Just put Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tires on 2018 Sierra SLT

I just bought this truck from my father in law, and it was in need of tires. I read TONS on this site, and ultimately decided, between what I read here, and reading reviews, on the Cooper Discoverer AT3 4S tire in the XL load rating (117). Granted I only have about 25 miles on them, but initial impressions are very positive. I love the way they look on this truck. Not too aggressive, but way nicer looking than the junk GY SR-As they replaced. So far they are quiet, and great snow traction (they were put on while it was snowing out and roads had a couple of inches on them). I looked at BFGs, General, Bridgestone, etc, and decided on these. I looked at the Cooper AT3 XLT as well, but felt for my truck there were too aggressive. I do 90% on road, so didn't want to kill mpg. We will see how they wear, but so far, very happy. I will post updates as the miles go up. Here's a few pics, but I think they don't do it justice, and from the rear, it's almost too dark to even see the tread.

IMG_6043.jpg

IMG_6044.jpg

IMG_6045.jpg

• Like 4

Well got to test the tires in snow yesterday and today. We got dumped on, about 20". Remembering that these are not snow tires, but do carry the severe weather rating, I was curious. They did very well. Shockingly well actually, but they are new, so lots of tread. So far, 300 miles in, I am still thrilled with these tires.

IMG_6108.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'm another happy owner. I can drive in 2HI through almost any snow on the road. My second set of Coopers on a truck, I will purchase again when I'm ready for new rubber.

I even tested their ability to do donuts out on frozen Lake Winnebago last weekend. Success!

• 2 years later...
On 2/2/2021 at 11:38 AM, sgiangregorio said:

Well got to test the tires in snow yesterday and today. We got dumped on, about 20". Remembering that these are not snow tires, but do carry the severe weather rating, I was curious. They did very well. Shockingly well actually, but they are new, so lots of tread. So far, 300 miles in, I am still thrilled with these tires.

IMG_6108.jpg

Can you give us a quick update on these tires after you have have them for well over a year now? Was you fuel mileage compromised at all?  Has the lack of road noise stayed the same or has it become worse?

Edited by Codeman00

1 hour ago, Codeman00 said:

Can you give us a quick update on these tires after you have have them for well over a year now? Was you fuel mileage compromised at all?  Has the lack of road noise stayed the same or has it become worse?

Sure thing. I'm at 2 years on these tires, and now have 65,000 miles. I've put a little over 30,000 miles on them. I would say they have a little more than 1/2 their useful life gone at this point, but still have good meat left. They are still performing well in the snow. I honestly didn't see any mpg loss, and if I had it it was negligible. They are a very good winter rated tire, so I've been happy. I did buy the XL load range version, so they are a bit harder than the straight passenger tire, but not as harsh as an LT, but they have gotten noisy. I suppose that's to be expected with an AT tire, but I was convinced I needed a new front wheel bearing, but was told I do not, it's just tire noise. But with good maintenance on the truck, they are wearing very even. Would I buy them again? I'm not sure. It's not that I'm disappointed, but I wasn't blown away. I will likely do a bit more homework before I select the next tire, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say there's only a 50% chance I will do that same tire. Hope this helps.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2023 at 3:42 PM, sgiangregorio said:

Sure thing. I'm at 2 years on these tires, and now have 65,000 miles. I've put a little over 30,000 miles on them. I would say they have a little more than 1/2 their useful life gone at this point, but still have good meat left. They are still performing well in the snow. I honestly didn't see any mpg loss, and if I had it it was negligible. They are a very good winter rated tire, so I've been happy. I did buy the XL load range version, so they are a bit harder than the straight passenger tire, but not as harsh as an LT, but they have gotten noisy. I suppose that's to be expected with an AT tire, but I was convinced I needed a new front wheel bearing, but was told I do not, it's just tire noise. But with good maintenance on the truck, they are wearing very even. Would I buy them again? I'm not sure. It's not that I'm disappointed, but I wasn't blown away. I will likely do a bit more homework before I select the next tire, but if I had to put money on it, I'd say there's only a 50% chance I will do that same tire. Hope this helps.

Well that's definitely not a rave review for sure.  Back to doing more research.  It's amazing someone can't make an AT tire that performs similar to a highway tire in mpg and noise.

• 2 weeks later...