Which Lift Kit???

Hi All, 

I've got a 2017 GMC 1500 Denali, 5.3L, that's got a 2" RC level kit  with 285/55r20 on stock chrome 20" Denali wheels.  Looking to upgrade & put a true lift on it.  But I'm torn on which way to go.  Here are the three options I'm considering...

1. 4" Fabtech Uniball Magride and 305/55r20s - At first I thought for sure this would be the way I'd like to go.  Nice mild lift with 33" tires that shouldn't really have much of any performance issues for the truck.  This 4" lift is one of if not the only Magride compatible lift at this level. The problem is that the 305/55r20's are actually only about 3/4" taller than my current set up.  Fabtech's website states that this lift would fit up to a 295/55r20 tire which kind of surprises me & is maybe 1/2" more tire than my current 285's.   Some pics I've found show some trucks looking just like I'd like, some even running 35's, but others looking like there's almost no change to the truck's stance. 
  2.  6" Fabtech Gen 2 Magride & 35x12.50r20s - Saw a truck this weekend with a sim set up & it looks just about right to what I'd like my truck to look like.  This Fabtech lift also doesn't offset the front like many other lifts which may be a plus.  Don't know how well this would work with stock 20" wheels.  
  3. 6" BDS Denali lift with 35x12.50r20's -  Seems to be a very popular lift.  Little more expensive than the 6" Fabtech but not terribly so.  Does offset front end a bit & requires 2" spacers for the rear to match if i'm not mistaken.       

So, with all that said, what'd you choose & why?  Any pics of these set ups would be helpful, especially from those with the 4" Fabtech lift.                            

If you're going to lift it , lift it. Go as big as you can afford.

Ditch the factory wheels too.

A lot of guys dipping their toes in the lifted truck water always want to keep their factory wheels. I did at one time too then I realized the offset looks dumb IMO.

Go here and look at hundreds of trucks like yours with 6" lifts and 35's

www.customwheeloffset.com

Go to the gallery and enter your truck and see what lift, wheels, tires look like

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

9deb229837b44f41f9e73356c2579f90.jpg

1 hour ago, dieselfan1 said:

If you're going to lift it , lift it. Go as big as you can afford.

Ditch the factory wheels too.

A lot of guys dipping their toes in the lifted truck water always want to keep their factory wheels. I did at one time too then I realized the offset looks dumb IMO.

Go here and look at hundreds of trucks like yours with 6" lifts and 35's

www.customwheeloffset.com

Go to the gallery and enter your truck and see what lift, wheels, tires look like

Thanks Dieselfan1.  I do like the look of a 6" lift & 35's.  Can find a million pics of that setup too.  Harder to find good pics of the Fabtech 4" Denali lift though.  Seen a few with Fabtech's 4.5" knuckle lift & some of those with 35's as well.  Haven't seen any with the 4" denali/magride compatible thought.  

The one hesitation I have with a 6" lift & 35's is the expense.  They tend to be a little have more expensive tires, less gas mileage, more wear, etc.      

What's your budget for everything?

If you're not ready to drop at least $6000+ just for the lift, wheels and tires, and another $1200-1500 to install it, and a bunch of other stuff you'll want after you lift it, put a level kit on it and new tires call it a day.

Don't be so afraid to spend money and roll like me and my pal Frankie.

Oh and let's not forget my Bro covetedstyle[emoji857][emoji857][emoji857]

BTW I went shopping for you....

https://www.customwheeloffset.com/cart

3d5963c591edff64740994b7dca9aba5.jpgda0bad4e5022db78ab7c980eff1d3d97.jpga97649c35f3e18c091f45423ca539180.jpg

BTW we roll McGaughys 9"

• Like 1

LOL!  $6000 + $1500 for install wasn't exactly within my budget.  More like $3500 for lift & tires is more like it for me.  Staying with the stock wheels for now.  That can be changed later on if I change my mind on the look & save me some cash for exhaust that I'll need next.  Labor cost will be only for the alignment once installed as I'll do the actual lift myself.  

Nice truck you got though...   

8 hours ago, YukonXL04 said:

So not a Denali, but I have 3.5 of lift and 34s, on stock wheels, will give you an idea of the 4" lift size. I am right at 2k for tires, lift, and alignment. 

20210115_134416.jpg

Nice clean looking setup.  Any rubbing or trimming required to fit those?

46 minutes ago, steve76t said:

Nice clean looking setup.  Any rubbing or trimming required to fit those?

Thanks, I like it alot. I am running 1.5" wheel spacers, so I had to trim the back side of the fender. Could have eliminated the rub with zip ties probably, but I wanted plenty of clearance so I did the norcal mod, I have over 1 inch on all sides, all steering positions now. And the factory plastic covers all signs of trimming.

Tires are 295/60R20 Falken Wildpeak AT3W

Here's a pic next to a stock chevy

20210117_113157.jpg

• Thanks 1

I installed the fabtech gen 2 a couple months ago and have no issues at all with it.  I picked that lift because of the factory track width.  I wanted to run a 12 wide wheel without sticking out farther then needed.  

16 hours ago, vhreso said:

I installed the fabtech gen 2 a couple months ago and have no issues at all with it.  I picked that lift because of the factory track width.  I wanted to run a 12 wide wheel without sticking out farther then needed.  

What size tire do you have, what’s offset of your wheels & did ya have to trim much to make clearance for the tires?

On 1/21/2021 at 1:35 AM, steve76t said:

What size tire do you have, what’s offset of your wheels & did ya have to trim much to make clearance for the tires?

I have 22X12 -44 offset with 35" tires.  I was hoping to only need to do minor trimming but i ended up having to a norcal mod and minor trimming on the front valence.  

I'm thinking you pretty much have to norcal mod most of these trucks once you get into negative offsets. Im at a -12. Granted my kit said a 33 on stock offset was recommended tire size up to a 0 offset. Im a 34 on -12 so thats on me.

On 1/23/2021 at 7:19 PM, Jdherron said:

I have a 2018 Silverado custom. Went with a 4” lift and running 35x12.5R18. Did some minor trimming and everything is good. Love the lift. No rubbing at full turns and articulation off road. 

35's with only a 4" lift?  That leaves me with some questions... Which lift did you go with & what are you specs on the tire/wheel package?  Was advertised as a 4" lift or was the the actual amount of lift your got from the kit?