• 1 month later...

It may be better new, but it may not stay that way.

Magnetic suspension went bad pretty quick on the previous generation of these cars, and after a few thousand miles they are worse then the regular ones.

Not sure what has been improved in these new ones though.

Air suspension might be the best bet.  Not sure if air suspension still has a short lifespan magnetic system on it also.

On 12/18/2020 at 5:51 PM, caleb01 said:

It may be better new, but it may not stay that way.

Magnetic suspension went bad pretty quick on the previous generation of these cars, and after a few thousand miles they are worse then the regular ones.

Not sure what has been improved in these new ones though.

Air suspension might be the best bet.  Not sure if air suspension still has a short lifespan magnetic system on it also.

I’m glad i am not the only one who feels that way. I had a SS that had magnetic suspension and it wasn't all it cracked up to be. Been eyeing up a new Suburban and absolutely will not have magnetic or air suspension. 

• Like 1

My 2015 Suburban has the Magnetic on the front and air on the back.  90K miles with no problems.  The only "problem" is the loud compressor that fills the sacs in the back.  I'm sure this will lead to a failed compressor at some point but for now it's fine.  The ride is very nice.  My old Expedition had the air but regular shocks on front and I'd say the magnetic is much smoother.

Back in 2014 when I bought my truck, they came with 2 suspensions.  Magnetic and Premium rides.  My truck came with the Premium ride and almost 7 yrs later, it still rides the same way.  
I wonder what the premium ride consists of. Air suspension?
My 2015 Suburban has the Magnetic on the front and air on the back.  90K miles with no problems.  The only "problem" is the loud compressor that fills the sacs in the back.  I'm sure this will lead to a failed compressor at some point but for now it's fine.  The ride is very nice.  My old Expedition had the air but regular shocks on front and I'd say the magnetic is much smoother.
It sure is hit or miss....

I've heard that the cost of repairs or replacement for the mag ride is not easy on the wallet. (based on K2 gen) If you plan to keep it a long time that is something to consider. If you are "3 years and trade-in" then probly not an issue for you.

• Like 1

Some point in time I may need to service the suspension, probably not at the cost of the Magnetic ride.  But similar to the Magnetic, my ride is also smooth.  I don't believe there is "air" associated with Premium ride, but the ride is too bouncy when hitting dips or bumps at 75+ speeds.  I'll never like the suspension, but adjusted to it.

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Mandalorian said:

Magneride is fine. It's been around for a long time and is licensed and used by a variety of brands (including Ferrari) without issue. 

I'm sure that suspension is proven on exotic and performance sport cars in general.  However, I think the jury is still out with that type of suspension on a truck the weight of a GM Fullsize SUV.  In time, more research and enhancements in the technology may show that type of suspension could be better for the heavier, non-performance type vehicles.