21 Tahoe or 21 Sequoia?

2 hours ago, Texas Daddy said:

Do not buy a first year vehicle - are there any 2020 suburbans around you? Those are well sorted in their 5th year of production, and gotta be discounted steeply. Lease one of them. There are always issues with the manufacturing process on first year vehicles that eventually get sorted out, as well as unexpected flaws that reveal themselves once people start driving them in real life. Of course a 12 year old platform will be more reliable, but so dated.

I have always been against purchasing first year vehicles, that was the issue with the 2018 Traverse we bought. We were in a tight jam at the time because my wife's Grand Caravan started having some transmission issues. There has been several first year production issues we have encountered, I know where you are coming from. It's one reason why we would consider the extended warranty this time to cover any bases with a first year production vehicle.

I've looked at a few 2020 Suburbans online that are left within 100 miles and most of them there's one thing or another I don't like.

I'm even considering driving from Illinois to Buick/Chevy Laura in St. Louis as I have heard for years on these forums that they offer the best prices. I even see 21 Suburbans on their site in the $63K range with everything that we want feature wise, but the colors are meh. I'm going to keep an eye on their Tahoe inventory to see what they do for prices.

Edited by captainzombie

• 2 weeks later...

My wife and I went to a few dealers today to drive the LT and Z71. Before going to the first dealer they had told me in the morning that they had the Z71 in stock. When we got there we find out that the stupid manager was driving it as a demo, and had it at his house and had not come in yet for his shift. Had me pretty irritated as we drove 25 miles to check it out. My wife is not sold on the Z71 and prefers the LT. We went to another dealer which has the LT w/Signature Package, 22" wheels, and the entire truck emblems are blacked out. MSRP is roughly $66k, after their discounts/incentives its around $62K. Does that seem like a pretty good price and is there even room to try and negotiate at all?

18 hours ago, captainzombie said:

Does that seem like a pretty good price and is there even room to try and negotiate at all?

I would call that a "fair" price. The rebates / incentives on these new SUVs are pretty sparse right now, as they are just rolling out en masse. Getting $4K off is probably fair-to-good, if not just plain "good". 

There probably are some dealers out there doing closer to $5-$6K off on the LTs, but not many. I've been watching Cars.com for the same deals lately, and I'm not seeing hardly any discounts of MSRP listed. 

Just remember, those 22" wheels are a $3k option. There has got to be a ton of margin in those so it would be easy for the dealer to discount a portion of that cost. At least thats my assumption.

If you took the wheels off the price of the msrp it would be 62k which is what your going to pay with "discounts". But, if these are the wheels you want and everything else is good its not a bad deal at all. Supplier discount averages about $3000 to $3500 off msrp on the tahoes/burbs and thats where you are at.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, econometrics said:

I would call that a "fair" price. The rebates / incentives on these new SUVs are pretty sparse right now, as they are just rolling out en masse. Getting $4K off is probably fair-to-good, if not just plain "good". 

There probably are some dealers out there doing closer to $5-$6K off on the LTs, but not many. I've been watching Cars.com for the same deals lately, and I'm not seeing hardly any discounts of MSRP listed. 

Agreed, the incentives are fairly sparse with any new SUVs.

I've seen 2-3 dealers when I checked Cars.com and the Chevy new car locator give roughly $4-6K off, but that is on the low end. I know that GM right now is only doing that $750 off current GM buyers so I might be able to also squeeze that in.

1 hour ago, JR09country said:

Just remember, those 22" wheels are a $3k option. There has got to be a ton of margin in those so it would be easy for the dealer to discount a portion of that cost. At least thats my assumption.

If you took the wheels off the price of the msrp it would be 62k which is what your going to pay with "discounts". But, if these are the wheels you want and everything else is good its not a bad deal at all. Supplier discount averages about $3000 to $3500 off msrp on the tahoes/burbs and thats where you are at.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

Yeah, we are pretty happy with the wheels on the truck. I can even see if they would be willing to even take another $500-1000 off, but I don't think there is much wiggle room with these new Tahoes and Suburbans since they are just flying off of the lots. I spoke with another dealer where he was telling me that as soon as these come in, they are gone within a weeks time.

Edited by captainzombie

• 2 weeks later...

First of all, if you need a third row seat that can fit human beings comfortably and have some cargo space, go with a Suburban/Yukon XL. Secondly, I'd strongly recommend against a 2021 vehicle. Avoid first model years at all costs. With the previous (K2) generation, 2015s had pretty abysmal reliability. 

As for the Sequoia, I looked at them extensively before going with a Suburban, the Land Cruiser as well. The 5.7L V8 is a beast of an engine, but the rest of the vehicle is extremely dated. I also don't like the way they package the options. If you want vented seats, you have to get the Platinum, which forces an air suspension on you (yuck). The interior is just lackluster though, especially for the price point. Yes, they're very reliable, but not worth that awful interior IMO. 

I'd do a national search for a leftover 2020 Tahoe/Suburban/Yukon if I were you, otherwise check out an Expedition/Max. 

• 1 month later...

So we actually just traded a 2014 platinum sequoia for a 21 Denali.

Had the sequoia since 2016 and it was amazingly reliable and fun to drive but our biggest gripe was the dated technology, gas mileage (not that any of this segment are fuel efficient) and lack of toyota updating the inside tech and the outside styling. I assume it’s because lower volume of sales just don’t push the OEM to add value to that model. It was frustrating that the radio screen was literally the size of an iPhone 6!!

We had an 04 Denali before this one for about 10 years. It was excellent and dependable. Started having some air ride issues but other than that pretty dependable.

We went back to GM and I love the new styling of the Yukon/Tahoe. Went all in on an ultimate edition. All that to say I hope we get the same dependability that we had with the 04 and the sequoia with the newer tech and more aggressive styling!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk