2001 YUKON DENALI

Angel Hernandez

Question

ONLY after about an hour drive when i turn left or right at slow speeds i can hear a really loud knocking noise and when i turn the sterring wheel just a littlw bit it begins to grind. The next morning it will all go away. What can it be? My cv axels are good.

Also when i turn my truck on the hoses getting really hot even during the winter times what cab it be.

2 answers to this question

How do you know the CV joints are good?  A joint can be bad without the boot being torn or leaking.  If by slow driving you mean walking pace, take whatever you have covering the hub hole in the wheel off and while walking beside the truck have your wife (or husband, not that's there anything wrong with that) drive the truck with the wheels turned to the right, sharply.  I say to the right simply because it is safer for you, the truck will be driving away from you.  See if you can feel anything in the hub.  If you have a stethoscope, use that against the hub to listen for the noise.  A long screwdriver (24 to 30 inch long) held against the end of the axle or centre of the hub and the handle pressed against your ear works as well.  Remember that whichever you use, it can't be slipping on the hub, that noise will mislead you.  If you can jack the truck up so all 4 wheels are off the ground on PROPER SAFETY STANDS, can you get it to make the noise?

Wheel bearing noise tends to be louder in one direction, and be at least a different sound or gone completely in the other direction.  Speed is not usually the limiting factor for wheel bearings, but, you may need to turn the wheel further than safe at higher speeds.