Tires - load range, model availability, ride quality

Hi folks,

Digging into tires on a new-to-me 2016 1500. I haven’t actually even seen it in person yet (another story).

It has 17 inch steelies on it now—got to go. It seems that 18 inch alloys are the smallest OEM replacements out there so that’s what I’ll prob get. I’m having trouble choosing a tire. I’ve previously had BFG KO and they were perfect for me. When I look at the 18 inch options for KO2 that are the correct diameter (ok choice) or slightly larger diameter (what I want), they only come in a load range E. I feel like that’s overkill and will result in a terribly bouncy ride.

If I go from a 265 down to 255 width, there is a load D available. Would that be crazy to go more narrow?

Me, in general, is one to stay fairly close to stock. I basically would like the truck to look like something GMC should have offered.

General use for this is as a grocery-getter/hardware store runs. But, I would like some off-road capability as I do go out to some trails (which around here is small-ish rocks and lots’o mud/ruts, no rock climbing).

I’m in favor of an eventual leveling or adjustable front stocks but I gotta keep it garage-able.

Any advice?

Load E KO2?

More narrow load D KO2?

Another tire that performs comparably that might come in size/load rating I want?

TIA

As far as ride quality, just run the tires at 32-35 psi cold, and you'll never be able to tell the difference.

Having something as critical as a tire being stronger than it needs to be is, in my humble opinion, a good thing.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Tires for seventeen inch wheels are much less expensive than for 18s.  Even tires for 20s cost less.  If you had 20s, the KO2 comes in a D, LT275-55-20. 

Run LT265-70-17s KO2 Cs on my truck.  In 3 years, 3 of the 4 have been punctured and none caused the tire to run flat, all were slow leaks despite the large size of the nails or screws.  

I always bought the highest ply load range KOs offered. I went with direct replacements. I didn’t inflate to maximum tire pressure. I had long life with a smooth quiet ride. I will admit I never tried anything else. Didn’t need to.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Broaden your 17" search to GMC wheels. I have stock wheels similar to the "last example" except with 6 spokes.   Tire threads are popular (plentiful) on this forum and I always like to put a plug in for Costco Michelins.  This has been my preferred combination for over twenty years.  I've never turned away from an unplowed road and I've never found myself stuck or at the roadside with a flat.  I've had their M/S tires in P and LT ratings and found no advantage to the heavier tire.  The extra unnecessary unsprung weight of a LT will be noticed at the pump.  Of course this is not much of an issue when fuel is cheap, but I enjoy $5 + us gal. prices!  

• Like 1