21 Tahoe or 21 Sequoia?

My wife and I have been thinking of trading in her 2018 Traverse LT early next year. We've test driven both the 21 Tahoe Premier and 21 Sequoia Nightshade. Both are really nice with their pros and cons. We have had some mingling issues with the Traverse which for the most part have all been fixed under warranty. We've had two more issues creep up now out of warranty. We're considering going with a full size SUV since we have 4 kids ranging from ages 11 to 18 yrs old. It's important that the 3rd row has adequate leg room for teenagers/adults, really the only SUV that is good for that is the Traverse in its class and obviously when you jump to the new Tahoe, Expedition, and Sequoia.

I have an 18 Silverado which "knock on wood" has been good to me, but our Traverse has had several issues that I would not of expected but being a first year vehicle guess it happens. The most annoying thing has been that they had to change our brakes twice, a cilinoid issue in the gear shifter, and the passenger seat frame having to be replaced now twice because of coming loose lightly rocking back and forth. We are trying to see how the quality of the new Tahoe has been fully understanding that it is a first year redesign. We also test drove the 21 Sequoia, while it is a nice SUV, the issue is that its dated since its on a 12 year old platform where they have only done minor updates. The other thing that gets me is that its a damn tank getting only 13 mpg city/17 hwy while the Tahoe gets 17/20.

Just looking for some thoughts and feedback since I know that GM has reliability issues for years and while Toyota is a bit better in that dept, I feel for what you pay with their price tags they don't offer enough for their vehicles being on older platforms for years.

45 minutes ago, captainzombie said:

It's important that the 3rd row has adequate leg room for teenagers/adults, ...

Just looking for some thoughts and feedback...

You may want to post the same message on the Sequoia forum to get an honest assessment, then make your comparison.  As for third row seating in the Tahoe while owning the previous 3 generations, the third row is not designed for an adult.  The new gen may have more third row leg room, but it would have to increase at least a foot from the previous gens to be comfortable for a small adult.  

Edited by The Zip

You said it already!  The Sequoia is a 12 year old product.  Would you buy a 12 year old laptop?  No you would not.  Vehicles have more lines of code in them every year and it growing exponentially.  Read up on the new GM electronic platform (Global B).  All new for 21 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade.  Tesla has it right. You can analyze/update many things via the cloud. GM is putting themselves in a position to do the same thing with this release of the architecture 

I know several people who have had reliability issues with GMs SUVs in the last few years. I know a few people who own Toyota’s with none. I wouldn’t have a problem buying a used GM SUV prior to the cylinder deactivation days, they last forever. I have one. If I was looking for a large SUV or truck to be trouble free pass the warranty period. I’d go with the Toyota. I drive a vehicle through the windshield. The latest in technology is just noise to me. My navigation and entertainment is through my phone with voice commands. I don’t use the vehicle redundancy electronics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, KARNUT said:

I know several people who have had reliability issues with GMs SUVs in the last few years. I know a few people who own Toyota’s with none. I wouldn’t have a problem buying a used GM SUV prior to the cylinder deactivation days, they last forever. I have one. If I was looking for a large SUV or truck to be trouble free pass the warranty period. I’d go with the Toyota. I drive a vehicle through the windshield. The latest in technology is just noise to me. My navigation and entertainment is through my phone with voice commands. I don’t use the vehicle redundancy electronics.

Yeah, some have and then others have been lucky not to have anything crazy wrong with their SUV's.

I've also known a ton of people with Toyota's and they rarely ever have any issues. I know all of the electronics really do make these vehicles become prone to more issues, but if I am spending the same amount on a Sequoia as the Tahoe, I'd rather get the one that at least has all of the bells and whistles.

3 hours ago, Kent Kimberlin said:

You said it already!  The Sequoia is a 12 year old product.  Would you buy a 12 year old laptop?  No you would not.  Vehicles have more lines of code in them every year and it growing exponentially.  Read up on the new GM electronic platform (Global B).  All new for 21 Tahoe/Yukon/Escalade.  Tesla has it right. You can analyze/update many things via the cloud. GM is putting themselves in a position to do the same thing with this release of the architecture 

After the research I was doing the last week, I was quite shocked to see that the Sequoia is still based on their 2008 platform. That to me is crazy, but I can understand why they do it in terms for reliability issues with all of their components. I do agree with you that at least with these newer vehicles you can do a lot of updates to them based on the architecture.

