Helpful add on’s and adjustments

I have a 2014 Ltz z71 1500 with a 5.3 and 6 speed. I have had it for about a year and a half and have started reading about a lot of problem spots, one being the transmission. So I plan on doing the “thermostat flip”. Even though I live in Minnesota, I think it’ll be ok during them cold winter drives. 
another add on I have read about and dug into a bit, is the catch can. It makes complete sense to me how this add on would help. Question I have about it though, once installed, should something be ran through the intake to clean the valves of what has built up?

its little changes like these two that I am all for doing to help the truck run better and stay in good running shape for as long as possible. 
These are also the only 2 things I have heard about doing. Are there anymore? I’m not opposed to sticking money into the truck to do helpful mods either. 

49 minutes ago, 22’s said:

I have a 2014 Ltz z71 1500 with a 5.3 and 6 speed. I have had it for about a year and a half and have started reading about a lot of problem spots, one being the transmission. So I plan on doing the “thermostat flip”. Even though I live in Minnesota, I think it’ll be ok during them cold winter drives. 
another add on I have read about and dug into a bit, is the catch can. It makes complete sense to me how this add on would help. Question I have about it though, once installed, should something be ran through the intake to clean the valves of what has built up?

its little changes like these two that I am all for doing to help the truck run better and stay in good running shape for as long as possible. 
These are also the only 2 things I have heard about doing. Are there anymore? I’m not opposed to sticking money into the truck to do helpful mods either. 

I say skip the catch can. Not necessary.

I'd recommend four amsoil products that I used in my 2014 5.3L when I was around 80k or so.

Go get the Power Foam and Engine Flush.  These will help get it back to new.  

Then, run the upper cylinder lubricant and complete fuel system treatment in the same tank with premium fuel.  This combination will further clean up the truck.

I recently traded my 2014 with 99k on it, and the engine still ran like new with the help of these products.

I never used the transmission flush product, rather I used Lubeguard Platinum ATF protectant and Lubeguard shudder fix.  Just added the appropriate amount into the existing transmission fluid.  You have to drive for a while before these two start working, as they mix with the existing fluid. 

With all this care, you'll be set for the long haul.

Screenshot_20200829-081751_Chrome.thumb.jpg.60b855841a86fa67fb319581f48e4393.jpg

I wouldn't say that the catch can is necessary, but it doesn't hurt and mine catches a LOT of stuff that I'd rather not have to clean out later.  It's not perfect, cleaning is still necessary from time to time, but an ounce of prevention ya know?  And it doesn't have to be a $1,000 catch can.  A $40 eBay special works too.

Plenty of comparisons on youtube regarding intake valve cleaners. I've personally used seafoam and crc. I'm the second owner of my truck and purchased it with relatively low kilometers so I've kept a tight maintenance schedule including using seafoam or crc every other oil change. From looking at tests of these products online, it doesn't seem like they help with higher mileage engines with pre-existing carbon buildup, but I would think its a great preventative measure for removing fresh carbon deposits. I also have a catch can, which I have to dump out every other oil change. Like others have said, the idea of it makes sense, so why not.

If you're looking for things to do to keep your truck running right, just keep up with the gm recommended maintenance schedule.

Edited by jshrubs