Adding Fog lights to AT4

I’m looking to add some extra fog lights to my AT4, I love my the look of the front end & grill but the fog lights are to high for some situations and I want some down lower and would like to wire them in to the stock fog lights 

Has anyone else done this and have pics?

11 hours ago, Descartian said:

What brand are those?

they're a no-name brand. it was not easy to find something that would fit there. the passage is rather small. although during the project I found that there was another bezel there which was easily removable which would give even more space. so likely these will just be a phase 1. It should be possible to build a mounting bracket for a TRS or rigid type LED fog light which would attach using the mounting points for that inner bezel.

If these keep working though they're actually pretty neat. the beam pattern isn't the best but its ok. its a dual beam LED. so its got an amber fog light and a cool white high beam. so when I turn the high beams on they turn white and send their light farther upwards. they look pretty good! I reinforced the waterproofing so hopefully they will last for a while and eventually I will design some other mounting brackets and install a larger light there.

right now they are tied into the fog lights and high beams. my eventual plan is to take over the task lights switch on the headlights knob (because seriously...why are the task lights on the headlights knob, and the fog lights button is somewhere else?) so I will use the stock task lights button to turn on my bad weather fog lights, and the stock fog lights button for the good weather fog lights (replace the useless stock lights) and I will rewire the task lights to a different switch which will allow them to work while in gear. those lights would be very useful for parking lot maneuvers in tight quarters, the factory setup prevents them from being used at the very time when they would be most useful.

Here is a thought.  The area between the tow hooks is solid plastic on gas models and OPEN for diesel models.  You could switch out the lower panel and install alight bar in the open area.   If you google diesel 1500's, you will see the difference in the lower bumper area.

I desperately want to add lighting.  I think our lights stink to be honest.  I mean they blind people, but its too focused, especially on high beam.  In the spring, I want to take my truck to a shop and see if they can fab me up some brackets to add a light bar in that opening.  If not, my only other option is the light pods that mount up on the hood.  And well, to be honest, they look like lights you just threw up on the hood....

Edited by Xterrable

23 minutes ago, Xterrable said:

Here is a thought.  The area between the tow hooks is solid plastic on gas models and OPEN for diesel models.  You could switch out the lower panel and install alight bar in the open area.   If you google diesel 1500's, you will see the difference in the lower bumper area.

I desperately want to add lighting.  I think our lights stink to be honest.  I mean they blind people, but its too focused, especially on high beam.  In the spring, I want to take my truck to a shop and see if they can fab me up some brackets to add a light bar in that opening.  If not, my only other option is the light pods that mount up on the hood.  And well, to be honest, they look like lights you just threw up on the hood....

I actually had the same thought as well. that lower piece isn't terribly expensive and it looks fairly easy to remove.

there are at least a couple of bolts holding it on for which the bolt heads are behind the bumper, but I think with a gearwrench they'd be accessible and it would be possible to remove.

mounting brackets for a light bar (or pods) could be fabricated so that they would mount with the recovery hook's bolts. it should provide a nice solid mount.

55 minutes ago, kodiakdenali said:

I actually had the same thought as well. that lower piece isn't terribly expensive and it looks fairly easy to remove.

there are at least a couple of bolts holding it on for which the bolt heads are behind the bumper, but I think with a gearwrench they'd be accessible and it would be possible to remove.

mounting brackets for a light bar (or pods) could be fabricated so that they would mount with the recovery hook's bolts. it should provide a nice solid mount.

I completely agree.  I am surprised no one has done this yet.  I did see that someone cut their valance from a gas model and installed a light bar.  This was would be easier. Just need someone to fabricate up the brackets and sell them to us.... (Hint Hint)  There are tons of aftermarket options for Fords and Dodge's..   I hoped that by now, someone would have made something that looked clean.     

I havent found a shop willing to play with my truck though.  

9 hours ago, Xterrable said:

I completely agree.  I am surprised no one has done this yet.  I did see that someone cut their valance from a gas model and installed a light bar.  This was would be easier. Just need someone to fabricate up the brackets and sell them to us.... (Hint Hint)  There are tons of aftermarket options for Fords and Dodge's..   I hoped that by now, someone would have made something that looked clean.     

I havent found a shop willing to play with my truck though.  

On the diesel model, maybe that opening is for the turbo to get air possibly?

22 hours ago, Justin Vaughn said:

HOnestly, I'd likely spec squadrons over a bar - I've had both and the squadrons were much better IMO.

You think two Squadron Pro's would put out more light then a 20" single row LED light bar?

My buddy has 8 Squadrons on the front of his F350.  Combo of spot and driving..  It lights the night.  I swear it would blind Stevie Wonder.

On 1/29/2021 at 7:44 AM, Xterrable said:

You think two Squadron Pro's would put out more light then a 20" single row LED light bar? 

My buddy has 8 Squadrons on the front of his F350.  Combo of spot and driving..  It lights the night.  I swear it would blind Stevie Wonder. 

I can say that I had 2x Squadron pros (driving, so half spot half flood covers) and 1x 20" bar - both BajaDesigns.  The Squadrons threw more light and seemingly just as far but with more flood effect.  The lightbar might have thrown further but not enough to matter.

The squadrons trumped the headlights on my 1st gen tundra.

• 4 weeks later...