First Aftermarket Exhaust..

So I’ve had my 2018 Redline (5.3) with a K&N CAI for about a year now and have been pretty satisfied with it. I liked that it sounded pretty much stock until I got into the 2k-3k RPM range and then the CAI opened up a little bit of audible grunt, which was nice.

But now I’m contemplating picking up a full exhaust system. I’ve done a fair bit a sifting through threads here and I ideally would like just little extra growl when I get on the throttle and preferably minimal to no drone at all since it’s my daily driver. The CAI is great, but as I mentioned, you can only hear it around 2k/3k and nothing lower or higher than that.

I know Borla and Corsa are some of the top recommendations here, but unfortunately I would really like to be my budget for this sub $700 if possible.

I’ve narrowed it down to these choices. I’m self-admittedly somewhat of an exhaust novice, so any input or experience with these options would be great, thanks!

https://www.americantrucks.com/flowmaster-silverado1500-flowfx-single-exhaust-system-black-tip-side-exit-717857.html

https://www.americantrucks.com/flowmaster-silverado1500-flowfx-dual-exhaust-system-black-tips-side-exit-717869.html

https://www.americantrucks.com/mbrp-3-black-series-catback-exhaust-single-side-exit-1417-53l.html

https://www.americantrucks.com/carven-exhaust-competitor-series-catback-exhaust-single-side-exit-1418-53l-silverado.html

https://www.americantrucks.com/carven-exhaust-progressive-series-catback-exhaust-single-side-exit-1418-53l-silverad.html

Why not just have the stock muffler remove and have what ever muffler you want welded in it's place it?  It will be alot cheaper and still sound the same and have the same performance.  You already have 3" pipes which is what most of the options you listed have.

I personally wouldn't go with anything Flowmaster.  They sound good but are a chambered design and block flow.  I would go with more of a straight through design.

Edited by JONBLARC7
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, mistermcgoo said:

I know Borla and Corsa are some of the top recommendations here, but unfortunately I would really like to be my budget for this sub $700 if possible.

I’ve narrowed it down to these choices. I’m self-admittedly somewhat of an exhaust novice, so any input or experience with these options would be great, thanks!

I have the MBRP exhaust you mentioned, except it is 3.5” on a 6.2. It is very loud, cold start shakes the pictures in my house. I like it, but my neighbours hate me.  

All of them will drone in V4 mode because they delete the flapper valve. 

Do some YouTube research on the different sounds. That’s probably the easiest way to find out what you like

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JONBLARC7 said:

Why not just have the stock muffler remove and have what ever muffler you want welded in it's place it?  It will be alot cheaper and still sound the same and have the same performance.  You already have 3" pipes which is what most of the options you listed have.

I personally wouldn't go with anything Flowmaster.  They sound good but are a chambered design and block flow.  I would go with more of a straight through design.

Hmm that could be an option as well. Do you have an recommendations over Flowmaster for a muffler?

25 minutes ago, SeekAndDestroy said:

I have the MBRP exhaust you mentioned, except it is 3.5” on a 6.2. It is very loud, cold start shakes the pictures in my house. I like it, but my neighbours hate me.  

All of them will drone in V4 mode because they delete the flapper valve. 

Do some YouTube research on the different sounds. That’s probably the easiest way to find out what you like

Thanks for the reply. I looked into the MBRP a bit more, but it specfically said on their website that the Black Series is not recommended for use in environments that could have road salt. Guess since I’m in PA that rules out that option..

I found a few clips of Carven’s systems and they sound pretty nice, especially for the price. They seem like a relatively new company. Not sure if that’s a good thing or bad thing..

If you keep the rear resonator, you can pretty much put whichever muffler on it and only gain a little bit of sound. My borla xr1, was barely noticeable with the resonator it place. Once I removed that it was way louder.

Just find you a single in/out 3" muffler and and go to a muffler shop and have it welded in.

• Like 2

I agree WIth YukonXL04 

I have a Magnaflow 12909 which is a 3-1/2 off set in and 3-1/2 center out.  Which is bigger piping than you need for your 5.3.  But I wouldn't recommend it because with stock manifolds and cats it is no louder than the stock muffler just slightly deeper.  Once you put headers with no cats it gets much louder. 

But

I'm switching it out to the XR1 like YukonXL04 to get alittle more volume at idle so you can here my cam better.

Google 3" muffler center/offset to help the muffler shop fit it easier (but not necessary).  Then go you youtube and search the muffler you like for a sound clip.

• Like 1

I had the Carven R muffler and it droned bad, I had it on for almost 2 years so I got used to the drone but then I got a smoking deal on a Corsa catback and I dont think I can buy another exhaust that isnt Corsa.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Have you considered the GM Performance Exhaust?  It's made by Borla and has the flapper built into it to help with the v4 drone.  I recently got this for my 2017 and really like it, sounds nice but not obnoxiously loud. Highly recommend it.  It uses the Borla Touring muffler which you can check out videos for on YouTube or Borla's website to get a sense of sound and loudness. 

• 3 weeks later...