Cam for towing?

Doing headers, and looking for a gd cam and springs for towing. Looking for 100hp n tq increase.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

So I’m newbie to this. But why cams and not forced induction?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So I’m newbie to this. But why cams and not forced induction?

Many go for headers, cam and a tune (or programmer) over forced induction due to cost.

I can do either in my garage for the price of parts. Price them both but don't forget, if pricing forced air options, you might be replacing the cam anyway along with your injectors and maybe other upgrades, and the choice is clear to those without thousands to burn.

However the cam and headers will not deliver 100 extra hp or torque so for that kind of power you might be on the right track.
Here is some good reading...

https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4846/~/upgrading-the-ly6-and-l96-engines

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018/08/17/l96-6-0l-engine-upgrade-guide-expert-advice-for-l96-mods-to-maximize-performance/

Sent from the demons in my head

Many go for headers, cam and a tune (or programmer) over forced induction due to cost.

I can do either in my garage for the price of parts. Price them both but don't forget, if pricing forced air options, you might be replacing the cam anyway along with your injectors and maybe other upgrades, and the choice is clear to those without thousands to burn.

However the cam and headers will not deliver 100 extra hp or torque so for that kind of power you might be on the right track.

https://help.summitracing.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4846/~/upgrading-the-ly6-and-l96-engines

https://www.onallcylinders.com/2018/08/17/l96-6-0l-engine-upgrade-guide-expert-advice-for-l96-mods-to-maximize-performance/

Thank you professor.

What’s the need for only 100hp?

I am gonna take it to the shop and have them do everything. I already did 4:88 gears and that helped the truck tremendously

Mpg didnt change on e85 i still get 12 on the hwy

We’re looking at purchasing a new FW maybe towards the end of summer...right at 30ft overall and about 6800 dry, I was hesitant with our 6.0, but seeing what you haul and what you’ve done to your truck, seems like the trailer we want will be a breeze for our truck.

We’re looking at purchasing a new FW maybe towards the end of summer...right at 30ft overall and about 6800 dry, I was hesitant with our 6.0, but seeing what you haul and what you’ve done to your truck, seems like the trailer we want will be a breeze for our truck.
I wanted to upgrade to a diesel but at the prices they are going for and what i was getting on a trade it didnt pay for the 2 to 4 times i tow. I am hoping that with the 4:88 headers cam and tune she will pull the 15k lbs easier. Was great on the flats but the mountains was another story. Plus e85 is 1.69 and diesel is over 3.00 a gallon now. Gears ran me 3500 plus he sold my old set and gave me 100 back. Hoping headers cam and tune hit around 1500. So for 5k vs the extra 20k for diesel is the best option.

• Like 1

A good cam for street manners and towing isn't going to be very big, because if it was it would suck ass for doing everything but full throttle.

At a maximum you are only going to want to do a 212/218 with a mild LSA, anything larger needs a higher stall converter and that too will not help you at all for towing heavy weights.

Texas speed, Brian Tooley racing both offer some "Stage 1 or 2" camshaft that is roughly 206/212 or 212/218 in size. And you aren't going to gain 100hp. Maybe 50-65hp and similar or more torque.

A good cam for street manners and towing isn't going to be very big, because if it was it would suck ass for doing everything but full throttle.

At a maximum you are only going to want to do a 212/218 with a mild LSA, anything larger needs a higher stall converter and that too will not help you at all for towing heavy weights.

Texas speed, Brian Tooley racing both offer some "Stage 1 or 2" camshaft that is roughly 206/212 or 212/218 in size. And you aren't going to gain 100hp. Maybe 50-65hp and similar or more torque.
Thanks, Sent texas speed a email, ordering their headers as well. Might do a port n polish on the heads. Have to talk to the shop and see what they recommend. They have been working on ls motors since the beginning. They just might say bite the bullet and do super charger who knows.