3 hours ago, capricemental said:

For me the importance would be to buy from an American company.  I am a die heard GM guy with all their faults.  The vehicle will easily run past 300K miles with proper maintenance.  Why give profits to a foreign company even if it is made here?

We are also diehard GM from when I first started driving, and we have only really owned vehicles two other companies from Hyundai and Dodge over the years when GM was in a lot of trouble.

13 hours ago, CamGTP said:

The fuel mileage is horrible for an SUV in the Toyota.

I like the Tahoe better for looks and engine options.

Agreed, after driving the Sequoia it is a tank and the MPG is some of the worst. I don't mind the weight of the truck, but damn the MPG is very bad.

13 hours ago, The Zip said:

You may want to post the same message on the Sequoia forum to get an honest assessment, then make your comparison.  As for third row seating in the Tahoe while owning the previous 3 generations, the third row is not designed for an adult.  The new gen may have more third row leg room, but it would have to increase at least a foot from the previous gens to be comfortable for a small adult.  

The Toyota forums are more geared towards their trucks and sedans. One of the forums I found, they were just talking about older Sequoias which was crazy to see not much chatter on the newer ones.

After a lot of research and what you guys are saying it just seems like the Tahoe might be the better buy for us. Just have to determine if we go with the LT signature package or just up to the Premier which is quite a bit more. If we do go with the Tahoe, probably best to get the extended warranty on it to at least cover anything mechanical past the 3 yr/36,000.

If you want to do any performance tunes think again about the Tahoe. Hennessey Motorsports in Texas tried for 3 days to crack in to one to tune it and gave up. They said if you want a GM SUV you can tune buy a pre 2021. The GM trucks are headed down the same path in 2022.

For me it's not a problem since mine will stay stock. It seems to me GM is doing everything they can to lock the vehicles down and force us to go to dealers for service, and even the dealerships are sometimes not fully capable of repairs without assistance from GM.

Like the Nissan commercial says, you have never had so much technology in your driveway. Sometimes that is not a good thing.

The Toyota forums are more geared towards their trucks and sedans. One of the forums I found, they were just talking about older Sequoias which was crazy to see not much chatter on the newer ones.

After a lot of research and what you guys are saying it just seems like the Tahoe might be the better buy for us. Just have to determine if we go with the LT signature package or just up to the Premier which is quite a bit more. If we do go with the Tahoe, probably best to get the extended warranty on it to at least cover anything mechanical past the 3 yr/36,000.

My son drives mostly GM. He had two GM SUVs Tahoe’s. The lights would go crazy and stall. They gave him a deal on another 2015 Denali. Same problem. They load these things with so much technology without proper grounding and weather sealing. Then add cylinder deactivation. Being it was his wife’s car and 3 young kids. With several near miss collisions he traded for a Malibu. Imagine his wife’s joy of driving a 50K Malibu because of how upside down he was on his Denali. He just traded his ridefor an impala. That’s brand loyalty or stupidity. His wife now drives a Buick SUV. Funny though she once drove a Toyota Mini Van up to 100K miles no issues. It was easier dealing with multiple car seats. That was traded in for the Denali. She’s the one that ended up in the Malibu with 3 kids. Just traded for the Buick. After getting right side up on the Malibu.

My wife and I have been thinking of trading in her 2018 Traverse LT early next year. We've test driven both the 21 Tahoe Premier and 21 Sequoia Nightshade. Both are really nice with their pros and cons. We have had some mingling issues with the Traverse which for the most part have all been fixed under warranty. We've had two more issues creep up now out of warranty. We're considering going with a full size SUV since we have 4 kids ranging from ages 11 to 18 yrs old. It's important that the 3rd row has adequate leg room for teenagers/adults, really the only SUV that is good for that is the Traverse in its class and obviously when you jump to the new Tahoe, Expedition, and Sequoia.

I have an 18 Silverado which "knock on wood" has been good to me, but our Traverse has had several issues that I would not of expected but being a first year vehicle guess it happens. The most annoying thing has been that they had to change our brakes twice, a cilinoid issue in the gear shifter, and the passenger seat frame having to be replaced now twice because of coming loose lightly rocking back and forth. We are trying to see how the quality of the new Tahoe has been fully understanding that it is a first year redesign. We also test drove the 21 Sequoia, while it is a nice SUV, the issue is that its dated since its on a 12 year old platform where they have only done minor updates. The other thing that gets me is that its a damn tank getting only 13 mpg city/17 hwy while the Tahoe gets 17/20.

