Titan Replacment Fuel Tank, 2020 Diesel HD

• 2 weeks later...

Range is just a guess on how you might drive in the future...

Several ways to estimate range, just as accurately as the estimate from the computer 

Just like we did before there were 'guess-o-meters' for range. 

We might even do it better, if we know that we are going to getting better/worse fuel economy due change in the grades/speeds/loads/etc.

I don't think you will have to worry about range of fuel with that tank, the limiting factor will be the range of your bladder. I wish they made one for the cclb as I do think 36 gallons is a bit light for a dually.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

I received the replacement tank earlier this week.  The box Titan ships the tank in is about 15 inches too long.  Box was beat up pretty bad, gouges in the cardboard where the tank straps poked through and ripped the cardboard as the tank and straps slid back and forth inside the box.  The tank is plastic and was in surprisingly good condition.

I tried to do the replacement in the driveway, but I do not have the tools to disconnect the “quick connect” fuel line fittings.  I got the old tank down, but was unable to disconnect the supply and return lines.  Clearances under the truck would have made it hard to get the new tank in place under the truck, it hangs down about two inched lower, and the top sticks up higher.  Going to a diesel repair shop next week to have the tank installed, I will let you know how it goes.

The tank uses the original fuel pickup and level sender, so I expect the fuel level gauge to work as the original, just take longer to fall off the FULL mark.  I have an iDash to backup that reading.  I do expect the ‘Range’ calculation to be off in the low direction.  After all, this tank is roughly 55% larger than the original equipment, so I expect the actual ‘Range’ to be half again further than reported.  I think that is a good thing!

• 3 weeks later...

I was finally able to get the truck out for a road trip with the new Titan tank. After a fill-up I put 400 miles on the truck.  Usually takes 60-90 miles on the highway for the fuel gauge to come off the full mark.  The new tank went to 175 miles before falling below full, 40 of those miles were in town.  After the 400 mile trip the fuel gauge was at 11/16 of a tank.

The truck did a software update today, but I had to unplug the iDash from the OBD port before it would install successfully.  This is the first software update I have noticed the truck doing since I brought it home last February.  It has been to the dealership for a free oil change and tire rotation once.  They may have done an update then.

Photos show old and new tank installed from the driver's side, and a couple of the tank just after it came out of the box.

IMG_4134.JPG

IMG_4136.JPG

IMG_4138.JPG

IMG_4146.JPG

Only driven a couple of half tanks full so far, no problems.  I'm sure the miles to empty is off, it has not changed since going to the bigger tank.  A full tank shows about 700 miles to empty.  In 15K miles I have been averaging 18.9 MPG.  With a 36 gallon tank that's 680.4 miles.  With the larger tank it should be 1,058.4 miles.  The trucks computer is not aware of the extra fuel in the tank.  If you add about 50% to the trucks estimate, you will be closer to the truth.

• 1 month later...
On 2/11/2021 at 3:37 PM, Major Tom said:

Only driven a couple of half tanks full so far, no problems.  I'm sure the miles to empty is off, it has not changed since going to the bigger tank.  A full tank shows about 700 miles to empty.  In 15K miles I have been averaging 18.9 MPG.  With a 36 gallon tank that's 680.4 miles.  With the larger tank it should be 1,058.4 miles.  The trucks computer is not aware of the extra fuel in the tank.  If you add about 50% to the trucks estimate, you will be closer to the truth.

Now that you have had it a bit of time - how do you like it?   the good (size), the bad (if any) and the ugly (if any). 

Thx 

The good is the extra 55% on-board.  With the cost of fuel going up, and the limits on credit card purchase at the local pump, that could be the ugly.  The bad for off road is, the lack of a tank skid plate and a metal shield between the driveline and the tank that the original equipment has.

All that being said, I’ll keep the Titan tank.  Can anyone use an original tank and straps?  Make me an offer.