3.0 Duramax S&B air intake discussion

6 hours ago, Pswa320 said:

Anyone install that can provide new feedback?

has there been any negative impact on mpg’s for those not using a heavy foot for throttle response?

Absolutely no turbo whine. There is more air flow sound, but not the old school flipping the lid on a quadajet, but more of a deep echo, xlr8ing . Nothing to take away from cruising 80 mph in sound comfort, though.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Finally got around to doing the install on my 21 Sierra.  

Install:  I'm not a mechanic but am pretty damn handy.  I'd say the install was a bit more difficult than I expected after watching the S&B install video.  Lots of tight spaces to get things (including my huge hands) in and out of.   It's difficult, but if I can do it, it's not impossible by any means.  Took me about 4 hours total.  

Sound:  It's a bit quieter than I expected but on deceleration you know it's there.  

Responsiveness:  I noticed a little quicker throttle response at the low end from a start.   I haven't really put it through it's paces yet but overall I'd say there is a slight performance gain.  

MPG:  I have only driven it about a 100 miles since install.  Thus far I'm getting maybe .5-1 MPG better but I've been pretty easy on the right pedal maybe more so than in the past.  

Net Net:  I'd say it's a good value if for no other reason than the bottom end acceleration I have experienced so far.  

Feel free to ask questions.  

105593AC-E6AF-49FD-B746-A2863A306AAC.jpg

IMG_2925-2.JPG

49 minutes ago, RoadGlideSully said:

Finally got around to doing the install on my 21 Sierra.  

Install:  I'm not a mechanic but am pretty damn handy.  I'd say the install was a bit more difficult than I expected after watching the S&B install video.  Lots of tight spaces to get things (including my huge hands) in and out of.   It's difficult, but if I can do it, it's not impossible by any means.  Took me about 4 hours total.  

Sound:  It's a bit quieter than I expected but on deceleration you know it's there.  

Responsiveness:  I noticed a little quicker throttle response at the low end from a start.   I haven't really put it through it's paces yet but overall I'd say there is a slight performance gain.  

MPG:  I have only driven it about a 100 miles since install.  Thus far I'm getting maybe .5-1 MPG better but I've been pretty easy on the right pedal maybe more so than in the past.  

Net Net:  I'd say it's a good value if for no other reason than the bottom end acceleration I have experienced so far.  

Feel free to ask questions.  

105593AC-E6AF-49FD-B746-A2863A306AAC.jpg

IMG_2925-2.JPG

Thanks for sharing your experience so far. If you remember in a couple hundred miles down the road when you get an idea how it affects your mpg up or down, let us know. Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anybody notice a difference with the optional panel installed vs. not? Got my kit installed last night, it’s quiet, quieter than I thought from listening to the YouTube videos. Wondering if I take the panel out will make it any louder??

• 1 month later...
On 9/9/2021 at 8:35 AM, AML said:

Anybody notice a difference with the optional panel installed vs. not? Got my kit installed last night, it’s quiet, quieter than I thought from listening to the YouTube videos. Wondering if I take the panel out will make it any louder??

I left the optional panel out when I installed mine last weekend. I can tell a huge difference in the sound. Those that say they can't hear the intake must be deaf. I can tell a big difference in throttle response. I've probably picked up about 1.5 mpg so far. Granted, it is hard to tell if it is the intake or the truck getting more broke in since I just surpassed 1,100 miles on my new truck.

On 6/29/2021 at 5:39 PM, Stranny said:

Thanks for sharing your experience so far. If you remember in a couple hundred miles down the road when you get an idea how it affects your mpg up or down, let us know. Thanks

I have not really noticed any significant changes in MPG.  To be honest, that could be influenced by the fact that my right foot has gotten heavier wanting to hear the air flow which is only really present for me at lower speeds.  

3 hours ago, RoadGlideSully said:

I have not really noticed any significant changes in MPG.  To be honest, that could be influenced by the fact that my right foot has gotten heavier wanting to hear the air flow which is only really present for me at lower speeds.  

I was hoping you'd see some constant noticable improvement. Oh well, still considering it. I am waiting for the banks Derringer to come out. I am definitely getting that. But I think I'll get the S&b with it, I think the comb will have more bang to it. At least for the placebo effect.🤣🤣

I finally got to do a small trip with my S&B installed (50 miles). There were several hills on a 2-lane highway that the truck, before the S&B, would downshift about 1/2 way up with the cruise set on 64 mph. This trip, with the S&B, the truck didn't downshift. It seemed to take the lugging better without needing another gear.

I can hear the turbo spooling more when the truck is in the 1,200-1,900 RPM range with the S&B.