Tire size

So I’m about to pull the trigger on some falken wildpeaks at3. My dilemma like most is the size. I’m putting them on stock 18’s which are 265/65/18. I’ve added rear blocks and a two inch level to the front and have 1 1/2” spacers as well. I drive 70 % highway. I do go into the woods at times and also get snow here in NY. I’m approaching 30k on the stockers and after these freak snowstorms I’ve lost faith in them. So, I also want to fill in the gap a bit and was looking at 275/70/18 but then saw 265/70/18 for $150 cheaper. Is there much of a difference? Im thinking the thinner tires would be better for highway and snow. I’m assuming they’ll both fit. I’ve been trying to find side by side to compare. Help me decide. And although one is cheaper then the other I’m not too concerned with price. I just want to be happy in the end. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in a similar boat. I dont have a leveing kit nor I want bigger tires. However, I am looking at E rated LT265/70R18. Just more load range E in that size vs the stock size. Hoping not to get any rub.

One thing to watch for is not only no rubs lock to lock at stand still. but also in motion and while articlating.

I use this website to gauge the tires different

https://tiresize.com/calculator/

I don't think an inch or two will make that much of a difference at least from previous experience I was never able to tell when I put slightly wider and taller tires on my old truck.

Good luck.

• Like 1

I believe all tires in a 275/70/18 are E rated (10ply). There are some 265/70/18s in a Standard load which is basically C rated (6 ply). Narrow tires are definitely better in snow. I run 265/70/18 E rated General AXT on my ‘16 Silverado in the winter and on my ‘08 Silverado I ran 265/70/18 Standard Load Cooper AT3 in the winter. 

Just found my local mavis has wildpeaks 265/70/18 in 116 load. I may just go for it. But then again I see toyo open country at3 in that size but e rated for about the same price. Damn I hate this. These are the two tires I’ve been trying to decide on. The weight is what concerns me.

7 hours ago, Thejet07 said:

Just found my local mavis has wildpeaks 265/70/18 in 116 load. I may just go for it. But then again I see toyo open country at3 in that size but e rated for about the same price. Damn I hate this. These are the two tires I’ve been trying to decide on. The weight is what concerns me.

If you're not towing or doing any serious off-roading, there's no need to have the extra weight of the "E" rated tire. It just ends up putting extra strain on your truck with no useful benefit.

The Toyo has a non "E" rated Open Country AT3 in 265/70/18 (116 load) that only weighs 39 lbs: https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Toyo&tireModel=Open+Country+A%2FT+III&sidewall=Blackwall&partnum=67TR8OCAT3&tab=Specs

Neither the Wild Peak or the Open Country AT3 tire is 3PMS rated in this size (if at all).

JMHO

No expertise implied or expressed

Edited by RWTJR
Add 3PMS comment

A few guys I work with have these. They like them and say they’re good in the snow. There are several options that are pretty good. People like the nitto ridge grapplers as well but those aren’t snow rated. I think the falken, toyo, and coopers for the price are top three. But that’s just an opinion

Snow traction usually not an issue. Ice what concerns me the most.

BFG KO2: weren't good

Bridgestone dular revo 2: were auful

Goodyears SR-A: okay

Coopers Discover AT: my favorite

Firestone Destination: okay

The falken used to be really cheap when they first came out. Today they are on bar with expensive tires

2 hours ago, garyo said:

I had Cooper AT3s on a previous truck and really liked them. I would buy them again without reservation.