P0157?

2005 1500 5.3L 160k. Gotten this code. The O2 sensors are new in last 2 years. New Acdelco parts put on. Could i have a defective part? How to tell if sensor is actually bad? Or something else? Coolant temp sensor? Truck runs normally and no decrease in fuel economy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It won't change fuel mileage or running performance because it's the sensor after the cat converter.

The code says that it's possible there is a wiring issue with the sensor. Be it within the o2 sensor harness itself or with the wiring going down to the sensor.

If you want a free test that only takes your time you should flip flop the rear o2 sensors side to side. If the code changes to the Bank 1 sensor 2 fault, then you know that sensor is the cause. If the fault stays as a Bank 2 sensor 2 fault then you have issues with that side still.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
It won't change fuel mileage or running performance because it's the sensor after the cat converter.

The code says that it's possible there is a wiring issue with the sensor. Be it within the o2 sensor harness itself or with the wiring going down to the sensor.

If you want a free test that only takes your time you should flip flop the rear o2 sensors side to side. If the code changes to the Bank 1 sensor 2 fault, then you know that sensor is the cause. If the fault stays as a Bank 2 sensor 2 fault then you have issues with that side still.

Looked at it today. Took sensor out that is throwing the code. Last year put New sensor and put extender on it with also.. Well extender rotted out. Took it out with o2 sensor. Nothing is in there now. Drove it and CEL went off.

• 5 weeks later...

So now got P0158 code. Swapped o2 sensors. It did not change the code. So its not the sensor then. Researching online it could be ECM, fuel pressure regulator, coolant temperature sensor. Thinking now changing coolant temp sensor. with scan tool its reading 192F. Shouldnt it be 210F? Have not done anything and CEL went back off.

The thermostat in that truck should be a 192 or 195 so that temp is normal. The cluster and real coolant temp are never the same, the gauge will always report higher than actual on those years.

I'd be looking at the harness now because both those codes are circuit codes.

• Like 1

Yeah, pretty much.

The NBS and NNBS trucks are pretty well known for that. The gauge will be about 10-15 degrees over the actual temp in the engine. The later 2014-2018 trucks are a little more accurate but still off some. The newest trucks are much more spot on from everything I've seen.

Even the warm up temps are more off. Once it creeps past 160 degrees it's more like 120-130 degrees.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

O2 sensors run from 0-1000mv, a good multimeter will have a Millivolt setting.

A properly working rear o2 sensor will switch back and forth as the engine warms up and settle around 600-700ish mv if the cat converter is working correctly. A bad sensor will read near zero or really high off the charts all the time.