3.0 Duramax S&B air intake discussion

2021 Silverado 3.0L LM2

S&B Intake

~40 degrees outside temp

https://youtu.be/gJ7BKyQOYfU

(I'm no youtuber, so please be nice about the quality)

This is with the full kit installed, and the box plug left out like the instructions. 

Very noticeable idle air noise, part throttle turbo whistle, and zero throttle deceleration air noise. I was very surprised by how it sounds, never quite had an intake sound like this. I do like it a lot. Wide open throttle wont get much out of it but the part throttle around 2000rpm is where it hits a sweet spot. There is a loud zero throttle air rushing noise that's always there on deceleration, i find it cool but some could be annoyed by it to be honest. 

Edited 14 hours ago by Lucely Engineered

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Lucely Engineered said:

2021 Silverado 3.0L LM2

S&B Intake

~40 degrees outside temp

https://youtu.be/gJ7BKyQOYfU

(I'm no youtuber, so please be nice about the quality)

This is with the full kit installed, and the box plug left out like the instructions.  

Edited 14 hours ago by Lucely Engineered

Thank you for the review.

How bad is the install? I’m assuming you did the full install to the turbo?

So the instructions recommend bottom plug out? You try both ways?

I watched the S&B video and she had her apple

watch on and it seemed there was quite a bit of elapsed time.

im guessing 3-4 hour install?

Edited by Pswa320

10 minutes ago, Pswa320 said:

In the video she says it is a roughly 2 hour install.

3 hours ago, Pswa320 said:

How bad is the install?

I bought their intake for my 6.2 and it came with a QR code you can scan to bring up instructions with pictures. They were excellent, and the owner at S&B even called afterwards to make sure the install went okay. It's the best quality intake I've seen and the customer service is even better. 

3 hours ago, Pswa320 said:

@Lucely Engineered what did you do regarding the emissions sticker on factory box?

were you able to transfer it or get a new one?

Do you need that sticker to pass emissions tests? If that is the case, I feel for you guys, that it has come to needing a sticker, to prove your vehicles are clean burning.

10 minutes ago, gemarsh said:

Do you need that sticker to pass emissions tests? If that is the case, I feel for you guys, that it has come to needing a sticker, to prove your vehicles are clean burning.

That’s what I’m unsure of but she definitely said to try to reuse sticker or get new one from dealer.

wondering how everyone is handling this?

in PA diesels are emissions exempt but not sure if not having this sticker has an impact on that.

Edited by Pswa320

22 hours ago, gemarsh said:

I luckily dont have to worry about that living in Michigan. Ive never lived somewhere that required testing so i cant help you there. 

On 3/2/2021 at 11:49 AM, Pswa320 said:

Install was fine, definitely not 3 hours. Hour and a half for me but I've worked in a shop and on my cars my whole life. Much more plastic clips than nuts and bolts. Hardest part is getting the coupler on the turbo, use the tube for leverage if that makes sense, and clock your hose clamps to the best location and you'll be ok. Box takes a little finesse to get in as well. Instructions are very well written, read the PDF.

I have not tried plug in and out, honestly i left it out thinking it will be louder. This is a High Country so i dont really have water crossings to worry about with it being out. Also not worried about the flow difference. 

6 hours ago, Lucely Engineered said:

I luckily dont have to worry about that living in Michigan. Ive never lived somewhere that required testing so i cant help you there. 

I smog checked vehicles in CA in the mid '80's. Needed a tailpipe and VIN# back then. I'm sure it's worse now.

In the late '90's, I lived in Jax, FL. For awhile they smog'ed check. Needed a tailpipe, no SES light on, visually checked for a cat and a VIN.

Don't have to worry about it now in NE either.😎

Edited by gemarsh