First Tow w/ New Truck

First trip this week and the truck tows very well.  Trailer is 27', 6396# dry weight, 929# hitch weight.  Using Equalizer hitch and with 606 miles under our belt we are averaging 11.5 mpg on flat terrain with minimal wind.  Highway driving @ 64--68 mph with zero sway.  Only complaint is mpg plus one size fits all fuel tank, we make frequent stops for refueling.  

Happy camper here.  

IMG_1112.jpg

Edited by LowCountryDenali
  • Like 4

First trip this week and the truck tows very well.  Trailer is 27', 6396# dry weight, 929# hitch weight.  Using Curt 17500 hitch and with 606 miles under our belt we are averaging 11.5 mpg on flat terrain with minimal wind.  Highway driving @ 64--68 mph with zero sway.  Only complaint is mpg plus one size fits all fuel tank, we make frequent stops for refueling.  
Happy camper here.  
IMG_1112.thumb.jpg.3f38f94d16d97839f0eea049d6d51ef4.jpg

Why GM puts such a small gas tank in these trucks is beyond me! [emoji2359]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 2

What a great combination, Congratulations! The Denali looks fantastic and I love the floorplan of the 27'.  I too wish we could get a larger fuel tank in these half-tons. Truth is my wife forces us to stop sooner than fuel is needed so I always just top the tank off anyways... but I would pay good money to have a larger tank for sure.

• Like 1

Also, I had some initial concern about the lack of tow mirrors on my truck.  Happy to say that visibility was good and with the trailering tech on the truck you get a full side view camera when using the turn signals to change lanes or make a turn.  Sweet!

I'm curious, what engine do you have in your Denali? It is a nice looking rig, by the way. I'm also wondering about the Airstream trailer...why Airstream and not one of the ultralights that have slides? I am thinking about a camper/trailer but know nothing about them. Thanks.

7 hours ago, Rad64 said:

I'm curious, what engine do you have in your Denali? It is a nice looking rig, by the way. I'm also wondering about the Airstream trailer...why Airstream and not one of the ultralights that have slides? I am thinking about a camper/trailer but know nothing about them. Thanks.

I have the 6.2 V8 and the Airstream tows like a dream with the Equalizer hitch.  Sucks up a lot of fuel but it's the nature of the beast.  Would be nice to have a 36 gal. fuel tank.  The Airstream is great for the two of us plus our dog.  Wouldn't want to take an extended trip with any more than 2 ppl.  We can coexist as long as the weather is good and we can be outside!   As you know the Airstream has no slides so space is limited albeit comfortable and very well built.  If you have a family, get one of the ultralights with slides.  And the ultralights cost a fraction of what you'll pay for a new (or used) Airstream.