Rear clunking noise

My 2016 GMC Sierra SLT 1500 has a clunking noise coming from rear of truck when turning in or out of my driveway or when making a turn onto an uneven surface,,,can anybody advise me as to where this could be coming from and how to fix it,,Thanks,,

Kinda sounds like whats going with mine. Usually does this with frame twisting. In my case my leaf springs are rotating right or left and the keeper on the front is a bit out of shape. Not sure if the leaf pack is shot. I'm trying to find time to have the dealer check it out. I'll let you know what I come up with.

One thing I did notice yesterday was a heavy load in the bed quieted it right up. Food for thought.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Sounds like the locker differential, try jacking the rear tires off the ground SECURE WITH JACK STANDS!, start and place in drive, with your foot, try to slow one of the rear tires down, it should slow down to the point that the locker "Kicks in", if you can't slow one of the tires down, then the clutches are lock up some how.

I have the same problem in my 2018 Silerado 4WD. Most noticeable when there is a load in the bed or when towing (tongue weight about 400#) It is currently at the dealer for the third time. Last visit they removed the bed to isolate that. Any ideas or solutions much appreciated. 

mine did this too...i found it was the leaf springs ....i used a can of white grease and sprayed it right behind the front perch where the clamp is ....use a can with a straw so u can get it in there good ...any lube will work...maybe give it a try and see if that is your trouble

Edited by evad

Try some bicycle inner tube over the spring pads. That quieted mine down. It has been over a year since I did that and it is still quiet. I cut a bicycle inner tube into four equal lengths. Folded each length over itself and put the folded end over the pad and used a tie wrap to hold in place. I placed a length of folded inner tube over the front and rear spring pads and this has stopped the clunking sound from the rear of my truck.

2146429042_Innertube.thumb.jpg.d1baf0014796efdde19140286193fc2d.jpg