Oil Pan Heater

This will be the first winter i will be driving my 17’ 2500 Duramax here in Saskatchewan more often. 
I typically only use the truck to go out west snowmobiling but now will be driving it more often to work. We are getting cold snaps of -38C now. At work the plugs are on 20min intervals. 20 on, 20 off. This truck is my baby. Was thinking of putting an engine oil pan heater on, while i was under there, thought what the heck, how about a trans oil pan heater too. 
i have the magnetic 200w that would work on the trans pan, and will grab a stick on one for the engine oil pan. 
that oil pan would be full to the bottom of the block right? There’s a nice large convenient area on the side of the pan. Could definitely get a 200w on there too. Or should I only stick one on the very bottom. If thats the case, i could only get a 3” round 125w on there.    

I have a 100 or 150w stick on heater on the bottom of my oil pan because I park outside currently with my half ton truck. It didn't come with a block coolant heater and this was a much faster option than taking a coolant bath. Warmer oil helps a lot.

It been -14 to -18F at night here (-25 to -27C) and with those temps it's been keeping the bottom of the pan at 70-80F (21-26C) but it's not on a timer. I leave it plugged in overnight to help start it in the morning, when I leave work it's warmed to to around 0-5F so I don't plug it in there.

Edited by CamGTP
  • Thanks 1

Typically, the oil does not fill all the way up to the bottom of the block.  For most blocks, the bottom of the block is approximately the centerline of the crankshaft, and the oil level needs to be entirely below the crankshaft so it doesn't spin in the oil and make it foam up.

You probably can use the larger one, just stick it on so the bottom of it is near the lowest point of the oil pan.

1 hour ago, CamGTP said:

I have a 100 or 150w stick on heater on the bottom of my oil pan because I park outside currently with my half ton truck. It didn't come with a block coolant heater and this was a much faster option than taking a coolant bath. Warmer oil helps a lot.

It been -14 to -18F at night here (-25 to -27C) and with those temps it's been keeping the bottom of the pan at 70-80F (21-26C) but it's not on a timer. I leave it plugged in overnight to help start it in the morning, when I leave work it's warmed to to around 0-5F so I don't plug it in there.

This has been on my list of to dos for awhile but could never decide how large. Thanks for the guidance. ? 

On 2/8/2021 at 7:56 PM, CamGTP said:

is there a formula for watts/quart of oil to heat? where did you buy yours at?

Edited by flyingfool

Most companies that sell them have a chart or the product itself tells you what size oil pan it should be used for.

50 watts is only like 1-3 quarts.

100 watts up to 3-5 quarts.

150 watts for 5-8 quarts.

I'd have to crawl under the truck to see exactly which one I got but I'm pretty sure it's around that 125-150 watts, which was enough for these engines. Napa is where I bought it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i have a large baler, with a 40-50 gal tank,  temps are at 40 degrees here and its very sluggish on 45 wt oil. runs good in the summer but its draggin butt in the morning. i really dont want to change the oil.. i probably need 5000 watts, cheaper to buy thinner oil i guess

Edited by flyingfool