Just looking for some thoughts and feedback since I know that GM has reliability issues for years and while Toyota is a bit better in that dept, I feel for what you pay with their price tags they don't offer enough for their vehicles being on older platforms for years.

Hey, we are grappling with the exact same two options.
We really like Toyota for it's reliability. Lots of long term reviews rate the Toyota Sequoia as bullet proof. But it's dated.
The GM truck looks great and has all the tech that we want but don't feel comfortable with GM reliability.
Our decision is that most likely we will lease the Tahoe for about 2 or 3 years and then purchase the redesigned Sequoia. (Rumours are that the Sequoia we be redesigned in 2022 ) We just don't want to keep the Tahoe for more then the first couple years.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, KARNUT said:

My son drives mostly GM. He had two GM SUVs Tahoe’s. The lights would go crazy and stall. They gave him a deal on another 2015 Denali. Same problem. They load these things with so much technology without proper grounding and weather sealing. Then add cylinder deactivation. Being it was his wife’s car and 3 young kids. With several near miss collisions he traded for a Malibu. Imagine his wife’s joy of driving a 50K Malibu because of how upside down he was on his Denali. He just traded his ridefor an impala. That’s brand loyalty or stupidity. His wife now drives a Buick SUV. Funny though she once drove a Toyota Mini Van up to 100K miles no issues. It was easier dealing with multiple car seats. That was traded in for the Denali. She’s the one that ended up in the Malibu with 3 kids. Just traded for the Buick. After getting right side up on the Malibu.

That sounds like a real mess over there with those cars, sucks about all of those electrical issues to have the lights keep coming up.

My brother has had a 2017 Tahoe Premier and his has been pretty good so far surprisingly.

6 hours ago, ohmygoodness1 said:

Hey, we are grappling with the exact same two options.
We really like Toyota for it's reliability. Lots of long term reviews rate the Toyota Sequoia as bullet proof. But it's dated.
The GM truck looks great and has all the tech that we want but don't feel comfortable with GM reliability.
Our decision is that most likely we will lease the Tahoe for about 2 or 3 years and then purchase the redesigned Sequoia. (Rumours are that the Sequoia we be redesigned in 2022 ) We just don't want to keep the Tahoe for more then the first couple years.

Sent from my IN2025 using Tapatalk

I've heard so many Toyota owners always praise the reliability. After the last two vehicles my wife has had, she just wants something that will last several years.

That is correct, I've read that the 2022/2023 Sequoia will be getting a complete redesign but we can't wait that long for the redesign. I think that you have a good plan there to lease the Tahoe for 3 years and take a wait/see approach on the Sequoia redesign.

The Sequoia gets good review for reliability, but then gets slammed for the age of the truck and how they haven't done any big updates at all. It's probably one of the reasons why you don't see many Sequoias on the road but more Tahoe's, Expedition's, and Suburban's.

I will say the new Tahoe does look very nice and rides like a dream, and the updated interior is fantastic.

I've heard so many Toyota owners always praise the reliability. After the last two vehicles my wife has had, she just wants something that will last several years.

That is correct, I've read that the 2022/2023 Sequoia will be getting a complete redesign but we can't wait that long for the redesign. I think that you have a good plan there to lease the Tahoe for 3 years and take a wait/see approach on the Sequoia redesign.

The Sequoia gets good review for reliability, but then gets slammed for the age of the truck and how they haven't done any big updates at all. It's probably one of the reasons why you don't see many Sequoias on the road but more Tahoe's, Expedition's, and Suburban's.

I will say the new Tahoe does look very nice and rides like a dream, and the updated interior is fantastic.

When I was buying trucks every two years GMs we’re always cheaper and was able to buy extended warranty to cover for the length of the time. And still be under what they wanted for a Toyota. I may have done differently if I was going for long term. The GM never let me down during the 2 year term.

My last Toyota, 2011, had cam phaser issues. Toyota... determined not enough to warrant. My ‘05 Yukon was great, lost a water pump and changed it it 45 minutes.

my least fav toy had the starter underneath the intake manifold... that was the v8 ls400. 

Do not buy a first year vehicle - are there any 2020 suburbans around you? Those are well sorted in their 5th year of production, and gotta be discounted steeply. Lease one of them. There are always issues with the manufacturing process on first year vehicles that eventually get sorted out, as well as unexpected flaws that reveal themselves once people start driving them in real life. Of course a 12 year old platform will be more reliable, but so dated.

• Like 1