Faulty Trans Fluid Temp Sensor Special Coverage

11 hours ago, Flip07AWD said:

My 2015 All Terrain 6.2L just started throwing this code sadly 2 months out of warranty. 

Where you able to get it covered under the special warranty?

My VIN was not in the range of vehicles covered on the special coverage. I called GM and was able to get it covered 50/50 with the dealer. Turned out costing $240 to have transmission wiring harness replaced. 

On 3/26/2021 at 11:21 AM, 6.2L transmission issues said:

My VIN was not in the range of vehicles covered on the special coverage. I called GM and was able to get it covered 50/50 with the dealer. Turned out costing $240 to have transmission wiring harness replaced. 

Thank you. I called GM yesterday and they said they would help me out but wouldn't tell me how much it was frustrating lol. 

• 2 months later...

Well, sadly...my dealer, Coulter Cadillac in Phoenix refused to cover the issue or even volunteer to help. GM turned me down saying my VIN wasn't included. 2015 Sierra 1500 Denali with 6.2 and 8 speed. I argued that my truck was a 2015 1/2 so probably got the bad part installed just before the 2016's came down the line, but the lady at GM wouldn't budge. Even though my truck was unlucky enough to get the bad part, they didn't care a whit. BTW, I've been having my GMC vehicles serviced at that dealer since 2006. No more. $1250.00 quoted.

The dealer even quoted 4.2 hours labor for a 1 hour job. That's what the special coverage calls for...1 hour. Makes sense since you don't have to take off the valve assembly or exhaust; just remove the fluid, drop the pan, drop the filter, unplug the harness...remove 3 screws and drop the harness. Replace above. Takes longer to pump out and replace the fluid than anything else.

They wanted to charge me for the sensor as well....even though according to GM, the sensor is part of the harness assembly.

I walked away. Sigh.

Think I'm done with GM. I'm not happy....

david

(only 2016 vehicles on the special coverage)

Edited by videoarizona
Add

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/26/2021 at 11:21 AM, 6.2L transmission issues said:

Who do you even call at GM? Just the general customer service number or what? Never had to deal with this and mine is 3,000 miles out of power train. Not covered under special coverage. 

On 6/12/2021 at 6:54 AM, Sean_McNulty said:

Who do you even call at GM? Just the general customer service number or what? Never had to deal with this and mine is 3,000 miles out of power train. Not covered under special coverage. 

Welcome to the site.

This is the number I always start with:

Customer Assistance Offices Chevrolet encourages customers to call the toll-free number for assistance. However, if a customer wishes to write or e-mail Chevrolet, the letter should be addressed to: United States and Puerto Rico Chevrolet Motor Division Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center P.O. Box 33170 Detroit, MI 48232-5170 www.Chevrolet.com 1-800-222-1020

• Like 1

Thank you! I am dropping it off in 2 days and they’ll be able to get it done that day. They quoted me based on last one they did, which was $1150. I’ll give them a call in the morning and see if they can. If not, not too much else I can do than eat it. I appreciate the help though!

Edited by Sean_McNulty

Ugh. Mine, 2016 1500 LTZ 8-Speed 3.42, popped the 0700 and 0711 code on Friday, a few months after the warranty is gone. Really annoying is I have been hard shifting for a little more than a year now and had it looked at last year. Nothing found.

Can I still reference the special coverage and tell them I just want them to do that and save the $250 diagnosis fee?? Never had so many issues with a vehicle until this guy.

Thanks for the number!

I have the 16 Sierra SLT 1500 and had the exact same issue. Nothing “wrong” with it then, but code popped up Friday as well.  I’m dropping it off tomorrow and since I knew of the issue, and they had fixed some previously, they did cut the diagnostic fee in half down to $110.

Naturally, my code went away this morning, but I’m still taking it in. 

2 hours ago, Sean_McNulty said:

Thanks for the number!

I have the 16 Sierra SLT 1500 and had the exact same issue. Nothing “wrong” with it then, but code popped up Friday as well.  I’m dropping it off tomorrow and since I knew of the issue, and they had fixed some previously, they did cut the diagnostic fee in half down to $110.

