Need Deleted L5P Advice

On 5/15/2021 at 9:27 PM, In2racn said:

The "heavy tow" tune actually has less HP gain than the light tow? Is this because of a loss of torque?

From what I understand, the Heavy Tow has less HP gain because the more you increase the HP, the higher and faster your EGT's tend to rise under heavy load. Because of this they keep the Heavy Town tune slightly better than stock for max GVW towing. The Light Town tune is for lighter loads to your discretion. As long as you have a monitor you can decide which is best suited for your needs.

On 5/15/2021 at 9:27 PM, In2racn said:

I will be very interested in your results should you try the resonator.

So I have been through a few different exhaust setups now.

1. Flo Pro 5" with straight through "glass packed" muffler. This had good throaty sound under acceleration and is mild through town, however had it had the most hi way drone around 110km to 120km of the three setups. but is definitely in the middle for volume of sound in all other applications.

2. Flo Pro 5" straight pipe. Sounds great and is is really loud under acceleration and still managed to stay quiet while cruising through town. Hi way drone actually seemed to be slightly quieter around 110km to 120km than the glass packed muffler setup which is interesting. I do feel that if you were towing with the straight pipe that the drone would probably be quite loud as it does ramp up as you go up hills and the boost starts to increase slightly, then goes away at the top of the hill.

3. Flo Pro 5" with the 5" Twister. Flo Pro recommends the Twister be installed as close to the downpipe as possible so there was a bit of things I had to do in order to do so. The 5" exhausts for these L5P's is actually a 4" intermediate pipe from the downpipe to just in front of the torsion key crossmember, there is also quite a few bends in there. I ended up placing the muffler delete pipe from Flo Pro in place of the muffler, then placing the Twister immediately before it which gets it directly under the back passer seat foot well. As far as sound goes, it quiets it down ALOT. The drone at 110km to 120km is still there but you have to mute the music to hear it, there is no issue speaking at a normal tone in the cab to passengers. Driving around town I would compare its volume to driving a stock mustang 5.0... its there but not crazy, almost too quiet if you like some noise. Under acceleration its similar to the muffler setup but I would still stay its quieter, by far the most tame set up. I personally really liked both the muffler and the straight pipe setup, but my wife appreciates the Twister so I guess the decision has been made for me haha.

Keep in mind I have a 2020 with a 10 speed.. the drone may differ with the 6 speeds.

On 5/17/2021 at 8:37 PM, In2racn said:

Be careful with the SOTF... After I posted the above, I saw a video where SOTF is causing the modded ECM's to fail.

I have been in contact with my tuner in regards to this. They have been dealing with HP Tuners quite closely and have even been part of the BETA team for the original tunes and SOTF tuning. It sounds like it is an operating system problem with the ECM's themselves and there hasn't been any direct relation to it being SOTF related. That being said, HP Tuners is making some slight revisions in both the Single tunes and SOTF tunes and will be releasing updates soon for all who are interested, you would just have to contact your tuner. The place I got mine done at has only had 1 customer come back with a failed ECM and it was with a Single tune. They are going to be sending me updated tunes in the coming weeks once HP Tuners releases them. I will keep you posted.

Overall, I am not to concerned. It's like anything else, some guys have injector issues, electronics issues, etc... and some don't. Guess we will have to wait and see who is lucky and who is not lol.

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to do a 30 inch J pipe to kill the 113 Hz drone noise I get at around 1600 rpm. This is the calculated length to cancel out the sound at that certain frequency. I will let you know how it works.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 5/19/2021 at 10:46 AM, Brozat4 said:

From what I understand, the Heavy Tow has less HP gain because the more you increase the HP, the higher and faster your EGT's tend to rise under heavy load. Because of this they keep the Heavy Town tune slightly better than stock for max GVW towing. The Light Town tune is for lighter loads to your discretion. As long as you have a monitor you can decide which is best suited for your needs.

So I have been through a few different exhaust setups now.

1. Flo Pro 5" with straight through "glass packed" muffler. This had good throaty sound under acceleration and is mild through town, however had it had the most hi way drone around 110km to 120km of the three setups. but is definitely in the middle for volume of sound in all other applications.

2. Flo Pro 5" straight pipe. Sounds great and is is really loud under acceleration and still managed to stay quiet while cruising through town. Hi way drone actually seemed to be slightly quieter around 110km to 120km than the glass packed muffler setup which is interesting. I do feel that if you were towing with the straight pipe that the drone would probably be quite loud as it does ramp up as you go up hills and the boost starts to increase slightly, then goes away at the top of the hill.

3. Flo Pro 5" with the 5" Twister. Flo Pro recommends the Twister be installed as close to the downpipe as possible so there was a bit of things I had to do in order to do so. The 5" exhausts for these L5P's is actually a 4" intermediate pipe from the downpipe to just in front of the torsion key crossmember, there is also quite a few bends in there. I ended up placing the muffler delete pipe from Flo Pro in place of the muffler, then placing the Twister immediately before it which gets it directly under the back passer seat foot well. As far as sound goes, it quiets it down ALOT. The drone at 110km to 120km is still there but you have to mute the music to hear it, there is no issue speaking at a normal tone in the cab to passengers. Driving around town I would compare its volume to driving a stock mustang 5.0... its there but not crazy, almost too quiet if you like some noise. Under acceleration its similar to the muffler setup but I would still stay its quieter, by far the most tame set up. I personally really liked both the muffler and the straight pipe setup, but my wife appreciates the Twister so I guess the decision has been made for me haha.

