New vehicle paint protection?

5 minutes ago, Mercracing said:

Hey guys might be getting my first new vehicle. I see a lot of talk about ceramic coating and other similar things. Is there one that’s definitely the best for a new vehicle? I live in the snow belt if it matters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Check out "The Last Coat", really good stuff.

• Like 2

Lot's of options out there.  Ceramic is pricey if you have a professional do it, but there are a lot of do it yourself products if you want to go that route.  I swear by Carpro products.

If you want to do it yourself, a random orbital polisher with a high quality, low cut polish followed by a good silicone sealant will do just fine.  There are some easier products that are really good too.  I just picked up a new AT4 last weekend and here's my plan.

Quick clay with synthetic clay sponge, polish with Carpro Essence, seal with Reload and then maintain with Carpro Hydro Foam every 3 months.  Hydro Foam is really good.  You simply foam it on with a pressure washer and foam gun and then wash, creates a really good slick seal.  Here's a link to the Camaro forum with a ton of information on cosmetic maintenance.  Careful, with all the information out there, it will make your head spin, just don't overthink it.

https://www.camaro6.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=9e71f04f89ad813ee4e2e2eb6d92cdd7&f=252

Edited by OliverDennis52
  • Like 1

ea4e0050f1557edcfb7e2a8bdc6581a2.jpg

I’ve done 2 vehicles with Adams new ceramic. Not expensive just takes time to prep correctly. It works as advertised makes cleaning much easier

I coated my truck with the original stuff back in May of 2019 and it’s holding up well. Getting ready to redo my Camaro his winter as it needs a good claying

f5cf2314d18a0dba6091c1f7486d231f.jpg

Whatever route you go add some sort of paint protection at the minimum

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Mercracing said:

Are these aftermarket paint protectors the same kind of thing that the dealer offers? Or are these different/better?

Not really sure what the dealers offer and whether they're any good or not.  Just my opinion, and not grounded in fact, is that those dealer offers are really just money makers and I normally dismiss them right off.  But then again, I don't like anyone touching my vehicles unless they have to, plus when I do it I know it's been done to my standards and satisfaction.  I cringe when I need warranty work done.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, RyanbabZ71 said:

ea4e0050f1557edcfb7e2a8bdc6581a2.jpg

I’ve done 2 vehicles with Adams new ceramic. Not expensive just takes time to prep correctly. It works as advertised makes cleaning much easier

I coated my truck with the original stuff back in May of 2019 and it’s holding up well. Getting ready to redo my Camaro his winter as it needs a good claying

f5cf2314d18a0dba6091c1f7486d231f.jpg

Whatever route you go add some sort of paint protection at the minimum

Ryan, your 1LE looks great.  I just sold my 2SS, hyper blue like yours, that's a 6.2L you could really sink your foot into. I bought my from Becky too (may she rest in peace).  I believe it was the first Camaro she sold when she moved over to James Martin, great lady.  How does the Graphene hold up?

Edited by OliverDennis52

Not really sure what the dealers offer and whether they're any good or not.  Just my opinion, and not grounded in fact, is that those dealer offers are really just money makers and I normally dismiss them right off.  But then again, I don't like anyone touching my vehicles unless they have to, plus when I do it I know it's been done to my standards and satisfaction.  I cringe when I need warranty work done.  

I can’t for the life of me remember what the stuff they have is called. I only lean towards having someone do it because they would be more knowledgeable and better at applying it then me.

Ryan, your 1LE looks great.  I just sold my 2SS, hyper blue like yours, that's a 6.2L you could really sink your foot into. I bought my from Becky too (may she rest in peace).  I believe it was the first Camaro she sold when she moved over to James Martin, great lady.  How does the Graphene hold up?

Yea super sad when that all went down earlier this year. I shoulda went to the memorial at the track but had baseball that evening.

I dont have a lot of ”data” on how it’s holding up. My parents Highlander was coated in October and I don’t think it’s been out of the garage since they got home. The white VW I did was coated right after thanksgiving. It rained 2 days after applying and the next day you couldn’t even tell it was in the rain. It worked great. It hasn’t been washed since either and was in the snow yesterday. Probably in a week and a half I’ll give it a wash. The original coating is still Holding up well So I would say this should outperform it.

I did ceramic myself, my only advice is do all the aftermarket stuff that uses 3m tape before you do the ceramic. Think thinks like a bug shield, mud flaps and the stick on tailgate letters. After you do ceramic this stuff won’t stick to it and removing enough ceramic to get 3M to stick is a major job. 

• 3 weeks later...