Gooseneck hitch w/ 2500 HD standard bed prep package

Hi.  New owner of a 2500 HD LTZ with standard bed that I bought primarily as a tow vehicle.  Definitely new to towing.  We plan to rent trailers over the next few years and then decide on one that works for us.

The truck came with the gooseneck/5th wheel prep package which I thought might come in handy if we go that route in the future.  When I started looking for hitches, I saw mention of the "puck system" on a few sites but none of the hitches would fit the standard box.  Rather, they specified the 8' bed only.

Is towing via 5th wheel with a 6'8" standard bed possible?  Why are the holes even drilled into the bed?  Does anyone have a setup they'd like to recommend?

Edited by heywalt

The issue you can have with fifth wheels and standard beds is on tight turns the fifth wheel could hit the cab of the truck.  To correct for this, a lot of hitch manufacturers make slider hitches where the hitch center slides back towards the tailgate.  

For 2020, the bed is 2" longer and the hitch center is 2" behind the axle.  This extra length from the cab has minimized the need to have a slider hitch.  

#iworkforGM 

I have the standard box on my 2020 and use a Reese Goosebox hitch on my 5th wheel. Maneuverability hasn't been an issue and tight turns can be made, if needed. I also have the factory puck system. When my 5th wheel is unhooked, all I have in the bed is the ball and 2 chain anchors, both of which can be removed easily in a few seconds for a completely clear bed.

I have the standard box on my 2020 and use a Reese Goosebox hitch on my 5th wheel. Maneuverability hasn't been an issue and tight turns can be made, if needed. I also have the factory puck system. When my 5th wheel is unhooked, all I have in the bed is the ball and 2 chain anchors, both of which can be removed easily in a few seconds for a completely clear bed.
Can u post picture and part numbers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

I have a Silverado 3500 with the standard bed and OEM puck system.  For my fifth wheel, I bought the Andersen Ultimate hitch.  It mounts to the gooseball in the bed of my truck.  It also moves the hitch mount point back another 5" if installed in the standard configuration. There is an adapter that you connect to the trailer's kin pin which can (and does for me) move the trailer back another 4".  With this configuration, I have plenty of clearance between the trailer and truck cab even on severe turns. The beauty of the Andersen hitch is that it weighs 38 lbs and can be easily removed.

18 hours ago, mkeddie said:

Can u post picture and part numbers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

The hitch is a Reese GooseBox 16k and the ball anchors are the GM/Chevrolet branded kit made by Curt hitches. 

The 5th wheel/gooseneck kit is part #84759852. The Reese GooseBox 16k is part #94716.

5 hours ago, gearheadesw said:

So if I don't have 5th wheel anything on my '17 2500 hd, can't I add a 5th wheel set up? Get a hitch mounted, run some wiring, I dunno, never had a 5th wheel pick up truck.

Sure you can.

That is/was the 'traditional' way to do it.   Everything aftermarket.

Puck system is a relatively new thing.  It is supposed to make it simpler way to end up with the hitch structurally connected to the frame rails, and make it so there aren't hitch adapter/mounting rails in bed when 5th wheel hitch is removed.  

Provides common method for any hitch manufacturers to attach securely to truck. 

• Like 1

On 8/7/2020 at 12:15 PM, Njmurvin said:

I have a Silverado 3500 with the standard bed and OEM puck system.  For my fifth wheel, I bought the Andersen Ultimate hitch.  It mounts to the gooseball in the bed of my truck.  It also moves the hitch mount point back another 5" if installed in the standard configuration. There is an adapter that you connect to the trailer's kin pin which can (and does for me) move the trailer back another 4".  With this configuration, I have plenty of clearance between the trailer and truck cab even on severe turns. The beauty of the Andersen hitch is that it weighs 38 lbs and can be easily removed.

I just went the same route  with my new 3500 AT4.  I have the standard bed and the Andersen hithch and can do a 90 degree turn without hitting the cab.  Plus like you mentioned, the 38lbs versus 380lbs of a traditional hitch sealed the deal.

There was a lot of chatter on rv.net about this hitch and bed deflection (fore and aft pressure on the bed from starts and especially stops). I looked carefully at my bed after a trip to Big Bear. There was no evidence of any bed damage. Andersen sells a rubber non slip mat to go under the hitch. I bought a simple rubber mat from Home Depot and cut a hole for the gooseneck.  Even though I have the sprayed in bedliner, I wanted to protect from any rubbing, scratches, etc.  My trailer is around 12k and the hitch never budged.

I think I'm confusing myself, please help the non knowing. What's the 5th wheel set up, as opposed to the gooseneck set up.

5th wheel is a plate and a locking mechanism for a pin like you would see on a tractor/trailer. Gooseneck is just a ball in the center of your bed. With a 5th wheel the truck carries the bulk of the attaching mechanism where as a gooseneck setup the trailer carries the attachment mechanism. I converted my 5th wheel to a gooseneck so when I disconnect there is nothing in the bed except the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1