2013 Sierra 1500 PO420 Code

I found a little shop in Missoula with a good reputation, and he's going to try and figure it out. It seems I'm just getting the P00530 code now with the running poorly after it is driven, shut off, then run again. I'll suggest what you said to him and see what he says.(If the wiring for the O2 sensors is good, then it is time for a new ECM.)

• Like 1

Hi everyone. I took my truck back to the Chevy dealer today, and the still insist it's the Cats causing my problem. They said they found codes PO155 / P0059 / P0050 / P0154

Here is their Diagnosis. 

Please let me know what you guys think. I trust you more than these guys. They want $1750.00 just for a Y pipe ..... plus installation.

IMG_2090.jpg

Hi guys . I took my truck back to the Chevy dealer today, and they did a free diagnostic. They are still insisting it's the Cats causing my problem. They said the got these codes.:

PO155 / P0059 / P0050 / P0154

They want $1750.00 for the parts  plus labor to install the Y pipe. 

I trust you guys more than ny dealer at this point. Let me know what you think now.

IMG_2090.jpg

I think you are right Cameron, and I don't relish the idea of another $2000 to install cats and not fix the problem. I talked with a different mechanic shop, and they want to look at it next Friday. So from what you have said, and the fact that both Oxy sensors responded when they squirted brake cleaner into the intake and got 800 MV spike, maybe it's the ECM.

Again, these codes are o2 sensor heater codes only. Nothing to do with fuel trims or convertors. Strictly an electrical issue.

Edit. P0154 is not a heater issue. The other 3 are. 

DTC P0154

HO2S Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 2 Sensor 1

DTC P0050

HO2S Heater Control Circuit Bank 2 Sensor 1

DTC P0059

HO2S Heater Resistance Bank 2 Sensor 1

DTC P0155

HO2S Heater Performance Bank 2 Sensor 1

Without a p0430 code I'm not buying the bad convertor diag.

If it were me, I would go after the 3 heater codes and see if I find a related issue with the P0154 code.

Not sure if it still holds true but it had been true that you always start with the lowest code first. The only way I see a convertor causing an oxy sensor code (P0154) would be a plugged convertor. Not likely given their age.

Edited by tbarn

I'm between a rock and a hard spot on this. I thought the dealer would be able to figure this out. My only hope now to get this solved is that the new mechanic next week can get to the bottom of this. This has gone on way too long.

4 hours ago, ChevyTuff said:

I'm between a rock and a hard spot on this. I thought the dealer would be able to figure this out. My only hope now to get this solved is that the new mechanic next week can get to the bottom of this. This has gone on way too long.

Well, the dealer did figure it out, you just don't trust their judgment.

Yea it would but don't be under the illusion that it will magically tell you what is wrong. It takes the tool, knowledge of how to use the tool, and probably a diagnostic tree. Maybe you can handle it, I don't know.