DIC draining the battery

The battery has been running down on my 2003 GMC Sierra 1500 if it isn't started / driven in ~weeks time. Using a multi-meter between the Neg Post & Cable, I was able to verify an initial current draw of ~2 amps, then it drops off to ~1/2 amp. But then it pulses between 1/2 amp & a negligible draw. Pulling fuses, I narrowed it down to the DIC (Driver Information) circuit (aka Gauge Cluster). If that fuse is pulled, it stops the drain.  Unfortunately, that fuse is necessary for the gauges to function, so it can't be left out.  Also, I did notice the Odometer reading pulsing on & off occasionally when I was checking the current draw.

This isn't my Daily Driver anymore, so it sits for 1-2 weeks between being driven.  Several months ago, I noticed the Odometer display would get stuck cycling between the various languages. I could usually get it to settle down, but not always. Can't remember if this started before or after I experienced the dead battery issue. Finally decided the old battery needed replaced & I bought a replacement. It stayed charged for a few weeks before I went out one day to drive the truck & it was dead again. Jump it off & it runs fine.

Can the gauge cluster be easily repaired? Can I swap in another cluster from a roughly same year range truck? I know the mileage would be off, but can it be reprogrammed to match the old cluster?

you could do that if you think that is where the PD is. Or since you dont use the truck anymore, go and buy your self a battery shut off for 13 dollars and just reset your clock when you are using it. https://www.amazon.com/Side-Battery-Master-Disconnect-Switch/dp/B001N72FES and the 2nd part of your question the answer is no, you cant change the hours or mileage as it is stored in the cluster,  otherwise people would just shave off 100k before the sale. 

Edited by Sharpz

I have repaired my own cluster for the "dim shifter"... its not hard if you are familiar with soldering.... the whole took about 30mins including the time it took to remove the cluster and reinstall it... hour tops if you include the time waiting for the soldering iron to heat up and putting stuff away

Presuming you can locate the cracked solder joints for this power problem it should be pretty easy to repair.

with that said, I think that $200 is probably fair for a complete rebuild including new motors... but like the other guys said, not sure its worth that sort of money for a truck so old... but a worthwhile DIY project.

What is happening is there is silver migration on the circuit board from the soft silver solder they used when assembling the circuit boards. The soft solder can cause a short within the tiny holes on the board. It can cause the DIC to display solid squares or goofy characters or a parasitic draw which will drain the battery over a few days. Have it rebuilt with the lifetime warranty. GM Gauge Repairs does complete rebuilds for 125 to 140. https://www.gmgaugerepair.com/chevrolet-instrument-cluster-repair/digital-gauge-cluster/