4wd Off DIC message?

only happened once. the other day I started the truck in Auto mode, got a message on the DIC that said 4WD Off. that's it, no further information. the power train indicator in the hud showed AWD, but had green icons on the rear wheels only. I barely had a chance to wonder what was going on before the message cleared itself and all 4 wheels had green icons. I can't find any reference to this message in the owners manual to explain why this happened...does anyone have any idea what this is about? it was snowing and fairly cold out but certainly not what I'd call extreme cold, it was around 20F. I'm not going to worry about it unless it continues to happen, but it would be nice to know what was going on.

On 2/17/2021 at 8:31 AM, kodiakdenali said:

only happened once. the other day I started the truck in Auto mode, got a message on the DIC that said 4WD Off. that's it, no further information. the power train indicator in the hud showed AWD, but had green icons on the rear wheels only. I barely had a chance to wonder what was going on before the message cleared itself and all 4 wheels had green icons. I can't find any reference to this message in the owners manual to explain why this happened...does anyone have any idea what this is about? it was snowing and fairly cold out but certainly not what I'd call extreme cold, it was around 20F. I'm not going to worry about it unless it continues to happen, but it would be nice to know what was going on.

In the k2's, 14 - 15, there was a problem with the transfer case software. If you left it in 4WD (not sure about AUTO) when it was below a certain (cold) temperature, the truck would be stuck in 4WD.

Maybe experiment, put it in 2WD for the night, see what happens on the next start up, then try AUTO, and then 4WD the next couple of days to see if there is any pattern.