Any luck with GM assistance after warranty

2014 silverado with 6.2L had bent pushrod and lifter replaced on cylinder 4 in Jan 2017, then another bent pushrod replaced in Dec 2017, same cylinder, both under warranty.  Fast forward to Jan 2021 and another bent pushrod on cylinder 4 repaired on my dime this time. Two days after picking up I have a P0430 code - catalytic converter failed on bank two side, which is the side of cylinder 4. So I got an OEM Y pipe to replace the cats. Exactly 1 week after picking it up from that repair I have another loud tick on the same bank with much more noticeable loss of power than any of the other 3 times. But no code. I suspect a different cylinder this time because the tick was constant in V4 and V8 unlike the other times.  Dealer won’t get to it until 2/22. The guy I spoke to cave me GM customer service number. I called and she will investigate and call me back on 2/22 as well. Truck has 87k miles on it now. 
So, has anyone had any luck with GM assistance after warranty?

Thanks

10 minutes ago, SixTwo Z71 said:

2014 silverado with 6.2L had bent pushrod and lifter replaced on cylinder 4 in Jan 2017, then another bent pushrod replaced in Dec 2017, same cylinder, both under warranty.  Fast forward to Jan 2021 and another bent pushrod on cylinder 4 repaired on my dime this time. Two days after picking up I have a P0430 code - catalytic converter failed on bank two side, which is the side of cylinder 4. So I got an OEM Y pipe to replace the cats. Exactly 1 week after picking it up from that repair I have another loud tick on the same bank with much more noticeable loss of power than any of the other 3 times. But no code. I suspect a different cylinder this time because the tick was constant in V4 and V8 unlike the other times.  Dealer won’t get to it until 2/22. The guy I spoke to cave me GM customer service number. I called and she will investigate and call me back on 2/22 as well. Truck has 87k miles on it now. 
So, has anyone had any luck with GM assistance after warranty?

Thanks

I have, but the service manager at the dealership will be your biggest help. If he/she can prove you have kept the truck in good condition, have the service records from them, they can help acquire assistance for you. 

Edited by JimCost2014
  • Like 1

I tried last year when my fuel injectors went. I was over the 3 year warranty (Was in my 3rd year) but under the 36k miles. My argument was if I was in another state there was a service bulletin/recall for the problem, that the injectors should have been apart of my drivetrain warranty (apparently not case...) and that I was under 36k.

Spent weeks on the phone to GM and got a $100 service voucher & it was the most infuriating experience i have had with any customer service. I would have had a better experience if they just told me no sorry in my first phone call.

I was looking at getting a brand new Denali but not after GM treated me like that. I'll be going F150 or Ram next.

Edited by bco268

Dealer called today. Pushrod bent again, lifter came apart again, and now I need a new camshaft. $5000 total. Haven’t heard from Gm assistance yet. Doubt I’ll get any good news from them. 
Anyone else feel that maybe to camshaft was damaged the first two times the lifter “collapsed and came apart” (quoted from service record) and pushrods failed under warranty?  Or am I being unreasonable. 

Edited by SixTwo Z71

8 minutes ago, SixTwo Z71 said:

Dealer called today. Pushrod bent again, lifter came apart again, and now I need a new camshaft. $5000 total. Haven’t heard from Gm assistance yet. Doubt I’ll get any good news from them. 
Anyone else feel that maybe to camshaft was damaged the first two times the lifter “collapsed and came apart” (quoted from service record) and pushrods failed under warranty?  Or am I being unreasonable. 

Need to call them and share all of the information that you have with us, they can help you, we can not. If you are not be persistent, they will not reach out to you.

For starters the dealership should run the repair on the “dealership empowerment calculator”. That will spit out a percentage of what GM will pay for the repair.  If that amount doesn’t seem fair, then the service manager has to go to bat for you and talk to the District Service Manager and convince him/her GM should pay a “fair” amount.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

Need to call them and share all of the information that you have with us, they can help you, we can not. If you are not be persistent, they will not reach out to you.

I’ve talked to my service team at the dealership and GM assistance about all of the above info. For some reason they don’t have a record of the first repair but fortunately I still have the documents they gave me of each time it was repaired. So I will bring that to the dealership tomorrow and see if it helps my case any. 

13 hours ago, JimCost2014 said:

That sounds kind of strange, if it were truly done under warranty, has to an electronic record somewhere.

I took them the documents today. They said because they’ve changed systems they didn’t have an electronic copy of what was done but they may have a hard copy somewhere. I brought them the hard copy today to hopefully speed the process along. Haven’t heard back from GM assistance yet but the dealership is now willing to cover 30%. 
I’m not thrilled but it’s definitely better than nothing. Should I be happy I got something and be done with it or try to pursue more assistance?  All input welcome. 

Edited by SixTwo Z71

14 hours ago, SixTwo Z71 said:

I took them the documents today. They said because they’ve changed systems they didn’t have an electronic copy of what was done but they may have a hard copy somewhere. I brought them the hard copy today to hopefully speed the process along. Haven’t heard back from GM assistance yet but the dealership is now willing to cover 30%. 
I’m not thrilled but it’s definitely better than nothing. Should I be happy I got something and be done with it or try to pursue more assistance?  All input welcome. 

JimCost2014 nailed it on the head with his first reply, it comes down to the service manager. I've lived in 6 different states and most service managers I've had were not great. I finally struck gold with the one I have now. There has been ~$7k of work done outside of warranties and I've only had to pay ~$500 out of pocket. My service manager got GM to cover the rest. So in my case GM covered 97% of all my repairs outside of warranty. Most of that total came from 2 major repairs, bent pushrod like you and both heads leaking coolant into the intake. The entire top end of my engine was rebuilt with new parts at around 72k miles (60k is warranty limit). If it wasn't for my service manager I would no longer be a GM owner. He's had my back the entire time I've owned this truck.

Personally, I wouldn't settle for 30% from the dealership. I think you've got an argument that the camshaft had lobe issues after the first or second repair under warranty. It took a little while to show back up, but to have the same issue 3 times to me says it's more than coincidence. It's a negotiation at this point and the dealership gave you their first offer at 30%. I'd push for more help from them and ask they get GM involved as well and try to match their help at a minimum. Maybe you'll land at 40% dealership, 40% GM, 20% your pocket.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, SixTwo Z71 said:

Pursue until you have a final amount, meaning what is GM going to add to the 30%.

Kind of a slippery slope right now, continue to be nice, and see what happens, it is a good start.