When you do that first Transfer Case fluid change...

at ~55k miles.   Totally normal they said. Fuzzy is fine. It means the magnet is working. ??

Sidenote: my garage floor looks like an Amsoil ATF murder scene.  I think I made more of a mess with the pump than without.  I will try the squeeze packs next time. ?

fuzzy_tcase_plug.jpg

I'm now curious to see what the magnet looks like in the transmission pan....but not to excited about dropping the pan. Looks like a PITA with the exhaust pipe running across it.  I've seen the helpful videos from Dustin T and Sundae Drive on the ratchet strap technique to lower the pipe and that looks like the way to go.  Anyone else got some tips or tricks on that?

Going to do the fluid change on the front and rear diff's next.  Another lesson I learned from doing the t-case was to pressure wash the underneath first. I probably spent more time cleaning off the plugs before I unscrewed them to make sure none of that Alabama red dirt got in there. ?

I'm now curious to see what the magnet looks like in the transmission pan....but not to excited about dropping the pan. Looks like a PITA with the exhaust pipe running across it.  I've seen the helpful videos from Dustin T and Sundae Drive on the ratchet strap technique to lower the pipe and that looks like the way to go.  Anyone else got some tips or tricks on that?

Going to do the fluid change on the front and rear diff's next.  Another lesson I learned from doing the t-case was to pressure wash the underneath first. I probably spent more time cleaning off the plugs before I unscrewed them to make sure none of that Alabama red dirt got in there. [emoji3]

This was my transmission magnet. Front and rear diff basically had sludge. When I changed the diffs I cleaned out the housing/gears with brake cleaner and let it drain then wiped up any excess. Let it air dry for at least 30 min. Just to be safe. On mine there was a magnet that was attached to bottom of the housing as well.

054f5a3c022617d592b5dd474dea1385.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Going to do the fluid change on the front and rear diff's next.  Another lesson I learned from doing the t-case was to pressure wash the underneath first. I probably spent more time cleaning off the plugs before I unscrewed them to make sure none of that Alabama red dirt got in there. [emoji3]

If it’s a 6 speed I posted a top trick on how to do it using a block of wood and a jack
I took pictures and everything just for you kids

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bob2C said:

This was my transmission magnet. Front and rear diff basically had sludge. When I changed the diffs I cleaned out the housing/gears with brake cleaner and let it drain then wiped up any excess. Let it air dry for at least 30 min. Just to be safe. On mine there was a magnet that was attached to bottom of the housing as well.

054f5a3c022617d592b5dd474dea1385.jpg

what was your mileage on your 2018 ???

Thank You

Sure thing. If you don’t drop the pan completely, I found flipping the filter makes it easy to get out. Make sure to push the pan as far to the passenger side as you can.

76aabf510dd4972704dd48659ea5da19.jpg
298c5cb139575c40a12d782351e28136.jpg

So.....pardon my ignorance, but do the trans pans already have a magnet for these fuzzy shavings or am I supposed to add the magnet to catch these fuzzy shavings? I'm getting close to probably doing this myself as I think my ODO just rolled over 49,000 miles this morning. Trying to be proactive on a lot of things based on experiences and recommendations from other more knowledgeable members on this forum. If I don't have a magnet, I'll be adding one when I do the trans oil change.

The fuzz shown here in the thread are from the Transfer Case drain plug.  My understanding is that the transmission pans also have a magnet (Shown by Bob2C with some sludge) in the pan and there should not be anywhere near the amount of shavings as the transfer case has/had.