Silverado 6L80E Transmission Thermostat Delete

2 hours ago, SeekAndDestroy said:

I have the 8 speed. To do this mod I used the 6 speed YouTube videos for reference. The thermostat housing looks identical to the 6 speed, and its in the same spot on the tranny. Pretty sure it’s the same part. 

Thank you for the conformation. That is helpful.  Very helpful. 

Edited by Grumpy Bear

another tip if your trans "6 or 8 speed" units, is to have the tuner only activate TCC  system on the final two gears of the transmission . this will lengthen the service life of the torque converter and improve shifts.

on my 6 speed , driving in M4 has much improved shift points  with the oem tune when compared to using M5 or Drive.  there is also less kick down when going WOT, something worth looking at in the histograms of the tcm. and copyng  over to the 5th thru 6th gears

for more performance tuners dont exceed 25-30% reduction on the Torque managment. i've read they pull about -5 degrees timing between shifts.  more stuff to learn

Edited by flyingfool

On 9/4/2020 at 8:15 PM, Ltz4 me? said:

What's the temperature difference between factory and deleted that you've noticed?( did you just flip tstat over reinstall the spring then put cap back on with snap ring?)

Now that we have conformation.... Depends on the ambient temperature.

I collected this data over several years using two different water thermostats

170 F & 180 F

If your still using the 207 F water thermostat your numbers will be higher.

TransTemp.thumb.png.026abb0e57c15a77d3ae332bdbbbfe88.png

Bottom scale is air temperature

Left scale is ATF temperature

Reference is 55 mph

Ok, so how much did you drop extra b/c of the 175deg water stat change in addition to the pill flip?

I wonder with the new synthetic fluid upgrade as the latest TSB if 180-200 is less of a problem in some way due to if let's say this fluid can withstand a higher temp than the standard transmission fluid?