Naturally, my code went away this morning, but I’m still taking it in. 

Let me know what GM says, mine came out to $1,116 wanted to change the transmission fluid for awhile so I guess thats something

• Like 1

On 9/15/2020 at 12:56 PM, midwestdenaliguy said:

Wanted to make everyone aware of a special coverage if you are dealing with a faulty trans fluid temp sensor. I believe this is only for the 8 speed on the 2015 and 2016, but correct me if it applies to the 6 speed or other years as well. The sensor is attached to a wire harness inside your transmission and the original harness has been known to go bad, specifically the temp sensor. I had 2 codes light up the SES, P0700 and P0711. P0711 let's you know it's the sensor. A month and a half ago (7/29/2020), GM released a special coverage that extends the warranty to repair this, up to 10 years or 120,000 miles. It's special coverage #N192291660. They replaced the transmission wire harness (#24298757), the trans pan gasket (#24260071), trans filter (#24274402), and all trans fluid (new HP fluid - #19417577B). Additionally, it covers some of the exhaust parts too if they have to remove any to get the trans pan out (my dealer did not have to do this, most can slightly push down on the exhaust to get the pan out). But if your dealer needs to remove any of the exhaust, it's an exhaust seal and gasket that need to be replaced (#15077362 and #15035747).

In addition to the SES light, apparently it can cause hard shifting when the sensor starts to go bad. I didn't experience this, but it's fairly common from what the service dept told me. You can also easily tell when the sensor is going bad by watching your trans fluid temp needle. It will erratically bounce up and down, sometimes slightly and other times it's big jumps.

My 2016 GMC Sierra has the 6.2L paired with the 8 speed trans. Had this repair done under the special coverage extended warranty with 112,600 miles on my odometer. They got me in and out the same day.

Is the 6.2 a different part number than the 5.3? Had the stealership and a local shop price out, both say two part harness and have to remove the valve head to replace. Do they only need to replace the harness and not the sensor?

9 minutes ago, Differcult said:

Is the 6.2 a different part number than the 5.3? Had the stealership and a local shop price out, both say two part harness and have to remove the valve head to replace. Do they only need to replace the harness and not the sensor?

5.3 and 6.2 use the same one.  The difference is if the existing harness is a 10 way or 4 way plug and electronic shift control or not.

10 way applications use 24297371 pass thru harness and 24298757 valve body harness.  4 way connector applications use 24297371 pass thru harness and 24298758 valve body harness. 

The temperature sensor is a part of the valve body harness and isn't serviced separate from the harness.  

• Like 1

On 6/14/2021 at 1:42 PM, Differcult said:

Let me know what GM says, mine came out to $1,116 wanted to change the transmission fluid for awhile so I guess thats something

Mine came out to $1057. The guy at service desk took off the diagnostic fee so that took $110 off. I can tell you that my truck hasn’t ever shifted as good as it did in the hour drive from the dealership. Feels like a whole new truck. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, newdude said:

5.3 and 6.2 use the same one.  The difference is if the existing harness is a 10 way or 4 way plug and electronic shift control or not.

10 way applications use 24297371 pass thru harness and 24298757 valve body harness.  4 way connector applications use 24297371 pass thru harness and 24298758 valve body harness. 

The temperature sensor is a part of the valve body harness and isn't serviced separate from the harness.  

So does only the valve body harness need to be replaced? From the videos I have watched the valve head doesn't need to be removed, but their computer says it does, is this inaccurate? 

2 hours ago, Differcult said:

So does only the valve body harness need to be replaced? From the videos I have watched the valve head doesn't need to be removed, but their computer says it does, is this inaccurate? 

If the harness has never been replaced at all before, you need both pieces because the original design harness is a one piece unit.  Once its been updated to the new two piece style, if in the event of future temp sensor failure you can then just buy the valve body half of the harness.  

The valve body its a 50/50 if it has to be removed to change the harness correctly.  Depends on if there is a connector in a certain spot on the harness or not.  

Edited by newdude
  • Like 1