Keep in mind I have a 2020 with a 10 speed.. the drone may differ with the 6 speeds.

I have been in contact with my tuner in regards to this. They have been dealing with HP Tuners quite closely and have even been part of the BETA team for the original tunes and SOTF tuning. It sounds like it is an operating system problem with the ECM's themselves and there hasn't been any direct relation to it being SOTF related. That being said, HP Tuners is making some slight revisions in both the Single tunes and SOTF tunes and will be releasing updates soon for all who are interested, you would just have to contact your tuner. The place I got mine done at has only had 1 customer come back with a failed ECM and it was with a Single tune. They are going to be sending me updated tunes in the coming weeks once HP Tuners releases them. I will keep you posted.

Overall, I am not to concerned. It's like anything else, some guys have injector issues, electronics issues, etc... and some don't. Guess we will have to wait and see who is lucky and who is not lol.

Do you have any update to the ecm tune issue. I have my ecm at hp tuners getting the upgrade service and wondering if I should put off tuning. Have you had any problems?

From what I understand it was an issue with certain tuners base files. New base files have been sent out to the tuners having issues. I have had no problems with mine. Everything has been running top notch. Do it and don't look back.

10 hours ago, Brozat4 said:

From what I understand it was an issue with certain tuners base files. New base files have been sent out to the tuners having issues. I have had no problems with mine. Everything has been running top notch. Do it and don't look back.

Can you tell me what tuner you are using I have mine ordered at Motor Ops but have not installed them yet

• 3 weeks later...

So I decided to do the work myself. Installed the modified ecm and installed the tunes and replaced the entire exhaust minus the down pipe. Also disconnected the wires from the egr valves. At this point the truck runs so well why would I invest another 8-10 hours of work to remove the scr and egr cooler. And install the down pipe. If it’s just for more power I may just leave it like it is. It’s also still pretty quiet no drone like described with the down pipe installed

• 6 months later...
On 5/2/2021 at 10:46 PM, In2racn said:

I had the exact same tank heater issue. It was the second time my truck had Limp Mode warnings in 19k miles. This was about the same time frame as your issues,  mid January 2021. They had no idea when parts would be available, and I understand there were hundreds of dead 2020 L5P's sitting around North America. After sitting 3 weeks, I couldn't take it any longer, $1000 a month to sit at the dealer with no end in sight. I had the truck deleted with a lot of anxiety about the warranty. Cost me about $7k. 

So far so good (about 6k miles on the delete).  I have a mild towing tune (550HP) with a 4 inch pipe and muffler. I did not tune it for power, mileage or towing... I tuned it to get my truck back instead of waiting months for parts. Like you, I didnt want to roll coal or race the truck, but I do drive fast and try to keep moving in traffic. I pull snowmobiles, skid steers and dump trailers. 

With the tune, it certainly has more power, the "dead pedal" is better but still not as punchy as I would like off idle. Overall, I think my deleted LML was more powerful, but that truck did not quite get as good mileage as the L5P. Maybe the 10 speed makes the mileage better? Even deleted and tuned, the 10 speed shifts smooth, although it should improve when they crack the TCM. 

I recently had to run about 125 miles and was in a hurry. During the trip that included flat and hilly terrain, I ran at around 80 mph on the GPS and broke 100 mph about 3 times making passes. I averaged 26 mpg going a a good clip.

Some of these Youtube videos showing multiple 2020 L5P's blowing injectors has me very nervous. 

thanks for the info. I am in a similar situation. But I haul campers, cars, fifth wheels and I Hot shot for a living too and believe it or not after seeing all the issues this last winter about heaters and def freezing thousands of miles from home, it is my only recourse to delete this crap. 
I am ready to get this done. Can you please pm me who you used to tune it? Are you happy with the service? Thanks much appreciated. 

• 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I can’t be the only guy wondering if you can just tune the egr and def systems from working? Why does the egr system have to be removed? Imagine the valve would just remain closed.

leave everything in tact but remove entire dpf system.

is there really no way of accomplishing this with a tuner even now? 

• 1 month later...
On 11/3/2022 at 10:28 PM, RPaul said:

I can’t be the only guy wondering if you can just tune the egr and def systems from working? Why does the egr system have to be removed? Imagine the valve would just remain closed.

leave everything in tact but remove entire dpf system.

is there really no way of accomplishing this with a tuner even now? 

I am guessing the only part that might need to be removed is the SCR because it will clog up.  On a software delete, I believe the entire regen/emission system is just disabled. I am with you, why removing the EGR, is just a valve that can remian shut. If I need to sell or trade the truck, all I need is put the SCR back on and retune to factory.