hearing me?

Mileage get a little better not much , it’s a truck for Pete’s sake ! I haven’t had any problems hearing after doing the muffler delete and cold air intake! I can tell the performance gains while towing and under hard acceleration! 

• Like 1

Leave the suspension as is if you like how it rides already.

Intakes don't add fuel mileage, it just changes the sound under hard throttle. If anything get the airaid intake tube and keep the stock airbox because nothing compares to the stock intake type design for pulling in the coolest air. Open air intakes just breath in hot under hood air.

The range product is for shutting off the V4 feature for fuel mileage. It won't change the exhaust volume when everything else stayed the same.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, CamGTP said:

Leave the suspension as is if you like how it rides already.

Intakes don't add fuel mileage, it just changes the sound under hard throttle. If anything get the airaid intake tube and keep the stock airbox because nothing compares to the stock intake type design for pulling in the coolest air. Open air intakes just breath in hot under hood air.

The range product is for shutting off the V4 feature for fuel mileage. It won't change the exhaust volume when everything else stayed the same.

So what's the benefit of disabiling AFM?

Many don't like how the truck drives in V4 mode on the freeway or in city driving. It can feel like it's lugging around and hesitates to get going and come back into V8 mode. Also the less the system is used that means it's possible that there will be less problems in the future with it. But that is a toss up because there are people out there with stock trucks with 150-200+k miles with zero problems.

You are welcome to read about AFM problems. Ranging from lifter failure to extra oil consumption and so on.

I hear mixed things about leveling. Rough ride due to geometry. 

Do you have any experience with an 18 Z71? I do a lot of highway driving so comfort and handling are number 1. 

No i have a 2014 Denali with Bilstein 5100s and 275/65 ridge graps and it rides smooth going down the highway. Granted i get on the high way everyday for about 15 minutes back and forth to work but the occasional 120 miles one way to the hunting club mine rides smooth. Theres a couple of threads where a lot if people have just swapped struts to bilsteins just cause they say it rides better than the factory ranchos.

Thank you. Is installing the AFM delete module easy?

Also, can I just say, the fog lights on this vehicle are amazing. I just drove it for the first time at night and OMG wow. I need to have them on with the high beams.

I Would love to get a matching set of head lights that are the same color temperature. Wouldn't care about turning them on or off.

Just can't believe how much the stock LED fog lamps throw. Wish this truck had the upgraded lamps. I bet they're the best option out there for this truck.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Range AFM delete just plugs into the OBD port and starts working right away. I've had one since 100 miles and recommend it.

Leveling to high on totally stock stuff can cause problems with upper ball joints and since the suspension can't compress and release correctly that can cause a rough ride, there's a lot of threads about what to use and how high to go on stock stuff.

Intake is pretty much useless unless you plan on doing more power adders.

I see no reason to change the factory HIDs, are you sure you don't have LED headlights as well?

I'd drive the truck around a month or two and figure out what you like and don't like then go from there.

Edited by Lsgun1

I bought a 2018 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 5.3 v8 4x4 at the end of Jan 2020... found at a local chevy dealership only 18,000 miles still like new it has the intergrated trailer brake spray in bed liner window vents , running boards , hard tonneua cover that flips up and folds.. looked up on the internet its $800.00 cover , it has the inner finder liners and it has been undercoated ...I looked at a 2019 prior to seeing this and the payments were the key of my purchase. I traded in a 2009 chevy sliverado that had 130,000 miles on it .... the 2018 was certiied used truck and still has the factory warranty .. the first thing I did put a range to shut off the 8cylinder to 4 cylinder mode a truck should be a 8 cylinder all the time. Then I put Weather tech floor mats in the front and back ... I have had four chevy silveradoes and had no major issues... all the of them I traded in at over 100,000 miles keep up on the basic maint and fluids is the key ... the truck rides nice and is Quiet .... the 5.3 has plenty of power ... I was not a big fan of the running boards but have stated to get use to them.... next is tinting the front windows at 20% to match the back windows ... getting ready to pull my 26 ft hybrid camper next week for the first time this year with the truck ... I am a big Chevy bow tie fan ... I did also just put the K&N filter in the stock air intake box .. ive done that on my other trucks no issues

• Like 1

I bought a 2018 Crew Cab Chevy Silverado 5.3 v8 4x4 at the end of Jan 2020... found at a local chevy dealership only 18,000 miles still like new it has the intergrated trailer brake spray in bed liner window vents , running boards , hard tonneua cover that flips up and folds.. looked up on the internet its $800.00 cover , it has the inner finder liners and it has been undercoated ...I looked at a 2019 prior to seeing this and the payments were the key of my purchase. I traded in a 2009 chevy sliverado that had 130,000 miles on it .... the 2018 was certiied used truck and still has the factory warranty .. the first thing I did put a range to shut off the 8cylinder to 4 cylinder mode a truck should be a 8 cylinder all the time. Then I put Weather tech floor mats in the front and back ... I have had four chevy silveradoes and had no major issues... all the of them I traded in at over 100,000 miles keep up on the basic maint and fluids is the key ... the truck rides nice and is Quiet .... the 5.3 has plenty of power ... I was not a big fan of the running boards but have stated to get use to them.... next is tinting the front windows at 20% to match the back windows ... getting ready to pull my 26 ft hybrid camper next week for the first time this year with the truck ... I am a big Chevy bow tie fan ... I did also just put the K&N filter in the stock air intake box .. ive done that on my other trucks no issues
Without the AFM are you getting fuel mileage or worse. I understand it's a truck but AFM has to help fuel mileage vs help otherwise why put it in.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, moebravo said:

Without the AFM are you getting fuel mileage or worse. I understand it's a truck but AFM has to help fuel mileage vs help otherwise why put it in.

The AFM should operate seamlessly except for the dash indicator light.  If you are having problems with your truck then use your warranty coverage to get it repaired.  AFM is one of many features of your truck that combined give you incredible fuel economy for a full-sized V8 truck.